What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

I am packing the hospital bag today!

I have stuff ready to go in it - just been piling it up in babys room.

I had a hospital visit last week and the bedside units in the ward are tiny!!! So I am limiting the amount of stuff I am taking. My hospital provide gowns/pads/nappies. So, I am only taking 2/3 sleepsuits and vests, a hat, mits, and snowsuit for baby.

I will have another bag which I will leave at home and OH can bring it in if needed.

I am 37+2 and baby is still breech so looks like I am having a c-section - going to see consultant on tuesday:flower:

Am sure this has already been mentioned but I couldn't have done without a hot water bottle during my labour (especially as baby was back to back so all my contractions were in my back) sticking a hot water bottle down my trousers was an absolute god send.

Plus LOADS of food for OH!

i know its still a bit early for me but ive already wrote my list and started getting a few bits together, heres my list, can anyone think of anything else??

MY BAG...
2 nighties
pjs
dressing gown
slippers
jogging bottoms and t shirts (to go home in)
10 pairs cheap knickers
2 pairs socks
2 nursing bras
2 black towels
flannel
shampoo&conditioner
soap
tooth brush&tooth paste
deoderant
hairbrush&bobbles
make up(for if i can be bothered when i go home lol)
carrier bags to put washing in

FOR BABY
2 new born vests
2 0-3 vests
2 newborn baby grows
2 0-3 baby grows
2 socks
2 scratch mits
1 pack size 1 nappies
cotton woll
1 pack baby wipes
1 blanket
1 towel
bibs
teddy
sterilised bottles&ready to use milk(in case i cant bf coz hosp dont supply milk)
car seat(left in car)

EXTRA BAG
maternity notes
purse with plenty of change
phone
camera
drinks
sweets&food for OH
thankyou card for MW's
list of phone numbers of people to contact
for OH...(incase we are there a while, i was in full labour with my son for 31 hours lol)
t shirt
socks&boxers
deoderant
small towel

my god thats a big list lol :shrug:

i as looking in here and a lot of you are saying travel size things. You know in the usa you can order samples and i know there are places in the uk you can order shampoo, soaps, deoderants you just have to find them. Canada too, we saved a lot of money with lily and i've got a bunch of stuff now for this next coming :)

Grrrr!

OH has just seen this list and now expects me to by him a PSP!!!

This may be a really stupid question but when people say maternity pads - are those different than 'regular' ones? I know I read in one of my baby books about pads for after delivery that are like those instant ice packs you squeeze and they get cold...any ideas?

This may be a really stupid question but when people say maternity pads - are those different than 'regular' ones? I know I read in one of my baby books about pads for after delivery that are like those instant ice packs you squeeze and they get cold...any ideas?

maternity pads are huge sanitory towels that look like matresses lol, they dont have the absorbant layer like normal pads because the hospital will need to see just how much your bleeding, they are bulky and longer too which gives you some padding when your sat down (bonus)

the ice packs things your thinking of can be used for helping swelling and stitch pain if you have any you can buy some u stick in the fridge, mothercare and boots sell them

hope that helps

:hugs:

Great thread.

Think my list is complete & now just have to pack and see what is missing!

oohh can I add a sleep mask thing (the type you get on planes) I overnighted in hospital on friday and it was quiet enough but light so I was really glad of my sleep mask. I packed ear plugs too but thats only if I am in before lo's arrive as assume not hearing your own babies cry wouldnt be good heheh

God my bag is gonna be so full after reading this lol only 4weeks left and still not packed my bag omg lol best off luck all xxx

Around how many weeks should you start packing our hospital bag? i dont want too be super eager and pack it really early lol
xxx

I started packing mine this week and am 34+3 today. I still have lots of stuff to get from the list but waiting for this weather to subside.

Around how many weeks should you start packing our hospital bag? i dont want too be super eager and pack it really early lol
xxx

ive started packing baby bag as i got a new change bag for xmas and wanted to start using it,lol,also i washed the bits im taking for him so put them straight into bag. Ive brought my bag (ffrom ebay, stil waiting for it) and ive also brought some breast pads (but im using them now as im already leaking) and maternity pads, but thats as far as ive got. pack anytime u like, its always good to be organised and also its exciting :happydance: x

Okay ladies so here is my list! Not packed yet but wanted to make a list. Let me know what you think??

Me

Clothes:
Hospital notes
Nighty
PJ’s
Dressing gown
Slippers
Socks x 2
Knickers x 5
Jog pants and top (pink & grey)
Vest (instead of bra)
Maternity pads
Breast pads
Bits for Mark (underwear/t-shirt/socks)
Toiletries:
Mini shampoo/conditioner
Dove bodywash/soap
Face Cloth
Face Wipes
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Earbuds
Bobbles/headband/clips
Deodorant
Towel
Hairbrush
Comb
Moisturiser
Make up bag
Other:
Water
Magazine
Snacks (dried fruit/nuts/crisps)
Camera
Mobile phone charger
Bag for dirty washing

Baby

3 x babygro
3 x vests
Scratch mitts
Socks
Hat
Cardigan x 2
Coat
15 x nappies
Nappy sacks
Cotton wool
Babywipes
Feeding clothes
Blanket

For Mark to bring when he comes to collect us

Card and chocolates for staff
Car seat
Blanket

this might have been suggested already (this is a LONG thread!) but we got told at our NCT class that we should take chocolate as it causes serotonin release - a natural pain killer!! sounded good to me!!

The best thing I packed was an old flannel, so I could get cleaned up after (4am and numb from waist down so not the time for a shower), ds pooed and weed all over me, so it got chucked!

Also - a word of advice - try your nighties on again when you're reaching your due date. Mine seemed huge when I packed at 34 weeks, but at 39 I had to get more because they had got obscenely short, they may have been alright for after, but no chance for whilst in labour.

Take some filling snacks. All I got offered after my ds was born (at midnight after nothing but a tuna sandwich all day) was a slice of toast! There also tends to only be water, or the occasional cup of tea/coffee to drink, so take drinks if you like anything else. I got some capri suns, which didn't take up too much space in my bag.

I also recommend that you get some of the absorbent mats for before you get to hospital (hospital normally provides them whilst you're there). If your waters break, or you think they are going to, it'll save someone a lot of cleaning if you sit on one! I put one on my bed under the sheet when I reached 40 weeks, and kept one in the car, which I ended up using on the way home as I was bleeding heavily. You can use as disposable changing mats later if any are left over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->