What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

I've just started thinking about mine, and a friend who works for PCT in Somerset has suggested taking some Dettol Wipes (antibacterial wipes). Just to be on the safe side.

All done now just need a wash bag.....black knickers are a god send lol

I dont worry about packing clothes to go home in to be honest will just put pair leggings,flip-flops or UGGs and long top last time went home in PJ's no one will notice honest!

Just wear an old T shirt to give birth in and dont forget the BIKINI TOP in case you want the pool oh and hair band.x

someone today mentioned that if you have bought a book for after the labour so something like the babys 1st year month by month you can get the MW to write any tips in there before you leave. Lets face it your not going to remember half of what there going to tell you :)

Not sure if its been suggested already, but a hairband if you have long hair! My life saver last time!

Amy

I'm starting to feel a bit panicked as reading through this thread I've noticed people packing before 30 weeks. I chose to leave it til I have everything as I don't like doing half a job, but with only just over 5 weeks til my due date, I suddenly got a panic on last night and made my final bag list and from that made a shopping list.

Here is my hospital bag list:
Baby
Car seat (to go in car) with seat snug/blanket
1 pack of newborn disposable nappies (don't want to use reusables til she's a couple of weeks old)
1 pack of cotton wool balls
2 bottles (just in case)
4 muslins
4 bibs
Babywash, baby moisturiser
1 hat
1 pair mits
1 pair socks
1 little dress
1 little top
1 cardigan/fleece top
4 baby vests
2 sleepsuits with built in mits
1 blanket/shawl
1 pair of booties
Disposable wipes
Small tin of formula just in case I'm one of the 2% who can't feed :(

Mum
Gym ball - taking my own after discussing with MW as their balls are small and I am very tall. I've tried out the smaller ones at antenatal and they are very uncomfortable... I need my knees to be below hips (as does everyone) and I have a large ball so I'm taking that.
Small shaped cushion (will squash down into holdhall)
My tempur pillow and case - comfier and nicer smelling than hospital ones
A small blanket - smells of home and again takes up minimal space in bag
Loads of flannels (some to wash with, some for coating in essential oils and putting on radiator)
Rescue Remedy
I'm taking arnica from a week or so before due date but will also be taking it during labour, and after the birth, so that's going in
Ear plugs
Ipod
2 digital camera
2 empty memory cards
My own phone... but I don't go anywhere without it!
My purse with cards and lots of change in it
Handheld fan with batteries
Clary Sage Oil, Lavendar Oil, Chamomile
Tens machine
Paracetomol
Nipple cream
Nursing pads
Dettol wipes
Antibac gel
Nightie for giving birth in (suspect I will be travelling to hospital in that anyway)
Dressing gown (again, will probably be in it when I get there)
Slippers
Slipper socks
Flipflops for the shower
2 pairs of PJs/tracksuit bottoms
My maternity bra
A nursing bra
Hand towel
Large dark bath towel
Maternity jeans and comfy top/cardigan for going home in
Slip on shoes for journey home
10 pairs of knickers
4 pairs of socks
Hairband for holding hair out of face
Mascara, concealer and lipbalm
My perfume/body spray
Travel sized shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash, handcream, face cream, deodorant
Showergel
Facial wipes
Nail file
Bottle of Robinsons squash
Bag of sunflower/pumpkin seeds
Bag of dried fruit
Chocolate
Pack of isotonic drinks
Crisps
Sandwiches (to be made or boughtby husband when he goes to fill with petrol)
Sports cap water bottle
Magicool spray x 2
Empty water spray bottle
Maternity pads
Some slightly thinner bodyform pads
Hairbrush
1 or 2 CDs for if Ipod battery runs flat
Mum's, MIL's, Gran's, brothers' movile numbers written down and make sure they are right in my phone
Maternity notes
Birth plan

Husband
Deodorant and body spray
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Spare top
Pants
Socks
Slippers!
His notes!!!!! Yes, I'm giving him notes!

Things for husband to do when it happens
Help me in calling the hospital
Ring his boss with as much warning as possible
Fill car with petrol
Get loads of food together
EAT
Run me a bath and keep me calm, remind me of my breathing and relaxation techniques
Massage my back
Put the car seat in if it isn't already in
Pack the car
Get me to the hospital safely and in plenty of time (it takes 12 minutes to get there!)
DO NOT TELL ANYBODY BUT YOUR BOSS THAT I AM IN LABOUR!!!!

Things from list I still need to get
Seeds, dried fruit, choc, crisps, batteries, nursing bra, nipple cream, magazines, slippers, new slip-on shoes as mine are worn out, print off birth plan (so I need to buy new ink cartridges), small tin formula, couple of new memory cards for camera, dark bath towel as all mine are cream/white, one darker pair of PJ bottoms as mine all seem to be pink or yellow :S.

Still to do
Charge and fill new ipod (old one bit the dust), choose a couple of CDs, finish buying the rest of baby's stuff, wash all her reusable wipes and nappies ready, get the nursery put together, charge phones, charge cameras.

Control freak much? Still, I haven't done half what Ineed to do so I can't be much of a good one!

I might have missed it :haha: but I couldn't see "phone charger" on your list....you might need it :)

Thank you, but we're not allowed them at my hospital. :(:(:( Not even my ipod charger. Nothing with a plug is allowed as it all has to be PAC tested first. My straighteners have been as the electrician at work did them for me so I could take them in as I work 24 hour shifts. Maybe I could get it tested if I sneak back into work in the next few weeks. :)

That sucks!! Maybe get one of those battery powered ones?

Lankydoodle - flippin heck that list is amazing! I feel totally disorganised now. Do you mind if I nick a few of your ideas???

I'm going to pack my bag tommorow as I'm 37 weeks now. I've been and bought little toiletries for both me and baby from superdrug. I can see me forgetting something like my toothbrush :|

I'm 27 weeks... When are you guys all starting to pack your bags? Oh and this may be a really dumb question but what do you mean by birth plan?

i still need to finish packing mine,
But thought i'd let you know avon have got some little toiletries half price in their catologue their like the trial size :thumbup: Oh and the femine wash and wipes are half price too which i think i'll get as they reccommend you dont use shower gels and that as the baby will want to get too know your smell and the femine wash is probably more sensitive than other soaps,
and ashleykeil i started packing around 27 weeks but im still not finished and i had to wash all the baby stuff aswell but i started early so i knew what i had to get and i knew it would take me ages to get everything sorted like what i needed, Try not too do everything too early though else you'll have nothing to do when your further along and waiting for bubba to come and a birth plan is where you say who you want in the room with you, what drugs (if any) you'd want etc your midwife will go through this with you when you 30 something weeks xx

Great to see some of you ladies have put magicool in your bags! Almost everyone i know has never heard of it and it was an absolute lifesaver with my first! Ive packed 2 cans in my bag and might get another for home. Seriously they are amazing!!!!!! xx

I'm starting to feel a bit panicked as reading through this thread I've noticed people packing before 30 weeks. I chose to leave it til I have everything as I don't like doing half a job, but with only just over 5 weeks til my due date, I suddenly got a panic on last night and made my final bag list and from that made a shopping list.

Here is my hospital bag list:
Baby
Car seat (to go in car) with seat snug/blanket
1 pack of newborn disposable nappies (don't want to use reusables til she's a couple of weeks old)
1 pack of cotton wool balls
2 bottles (just in case)
4 muslins
4 bibs
Babywash, baby moisturiser
1 hat
1 pair mits
1 pair socks
1 little dress
1 little top
1 cardigan/fleece top
4 baby vests
2 sleepsuits with built in mits
1 blanket/shawl
1 pair of booties
Disposable wipes
Small tin of formula just in case I'm one of the 2% who can't feed :(

Mum
Gym ball - taking my own after discussing with MW as their balls are small and I am very tall. I've tried out the smaller ones at antenatal and they are very uncomfortable... I need my knees to be below hips (as does everyone) and I have a large ball so I'm taking that.
Small shaped cushion (will squash down into holdhall)
My tempur pillow and case - comfier and nicer smelling than hospital ones
A small blanket - smells of home and again takes up minimal space in bag
Loads of flannels (some to wash with, some for coating in essential oils and putting on radiator)
Rescue Remedy
I'm taking arnica from a week or so before due date but will also be taking it during labour, and after the birth, so that's going in
Ear plugs
Ipod
2 digital camera
2 empty memory cards
My own phone... but I don't go anywhere without it!
My purse with cards and lots of change in it
Handheld fan with batteries
Clary Sage Oil, Lavendar Oil, Chamomile
Tens machine
Paracetomol
Nipple cream
Nursing pads
Dettol wipes
Antibac gel
Nightie for giving birth in (suspect I will be travelling to hospital in that anyway)
Dressing gown (again, will probably be in it when I get there)
Slippers
Slipper socks
Flipflops for the shower
2 pairs of PJs/tracksuit bottoms
My maternity bra
A nursing bra
Hand towel
Large dark bath towel
Maternity jeans and comfy top/cardigan for going home in
Slip on shoes for journey home
10 pairs of knickers
4 pairs of socks
Hairband for holding hair out of face
Mascara, concealer and lipbalm
My perfume/body spray
Travel sized shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash, handcream, face cream, deodorant
Showergel
Facial wipes
Nail file
Bottle of Robinsons squash
Bag of sunflower/pumpkin seeds
Bag of dried fruit
Chocolate
Pack of isotonic drinks
Crisps
Sandwiches (to be made or boughtby husband when he goes to fill with petrol)
Sports cap water bottle
Magicool spray x 2
Empty water spray bottle
Maternity pads
Some slightly thinner bodyform pads
Hairbrush
1 or 2 CDs for if Ipod battery runs flat
Mum's, MIL's, Gran's, brothers' movile numbers written down and make sure they are right in my phone
Maternity notes
Birth plan

Husband
Deodorant and body spray
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Spare top
Pants
Socks
Slippers!
His notes!!!!! Yes, I'm giving him notes!

Things for husband to do when it happens
Help me in calling the hospital
Ring his boss with as much warning as possible
Fill car with petrol
Get loads of food together
EAT
Run me a bath and keep me calm, remind me of my breathing and relaxation techniques
Massage my back
Put the car seat in if it isn't already in
Pack the car
Get me to the hospital safely and in plenty of time (it takes 12 minutes to get there!)
DO NOT TELL ANYBODY BUT YOUR BOSS THAT I AM IN LABOUR!!!!

Things from list I still need to get
Seeds, dried fruit, choc, crisps, batteries, nursing bra, nipple cream, magazines, slippers, new slip-on shoes as mine are worn out, print off birth plan (so I need to buy new ink cartridges), small tin formula, couple of new memory cards for camera, dark bath towel as all mine are cream/white, one darker pair of PJ bottoms as mine all seem to be pink or yellow :S.

Still to do
Charge and fill new ipod (old one bit the dust), choose a couple of CDs, finish buying the rest of baby's stuff, wash all her reusable wipes and nappies ready, get the nursery put together, charge phones, charge cameras.

Control freak much? Still, I haven't done half what Ineed to do so I can't be much of a good one!

that deffinately is an extensive list! :thumbup:

I thought I would share what I had found useful and not as I read this thread a lot when planning my bag.

- disposable knickers: i dont see the point. i didnt use any. Large boxer shorts on the other hand or cheap large high underwear are very useful. not sexy but useful.

- maternity pads: buy the thick ones and lots of them. I bled for 4 weeks! i had bought the thin ones and the midwife said i wouldnt last 10 minutes with them and she was right!!!

- straws: great to drink while in labour

- dark PJ and towel: essential for after.

- breastpads: useful now but not while in hospital. Milk only comes in 3 days after.

- facial wipes: great for quick clean.

Apart from that, i had brought way too much food as i wasnt that hungry during labour.

-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"