What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

baby's toiletories; baby soap,powder oil,petroleum jelly,olive oil,disinfectant,cotton wool, menthylated spirit and bandages.,
mummy's deodorant,perfume,balm and light make up bag with light requisites, going home shoes

what would we need to pack disinfectant, menthylated spirit and bandages in our hospital bags for? :shrug: sorry if i sound thick lol

disinfectant is added a little to the baby's bath water to prevent water infections. babies are not as immuned as we are yet. the menthylated spirit is for regular cleaning of the baby's cord at every diaper change to prevent decay and bad smell and the banages is used to tie the cord lightly to the baby's waist to prevent being yanked off mistakenly when carrying the baby or breastfeeding. because yanking off the cord accidentally can cause bleeding which may lead to blood infusion or may be life threatening to the baby. thogh some hospitals may provide these themselves. it all depends on the level of responsibilties they are willing to take towards the direct needs of the baby. so just have yours in case......

baby's toiletories; baby soap,powder oil,petroleum jelly,olive oil,disinfectant,cotton wool, menthylated spirit and bandages.,
mummy's deodorant,perfume,balm and light make up bag with light requisites, going home shoes

what would we need to pack disinfectant, menthylated spirit and bandages in our hospital bags for? :shrug: sorry if i sound thick lol

disinfectant is added a little to the baby's bath water to prevent water infections. babies are not as immuned as we are yet. the menthylated spirit is for regular cleaning of the baby's cord at every diaper change to prevent decay and bad smell and the banages is used to tie the cord lightly to the baby's waist to prevent being yanked off mistakenly when carrying the baby or breastfeeding. because yanking off the cord accidentally can cause bleeding which may lead to blood infusion or may be life threatening to the baby. thogh some hospitals may provide these themselves. it all depends on the level of responsibilties they are willing to take towards the direct needs of the baby. so just have yours in case......

i didnt use any of those when i had my son :shrug:

Neither did I :shrug:

I guess this question is directed to second time moms.
How long did you stay in the hospital with a normal vaginal delivery without complications. How long is a typical stay? Just wondering how much to pack for baby and how many outfits to pack for me.

it depends the hospital may have used theirs and maybe they do not bother expecting mums with those details hence they just do those themselves and provide them as part of their own responsibility. my hospital demands that mums bring theirs. according to them they do not want to sued with regard to the brand of products they used at the time in case of brand products reaction the mums will then be responsible for the brands they chose

Neither did I :shrug:

just like i explained to happygal it depends on the hospital and their responsibility policies

How long did you stay in the hospital with a normal vaginal delivery without complications. How long is a typical stay? Just wondering how much to pack for baby and how many outfits to pack for me.

i have four kids and all were delivered with normal vaginal delivery. each time i spent just 24 hours since i usually do not have a tear nor grases also no complications. so the 24 hours is to monitor the baby and i. for the mum is to monitor the blood pressure regularly to be sure there is no danger of postnatal elamsia[hypertension]. but if the hospital notices that the mum's blood pressure is unstable they will not discharge the mum until the blood pressure is under control. so jut pack for 2 or 3 nights to be on the prepared side:winkwink:

Ok this is a really daft question but are maternity pads the same thing as nighttime sanitary pads or can you actually buy special maternity pads??
Thank you!!!

With my son I only stayed 1 night. I had a normal delivery with no complications. I think they wanted me to stay a 2nd night (to show me how to bathe baby) but I refused. I couldnt stand it! lol
Im hoping not to even stay overnight this time. Deliver and go!

Ok this is a really daft question but are maternity pads the same thing as nighttime sanitary pads or can you actually buy special maternity pads??
Thank you!!!

yes we have maternity pads they are usually extra absorbent,wrapped in something like a disposable net,softer and easy to see the contents of the blood clearly. they are not usually covered with plastic gauze that lets the blood penetrate without leaving a stain on the surface. the reverse is the case here cos the hospital will inspect it from time to time to determine blood clots, blood flow and extent of bleeding. here they recommend ladysept or comfit

Thanks chiefs wife!!! I'll start keeping an eye out for some. X

I bought a water spray thing yesterday from pound shop as a few people have recommended one for labour.

Last time I stayed in for 4 days. My baby was jaundiced so I had to stay in a 3 days. I was a young Mum and wanted the rest, so told the midwives I needed more help breast feeding so I could stay an extra night! I didn't wear any "outfits" in hospital. Just a nightie and dressing gown.

I'm not sure if all hospitals are the same, but Kettering Hospital told us that as long as Mum and Baby are both healthy, we can both go home 6 hours after delivery. BUT you have to wait for the Obstetrician to come round and check the baby over, and if he's busy it could be anything up to 10 hours. Once he's happy the baby is fine though, you can go home. They said we are welcome to stay for one night if we want help feeding or need the rest.

I think I will stay in one night, but really want to get home to my family and get into a routine, so won't stay any longer. I have packed 4 vests and 4 sleepsuits. If there are any complications and I have to stay in longer, my DH can always bring more in for me.

Do you think i should start packing my hospital bag?? where do i start?? x

Do you think i should start packing my hospital bag?? where do i start?? x

start from your baby's needs. that's most important then yours[which can always be brought to you at the hospital after you have delivered].

I know this will be the least of my worries but what's everyone wearing for the actual labour like what sort of nighty or whatever
& will i need to pack a spare of this ?

Hey guys,

been away for a long time moving and getting stuff sorted, but i have a quick question.

I won't be breastfeeding my baby, so i was wondering do you have to take your own bottles and such in with you... ?

Hey guys,

been away for a long time moving and getting stuff sorted, but i have a quick question.

I won't be breastfeeding my baby, so i was wondering do you have to take your own bottles and such in with you... ?

i think youll need to ask your own mw hun. it seems like different hospitals do things differently. my mw has told me that even though im planning on bf, i still need to take bottles and milk with me just in case i cant bf for any reason, but i know alot of people on here have said that their hospitals will provide milk xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->