What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

what size/kind of bag is everyone using? i have most things to put in my bag.. just don't have an actual bag :dohh: x

what size/kind of bag is everyone using? i have most things to put in my bag.. just don't have an actual bag :dohh: x

I'm using a small suitcase ; I have my stuff on one side and baby's stuff on the other side.
I figured that was easier than 2 bags! *One for me, one for her*

sorry if i posted this before...can't remember.

my prenatal yoga instructor suggested coconut water/juice.

here's some info i found:
Drink the Coconut Water instead of plain water. Coconut water is like a natural sports drink. It contains the five essential electrolytes your body needs to keep nerves firing, muscles moving and to help manage stress. It has more potassium than a banana - 15 times more than most sports drinks - to prevent cramping and promote recovery. Drink it before or during birth for the natural energy you need. After birth, coconut water replenishes and re-hydrates you to speed recovery. -https://www.ehow.com/how_4806487_recover-childbirth.html

candle (if the hospital will allow)
aromatherapy spray/water mister

also, and i think i just saw this on here, hard candies.

oh and a journal..to put little footprints in:cloud9:

Wow mrsmartin is that usual for the USA? Here in the UK at my local hospital you have to pack like you are going away for a weeks holiday! lol, they provide me with nothing, unless its an emergency and they will provide A bottle of milk or A nappy if necessary!

I'm not mrsmartin but yep thats pretty standard for here...they give you diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment...for lil boys they even give you that medicated ointment for after a circumcision, umm, lil onesie shirts, a hat, tons and tons of little recieving blankets, and if you have problems with breastfeeding they will even supply you with formula until you leave the hospital...i think thats about it but I could be mistaken...(my SIL gave birth May 27th so I'm trying to remember what all they supplied her with)

And they'll give the mommy pads, but they are the OLD SCHOOL ones with the jock strap looking thing that holds your pad in place, lol No adhesive ones! :rofl:

I thought I might suggest a baby hair brush. Some of you may laugh but my little boy had so much hair when he was born we had to buy one from the hospital gift shop to brush his hair after his baths!!! I won't be caught out this time - its already packed in her bag!!!

i packed hair brush too. here they even put it in the list that you are given at the hosp. cos of our african kinky hair. if you don't start brushing immediately it may be very painful for the baby afterwards

Bendy straws. Brilliant for when you're feeding afterwards in hospital and are really thirsty but haven't yet got the confidence to hold the baby and a glass of water/cup of tea. Your partner/husband can hold the drink while you use the bendy straw to drink.
Highly recommend!

After birth
Boots Staydry Pants -they are really usefull,comfortable a specially after c-section

With my son I ended up having an epidural, my other half fell asleep (!) and I was rather bored as the epidural worked a treat, I took a pack of cards to keep us entertained when he was awake, and magazines and a book for me when he was asleep.

Also handy as you feel so exhilarated after giving birth so can't sleep, and there isn't much to do on the ward when it's the middle of the night and baby is asleep!!

I have 2 small holdalls, on wheels to make it easier (for other half!!), neither are full.

I was in a couple of days with my son, so I am planning on filling one with labour stuff that I don't need, dirty clothes and presents if I'm kept in again after a day or so for my other half to take home, so I'm not leaving with hundreds of carrier bags like I did with my son as I only took 1 holdall which was jam packed.

I went to Matalan yesterday and managed to get a little travel toiletry bag with small empty bottles and little lip balm size tubs in for £4. Bargain.

I love when the lists say iPOD/reading matter etc - there is no way on hell or earth that my first would have been quiet for long enough for me to avail myself of either the first time round! Wonder if the second will be a quieter being?

The hospital pillows were great. Although unlike my sister I didnt quite manage to steal one.

Started mine early for alfie i have
4 pairs scratch mitts
2 hats
Clothing
Ecopals comfort blanket
Soft toy bunny
Booties
Nappies disposable and cloth
Toiletries
Two bath towels
Wipes
Cotton wool balls
Hair brush and comb
Face cloths
Need to put shawl in
Anything else i need for him?

Tea Tree oil- a few drops on your pad if you get stiches

Arnica tablets helps with brusing down below:flower:

I decided today that it's time i got a waddle on and started giving an emergency bag some thought. Tbh it still feels too early. I'm planning a homebirth and don't know whether I'd still need to pack as much incase I get my wish but obviously would rather have a bag of some sort ready just incase i have to go in for any reason. Would I still need to pack loads? Its exhausting just thinking about it lol.... any help here much appreciated xx

some hospitals have changing mats and some dont. It wouldnt hurt to take your own at least you'd know it was clean

Ive packed babys changing bag with all her things and theres a travel one in there x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->