What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

Great list! Been looking for something like this to help prepare the wife for the trip to the hospital!

Hmmmm..... I think we need a separate USA thread for what to pack. Seems like 90% of what you ladies have listed, our hospitals provide. We don't bring toiletries for the baby, we don't use cotton wool (?), the hospital provides the baby wipes and the diapers, and well.....they provide pretty much everything we need till we go home. This is my 4th baby and I will be packing in 1 small bag. We don't wear our own gowns for labor, delivery, and clothes are provided for the baby till we go home. Also, here in the USA we typically don't pack ANYTHING for DH (like a change of clothes) as he is quite capable of going home and changing for himself. I see some people were taking toiletries etc for their partner....do they stay over night?:shrug: While there are some good suggestions on here.....like I said most are not applicable here in the US.

I agree :) Although my hubby packed a bag this time with a change of clothes as he stays the whole time I'm there. We live 45 min. away and it's our bonding time with baby so he stays with me:thumbup:

i was reading through some of the pages and someone mentioned bringing a couple of diapers for the ride home just in case. how in the world are you supposed to change a dirty diaper if the baby is in a car seat?! unless you have a really long drive and you would have to make a pit stop to change LO. :shrug:

i was reading through some of the pages and someone mentioned bringing a couple of diapers for the ride home just in case. how in the world are you supposed to change a dirty diaper if the baby is in a car seat?! unless you have a really long drive and you would have to make a pit stop to change LO. :shrug:

I live 5 mins from the hospital so maybee not on that journey but I always kept a change mat, nappy and wipes next to the car seast for the first few months. You get used to changing the baby on the drivers seat!

I took an entire suitcase worth of things when I gave birth, and didn't use even half of it.

The things that I assumed the hospital would have (shampoo and conditioner, clothes for baby) they didn't, and the stuff I thought they wouldn't have (nappies), they did!

Next time I will take 2 small bags, 1 for me and 1 for the baby.

My bag:
Clothing for me
Shampoo, conditioner and my own soap and handwash (the hospital soaps were horrible)
Camera and spare batteries
Snack foods and a drink bottle
Hairbrush
Hairties
Moisteriser
Toothbrush
Nipple cream

Baby:
Clothes
Swaddle
Wipes (didn't like the hospital ones)

Because I ended up having an emergency c-section, I couldn't get off the bed for about 20 hours and no one wanted to put my suitcase up on the bed for me as it was too awkward. So 2 small bags for sure next time in case it happens again.

I live 5 mins from the hospital so maybee not on that journey but I always kept a change mat, nappy and wipes next to the car seast for the first few months. You get used to changing the baby on the drivers seat!

well, i certainly understand if you're out and about to have changing stuff and the need to change LO before getting out of the car... but for going home from hospital? :shrug: guess i'm just not understanding lol

Hi Ladies

I am so glad iv been reading this thread, its super useful, but my hospital bag is going to have to be a suitcase. Would you mind casting your eye over this list which iv compiled from all the great ideas on here,l and tell me what I can do without??

Thank you :flower: I appreciate it xxxxxxx
Hospital bag List

Labour

Birth plan
Maternity notes (don't forget them)
Nightie
Dressing gown
Slippers
Socks
Underwear-disposable or throwaway BLACK
Massage oil
Lip balm
Sweets/snacks/drinks
Book
Water spray/Cooling spray
Handheld fan
Glasses
Contact lenses solution
Face wipes
Moisturiser
Makeup
Inhalers
Pillow
Birthing Ball
Plastic bags for dirty clothes
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Hairbrush

Pauls Bag

2 T-shirts
Fresh socks & pants
Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Camera (+ new battery if digital)
IPod
Q magazine
Spare loose change
PLENTY of change in a money bag for drinks machines etc.
Snacks/drinks
Numbers on a separate piece of paper in case of mobile problems
Anti-bacterial travel sized gel

After Birth

Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Fresh Pyjamas/Nightdresses
Socks
Breast pads
Breast Pump
Nursing bras
Loose underwear/disposable knickers
Night time sanitary towels
Nipple Cream
Makeup
Fresh clothes for going home BLACK

For Baby

Car seat
2/3 baby vests
2/3 baby grows
Teddy
Muslins/Bibs
Blanket/Shawl
Scratch mitts
Nappies
Wipes
Cotton wall buds
Nappy bags
Clothes for trip home
Socks or Booties
Hat
Cardigan/coat

Check:

What does the hospital supply?

i love this thread helping me a great deal!
just wanted to ask when do you think is best time to pack your bag? im 28 weeks now when should i do it? and im really confused about what bags to use. like what size and do i bring a seperate one for baby or put baby stuff with my after labour stuff in one bag then have just a labour bag on its own..i have such bad baby brain at the moment hehe

Loving this thread right now been trying to think of what i need to get for my bag for a bit now lol (silly me didn't think to look for a thread on it) :D

When should i start packing it?

missmummy2be when are you due. im due in 12 weeks and still dont know when to pack it and what kind of bags to use..cant wait to do it though. exciting :)

Great thread, has helped quite a bit. I'm 37 wks and probobly should have had my bag packed before today...but finally have it mostly done.

I'd probobly wait till 34-35wks to pack...however if you have extras of everything then it doesn't hurt to pack earlier.

It's never too early to pack your bags ladies...none of us are guaranteed a 40 week pregnancy ;)

Start to my list :D
For Labour
Hospital paperwork - registration card/health record or similar
Medicare card and/or private health insurance company card
Lip Balm/paw paw ointment
Hair bands
Iceblocks
Water bottle
Phone
Phone charger
Phone credit
Camera
Camera battery charger
Video camera
Facewashers
Gatorade/Powerade/Lemonade
Snacks, drinks and spare clothes/swimmers/towel for your birthing partner - in case they want to get in the shower with you.
Snack food
Thongs
CD or ipod etc if you want (or think you will want) music!
Heat pack
Socks
Baggy shirts/singlets
Mints
Birth plan
Stress balls
List of phone numbers
Massage oil
Spare change
For Mum
Shampoo/conditioner/shower gel
Shower puff
Towels
Clothes
A book to read (maybe a breastfeeding book)
A pen/notebook
Your own pillow
Nice clothes to wear home/wear in photos
Moisturiser
Posh toilet paper/flushable wipes (hospital toilet paper can be rough, post-birth)
Maternity pads
Cheap pack of black undies/mens undies
Pyjamas/nighties - ones with easy access for breastfeeding
Paw paw ointment
Ural - will help take the sting out of your pee
Ear plugs
Hairbrush
Maternity bra
Snacks/lollies/chocolate/fruit drink (poppers), muesli bars
Dressing gown
Slippers
Nursing pads
Spare change
Nice clothes that make you feel good, don't dig around your waist and are easy to breastfeed in
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Makeup
Deodorant
Plastic bags for dirty clothes (for you and bub)
Maternity shirts (you wont shrink back down to your old size overnight!)
For baby
Check what your hospital provides before you pack for baby ...
Nappies
Singlets x 3
Grosuits x 3 (at least) - in at least two sizes!! take some 0000 clothes and some 000 even a 00000 if you like, that way whatever size bub is they will have something to wear
Beanies
Mittens
Blankets/bunny rugs
Nice going-home outfit for bub
Muslin wrap
Socks
A dummy (just in case, washed and sterilised)
Big tub of wipes

Edit: ok maybe a bit more then a start lol

Please can someone help me??

xx

Hi Ladies

I am so glad iv been reading this thread, its super useful, but my hospital bag is going to have to be a suitcase. Would you mind casting your eye over this list which iv compiled from all the great ideas on here,l and tell me what I can do without??

Thank you :flower: I appreciate it xxxxxxx
Hospital bag List

Labour

Birth plan
Maternity notes (don't forget them)
Nightie
Dressing gown
Slippers
Socks
Underwear-disposable or throwaway BLACK
Massage oil
Lip balm
Sweets/snacks/drinks
Book
Water spray/Cooling spray
Handheld fan
Glasses
Contact lenses solution
Face wipes
Moisturiser
Makeup
Inhalers
Pillow
Birthing Ball
Plastic bags for dirty clothes
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Hairbrush

Pauls Bag

2 T-shirts
Fresh socks & pants
Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Camera (+ new battery if digital)
IPod
Q magazine
Spare loose change
PLENTY of change in a money bag for drinks machines etc.
Snacks/drinks
Numbers on a separate piece of paper in case of mobile problems

After Birth

Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Fresh Pyjamas/Nightdresses
Socks
Breast pads
Breast Pump
Nursing bras
Loose underwear/disposable knickers
Night time sanitary towels
Nipple Cream
Makeup
Fresh clothes for going home BLACK

For Baby

Car seat
2/3 baby vests
2/3 baby grows
Teddy
Muslins/Bibs
Blanket/Shawl
Scratch mitts
Nappies
Wipes
Cotton wall buds
Nappy bags
Clothes for trip home
Socks or Booties
Hat
Cardigan/coat

Check:

What does the hospital supply?

we've been to see mum his weekend in her caravan and when i got there she had me a bag full off goodies, nearly everything i need for myself for the hospital all in a lovely big bag!! she did give chris a bottle of wine that he drank and made me feel so jelouse grrr.... ive just made my list now by browsing thro this so will go and make a start on packing it shortly!

After reading the list I think it's going to be a hospital suitcase!!

i have got my boots changing bag for things for baby and a small holdall for me coz i would need towels etc ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->