What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

Well, Thomas' bag is about done. All I need to put in is dummies and some bepanthen.

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252457_2158042515791_1388356992_2544987_2226967_n.jpg

- 10 nappies
- 2 muslin cloths
- cotton wool
- 2 bibs
- 5 pairs breast pads
- nipple cream
- anti bacterial gel
- nappy sacks
- 4 newborn vests
- 4 newborn sleepsuits
- 1 newborn hat
- 1 cardigan
- 1 blanket

Great lists ladies. I will be stealing some ideas. Keept thinking I must start packing soon and this thread has given me the inspiration too! xx

You're not allowed to plug anything into the wall at mine (UK) so not sure what to do about ipod docks and chargers for phone etc.

Are you really bringing towels?? (UK) Dont they provide that? Sigh....

Nope UK are not known for providing anythng! There are some towels but apparantly they are usually scratchy and thin :(

Rofl, actually last time i was in hospital, i was waiting to go in the shower when a nurse asked me if i wanted a towel. I did actually need one seeing as i only had my facetowel, so i said yes - she asked "Small or large?" - I said large. But she never came back with one!! When i finally got into the toilet for my shower, i heard a knock on the door and the nurse called through "Gemma, i've got your towel here, do you want me to bring it in?"

"Erm, no, can you leave it there please?" (I was naked! :blush:)

"Oh, erm okay...." (I didn't know why she was so confused!)

Anyway, i ended up completely forgetting about the towel and had my shower. As i walked out of the toilet, i saw this huge nappy type thing in front of me - and i remember thinking "OMG thats what she meant by towel!" :rofl:

It made perfect sense why she'd ask me for a sanitary pad as i was in hospital with early pregnancy bleeding, but i'd thought she'd meant an ACTUAL towel!! :dohh: I was so embarrassed and didn't know what to do so i just legged it back to my bed and hoped they'd take it away :rofl:

:haha:

Rofl, actually last time i was in hospital, i was waiting to go in the shower when a nurse asked me if i wanted a towel. I did actually need one seeing as i only had my facetowel, so i said yes - she asked "Small or large?" - I said large. But she never came back with one!! When i finally got into the toilet for my shower, i heard a knock on the door and the nurse called through "Gemma, i've got your towel here, do you want me to bring it in?"

"Erm, no, can you leave it there please?" (I was naked! :blush:)

"Oh, erm okay...." (I didn't know why she was so confused!)

Anyway, i ended up completely forgetting about the towel and had my shower. As i walked out of the toilet, i saw this huge nappy type thing in front of me - and i remember thinking "OMG thats what she meant by towel!" :rofl:

It made perfect sense why she'd ask me for a sanitary pad as i was in hospital with early pregnancy bleeding, but i'd thought she'd meant an ACTUAL towel!! :dohh: I was so embarrassed and didn't know what to do so i just legged it back to my bed and hoped they'd take it away :rofl:

Haha! Brilliant! :dohh: Sounds like something that would happen to me lol! :haha:

Please can someone help me??

xx

Hi Ladies

I am so glad iv been reading this thread, its super useful, but my hospital bag is going to have to be a suitcase. Would you mind casting your eye over this list which iv compiled from all the great ideas on here,l and tell me what I can do without??

Thank you :flower: I appreciate it xxxxxxx
Hospital bag List

Labour

Birth plan
Maternity notes (don't forget them)
Nightie
Dressing gown
Slippers
Socks
Underwear-disposable or throwaway BLACK
Massage oil
Lip balm
Sweets/snacks/drinks
Book
Water spray/Cooling spray
Handheld fan
Glasses
Contact lenses solution
Face wipes
Moisturiser
Makeup
Inhalers
Pillow
Birthing Ball
Plastic bags for dirty clothes
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Hairbrush

Pauls Bag

2 T-shirts
Fresh socks & pants
Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Camera (+ new battery if digital)
IPod
Q magazine
Spare loose change
PLENTY of change in a money bag for drinks machines etc.
Snacks/drinks
Numbers on a separate piece of paper in case of mobile problems
Anti-bacterial travel sized gel

After Birth

Toiletries bag
Hand towel
Fresh Pyjamas/Nightdresses
Socks
Breast pads
Breast Pump
Nursing bras
Loose underwear/disposable knickers
Night time sanitary towels
Nipple Cream
Makeup
Fresh clothes for going home BLACK

For Baby

Car seat
2/3 baby vests
2/3 baby grows
Teddy
Muslins/Bibs
Blanket/Shawl
Scratch mitts
Nappies
Wipes
Cotton wall buds
Nappy bags
Anti-bacterial travel sized gel
Clothes for trip home
Socks or Booties
Hat
Cardigan/coat

Check:

What does the hospital supply?

My list/lists are almost exactly the same as yours hun but I'm a first timer too so I dunno if I've got too much on there!!! I always like to be prepared though. I think that different hospitals supply different things so I wouls ask your mw at your next appointment or at your antenatal classes if you're doing them to see what they provide where you will give birth.

Sarah.xxx

I'm not pregnant (yet, fingers crossed!) but was just checking out this thread and seeing all the things women have to bring made me feel so lucky! The hospital in my town is great, they supply so much stuff!
For mom: pads, disposable underwear, 'change pads' that you can put under you when you sleep in case you leak, washcloths, towels, vaseline for lips, breast pumps (which you can also rent out after if you don't have one) and seriously they have the worlds comfiest beds! When my best friend was in labour she was cold so they took tons of blankets and warmed them then wrapped her up in them! And they give you extra disposable underwear and pads to take home.
For baby: onesies (or nappies I guess they are called in the UK?), diapers, soothers, blankets, baby wash & shampoo, bottles, etc.

I'm so happy I won't have to pack a huge bag when my day finally comes!

I'm not pregnant (yet, fingers crossed!) but was just checking out this thread and seeing all the things women have to bring made me feel so lucky! The hospital in my town is great, they supply so much stuff!
For mom: pads, disposable underwear, 'change pads' that you can put under you when you sleep in case you leak, washcloths, towels, vaseline for lips, breast pumps (which you can also rent out after if you don't have one) and seriously they have the worlds comfiest beds! When my best friend was in labour she was cold so they took tons of blankets and warmed them then wrapped her up in them! And they give you extra disposable underwear and pads to take home.
For baby: onesies (or nappies I guess they are called in the UK?), diapers, soothers, blankets, baby wash & shampoo, bottles, etc.

We call Onesies- vests, Nappies are diapers :winkwink:

We call Onesies- vests, Nappies are diapers :winkwink:

Oh haha! I'm so confused by some of the UK lingo for baby stuff!

This thread is very useful. I've slowly started to pack my bag just incase.

Oh my, thanks for the list, i have copied it and saved it in word as I know i will forget half the stuff. All I had thought about so far was things for the baby and things for my step daughter as hopefully she will be with us. I knew I needed things for the daddy and me but it is more fun to think about what the children need.
Kari

Thanks everyone,
Im going to start my bag this week

Loads of fab idea xx

1 i thought of last night (at 3am! pregnancy insomnia!)
A soft tape measure to measure the length of your baby. With DD the hosp didnt measure a healthy baby as practise so they wouldn't measure my DD, i had to come up with some crap and bull story about how i wanted to measure her and measure the clothes to make sure it wouldn't be to small and hurt her! they obviously knew i was lying but luckily they gave me a tape measure so i could jot down her birth length.
This time im going to be making sure i have 1 packed in a bag with nail clippers and small scissors and tiny press seal bags so that i can take a little snip of newborn hair and a few little newborn nail clippings (as long as she has longish nails) :) its a really sweet thing to do, i have DDs in a little food container and everytime i see them it reminds me of how tiny she was at birth :) xx

I remember posting in this thread!

The only things I used:

towels.
maternity towels.
knickers.
pyjamas & one going home outfit.
shampoo and conditioner.
magazine and book.
one packet of sweets.

I was in hospital for 3 days too. I was induced at 42 weeks also.

I used all of Jake's baby things though. I just took loads for myself and never ever used it!!

So to add my finalised list:

My bag -
Birth plan and notes
3 x magazines
1x pack biscuits
3 x bottles isotonic energy drinks
1 x water bottle (inbuilt water filter one, hospital tap water, eurgh!)
1 x pack of mint sweets
Bikini top
Flip flops (Dont do slippers and don't like thought of showering in bare feet!)
Massage oil
Clary sage essential oil
Flannel
Water spray
Black towel
2x pairs pyjamas
2 x bras
5 x extra large, extra unsexy black briefs
20 x maternity pads
8 x pairs breast pads
Dirty washing bag
Face wipes
Deodorant/body spray
Toothbrush and paste
Hair ties
Dry shampoo
Make up
Shower gel

At the time I will also take my pillow, tens machine and pack a coming home outfit depending on what's not in the wash at the time lol. I'm only going to the birth centre so packing for an overnight stay, we're 5 mins from it so if I need more stuff it's easy for oh to bring it in.

Any further suggestions or things I forgotten? :) x

flip flops are a brilliant idea, thanks for that!

I just thought of something, dont know if its been mentioned already... a mini handheld fan! Everytime ive been in hospital on the maternity ward either giving birth myself or visiting someone, its always been way too hot. I knowthey have to keep it warm for the babies but sometimes its ridiculous x

flip flops are a brilliant idea, thanks for that!

The thought of standing bare feet in an nhs hospital shower where god knows what bodily fluids have been, eww.. I'm very fussy about other people's bathroom 'grime' lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->