What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

It JUST occured to me that my baby is waiting for me to pack my bag before he comes!! Here I am putting it off and there he is just sat in my tummy saying "hurry up mummy I'm bored of waiting for you to get your butt into gear!"

:D Off to do it now!

this is exactly why i dont want to pack my bag until im ready for baby to arrive lol, i feel like its tempting fate

what are you going to be packing in your bag?:flower:

Well I just posted in the main threads apparently not as much as I'd expected :rofl: I thought the bag was massive, turns out I've not got much in it and will need a separate one for baby :dohh:

I have a first time mummy stupid question...

I bought vests with poppers are they the same vests that people talk about putting under babygrows? So would baby usually be wearing two lots of poppers or is that the wrong kind? Should I have bought vests without poppers? Not that I saw any?>

I got the same ones too. :thumbup:
The vests with no poppers can ride up under the babygros as far as i know.

Thanks I just wasn't sure if I'd bought the wrong thing (like I say I never saw any vests without but it looks weird having two things on with poppers) ah well I'm sure I'll make many errors...too many poppers on one outfit will not be a big deal lol :haha:

I was thinking the same thing with the double layer of poppers! Can't do any harm though. :)

My updated list. Advice and opinions welcome!

My hospital bag:
4 x nightdresses (incl. 1 to labour in)
1 x dressing gown
1 x pair slippers
2 x nursing bras
1 x large black towel
1 x pair flip flops
10 x breast pads
1 x tube nipple cream
6 x pairs big knickers
2 x pack of 10 maternity pads

Toiletries bag
Make up bag
Mini Hair straighteners

Hospital Notes
Sweets for midwifes and nurses
Camera
Phone charger
DS
Small Change
Pillow

Baby bag:
3 x short sleeve vests (newborn size and 0-3 months size)
3 x babygros (newborn size and 0-3 months size)
2 x caps
1 x pair scratch mitts
1 x small pack of nappies (27 in pack)
1 x tub vaseline
1 x tub sudocreme
1 x pack of cotton wool balls
2 x blankets
1 x towel

OH bag:
1 x Clean t-shirt
1 x clean undies and socks
Small toiletries bag (deod, toothbrush, toothpaste)
1 x hand towel
Snacks and drinks
TENS machine for me

And at home for OH to bring in if I need:
More maternity pads (regular ones and some packs of Always nighttime with the wings) breast pads, knickers
Baby vests and babygros
Another big black towel
Going home outfit for me and baby in a bag in car seat

Drinks for you, last time i took 2 bottles of ribena to water down the rank hospital water lol

My updated list. Advice and opinions welcome!

My hospital bag:
4 x nightdresses (incl. 1 to labour in)
1 x dressing gown
1 x pair slippers
2 x nursing bras
1 x large black towel
1 x pair flip flops
10 x breast pads
1 x tube nipple cream
6 x pairs big knickers
2 x pack of 10 maternity pads

Toiletries bag
Make up bag
Mini Hair straighteners

Hospital Notes
Sweets for midwifes and nurses
Camera
Phone charger
DS
Small Change
Pillow

Baby bag:
3 x short sleeve vests (newborn size and 0-3 months size)
3 x babygros (newborn size and 0-3 months size)
2 x caps
1 x pair scratch mitts
1 x small pack of nappies (27 in pack)
1 x tub vaseline
1 x tub sudocreme
1 x pack of cotton wool balls
2 x blankets
1 x towel

OH bag:
1 x Clean t-shirt
1 x clean undies and socks
Small toiletries bag (deod, toothbrush, toothpaste)
1 x hand towel
Snacks and drinks
TENS machine for me

And at home for OH to bring in if I need:
More maternity pads (regular ones and some packs of Always nighttime with the wings) breast pads, knickers
Baby vests and babygros
Another big black towel
Going home outfit for me and baby in a bag in car seat

is it a thick dressing gown? hospitals are hot
have you had your hair straighteners pat tested yet so you can plug the in at the hospital?

its a good list :flower:

have you had your hair straighteners pat tested yet so you can plug the in at the hospital?

Thanks so much! :flower:

Yeah its one of those fleecy ones. I have been on the look out for a lighter dressing gown, but have seen nothing yet. I only would want a cheapy one, so would not want to spend much on it. If you know any shops with them in stock let me know!

And my straighteners are just regular travel mini ones, i guess they are certified by the manufacturers? Or do i need to get a pat test myself? Can an electician do this for me?

Yeah its one of those fleecy ones. I have been on the look out for a lighter dressing gown, but have seen nothing yet. I only would want a cheapy one, so would not want to spend much on it. If you know any shops with them in stock let me know!

And my straighteners are just regular travel mini ones, i guess they are certified by the manufacturers? Or do i need to get a pat test myself? Can an electician do this for me?

matalan sale starts on monday and asda sale has started online already so you might be able to get a thin dressing gown in the sales, i think i saw some thin dressing gowns in mother care for £15 but i wouldnt want to spend that just for my hospital bag, but im tight lol:haha:

the IT department if you work in an office can usually pat test your bits for you if you ask nicely
tbh i plan on bringing my charger and will plug it in when no one is looking :haha:

matalan sale starts on monday and asda sale has started online already so you might be able to get a thin dressing gown in the sales, i think i saw some thin dressing gowns in mother care for £15 but i wouldnt want to spend that just for my hospital bag, but im tight lol:haha:

the IT department if you work in an office can usually pat test your bits for you if you ask nicely
tbh i plan on bringing my charger and will plug it in when no one is looking :haha:

Yeah I would only be after a cheapy one from Pennys or Dunnes!

I'm already on maternity leave so can't get to the IT dept. I think I'll just do what your planning and plug in my straightener and phone charger when they are not looking! :coolio: I hope plugging stuff in is not that much of an issue.

When are you supposed to pack your hospital bag? Some days i think i should do it now just to be on the safe side, others i think its wayyyy too early. (im only 29 weeks) lol.

But heres my list anyway
For me
-Birthnotes
-Hair bobbles
-Facewipes
-Towel
-Toiletres (toothpaste, shampoo etc)
-Makeup
-Breastpads
-Maternity pads (not sure how many?)
-Hairdryer maybe?
-Big black pants
-Dressingown
-Pillow
-PJ/comfy clothes/nighties
-Drinks/snacks
-Camera

For Baby
-Carseat
-Blanket
-3 vests & 3 sleepsuits
-Going home outfit
-Scratchmits & hats
-Dummies(just incase)
-Nappies & bags
-Wipes
-Ready to use milk

No idea how all of this will fit in my bag!!
Anyone think im taking things i wont actually need? or if ive missed anything off.

When are you supposed to pack your hospital bag? Some days i think i should do it now just to be on the safe side, others i think its wayyyy too early. (im only 29 weeks) lol.

But heres my list anyway
For me
-Birthnotes
-Hair bobbles
-Facewipes
-Towel
-Makeup
-Breastpads
-Hairdryer maybe?
-Big black pants
-Dressingown
-Pillow
-Drinks/snacks
-Camera

For Baby
-Carseat
-Blanket
-3 vests & 3 sleepsuits
-Going home outfit
-Scratchmits & hats
-Dummies(just incase)
-Nappies & bags
-Wipes
-Ready to use milk

Anyone think im taking things i wont actually need? or if ive missed anything off.

i dont think there is anything wrong with getting prepared early, ive done babys bag and ive done my daughters bag for going to nannys, but i stil need to do mine yet

you may not be allowed to plug in your hair dryer,
i packed makeup in my hospital bag when i had DD but i didint use it
is it a thin dressing gown? hospitals are hot

you listed ready made milk, have you got bottles?

do you want a blanket for car ride home or swaddling?
bras?
did you want slippers?
what are yu going to give birth in?
hair brush?

yeah might not use it but reckon i'll prob just pack it anyway
its not a thin dressingown but im generally a really cold person lol.
yeah ive brought the ready to use bottles and milk, pretty expensive but saves the faf of having to take seperate bottles/milk etc in as im not breastfeeding

blanket good idea! forgot about that one.
no idea what im giving birth in :| erm... a long top? a nightie? altho if i end up having my water birth i'll just be in a bra/bikini top i suppose.

But heres my list anyway
For me
-Birthnotes
-Hair bobbles
-Facewipes
-Towel
-Makeup
-Breastpads
-Hairdryer maybe?
-Big black pants
-Dressingown
-Pillow
-Drinks/snacks
-Camera

For Baby
-Carseat
-Blanket
-3 vests & 3 sleepsuits
-Going home outfit
-Scratchmits & hats
-Dummies(just incase)
-Nappies & bags
-Wipes
-Ready to use milk

I'm takin in 20 maternity pads, and have plenty more at home and also another pack in the car if i need them OH has not got far to go to grab them.

Dark towel?
Flip flops for the shower?

Cotton wool balls or pads for baby, the nurses are not keen on us using wipes on a newborn. But maybe your hospital is different from mine!
Also small tub of sudocreme?
Towel for baby

You have a good list!

I wanted to say if you bring your own pillow, which is what I plan on doing, make sure the pillow case is not white because the hospital can confuse it with theirs. :)

Just had my twins a week ago and I would just like to say that having packed 4 bodies and 4 onsies turned out to be barely adequate PER DAY! I ended up staying 3 nights and had my mum not brought more things for the boys to wear, they would either have been naked or stuck in pee and sick covered clothes. :S xxx

Thank you so much for this list. I was at a total loss as to what on earth to put in the bag!! Copy..... And paste :) x

Thank you so much for this list, what a lifesaver, our brains are crazy fogged as it is and its the littlest things that we could forget that end up being huge in the end!

I haven't had time to read through all the posts but can anyone in the US tell me where to buy the maternity pads? I haven't seen any before and I don't know what to look for but I don't want to use the hospitals!

I bought Stayfree overnight with wings (the thin kinds with regular wings and the back end has "wings" also and it's wider)

I believe these are them

https://www.pharmapacks.com/product_images/y/407/007398__87378_zoom.jpg

https://meninmenstruation.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/stayfree-ultrathin-thermocontrol-overnight-wing-width.jpg?w=788

I haven't had my baby yet so IDK how much I will bleed or if these will do the trick or not. I plan on using the hospital ones tbh but packed some of these as back up incase my bleeding is manageable and not insane.

Baby:
- Baby Vest x 2
- All in One suit
- Scratch Mittens
- Eeyore PJs (My Mum bought them as she loves Eeyore!)
- Hat
- Bib
- Socks/Booties

Me:
- Notes
- Maternity Pads
- Breast Pads
- Maternity Underwear (disposable)
- iPod
- T-Shirt

No idea what else to put in there just yet (obviously toothbrush, etc will be there.. but I am unsure of anything else needed.. :()..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->