What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

hey im over in 1st tri but got this link out of one of the bounty pack book thingys

https://babymamabags.co.uk/products/67-hospital-bags.aspx

its a pre packed bag you can buy with all the items you need ( apart from towels and your clothes ) think it might be handy?

hey im over in 1st tri but got this link out of one of the bounty pack book thingys

https://babymamabags.co.uk/products/67-hospital-bags.aspx

its a pre packed bag you can buy with all the items you need ( apart from towels and your clothes ) think it might be handy?

you will need loads more than that possibly even if you are out after 6 hours!

i think thats very expensive for what it is and i've done mine less than half that price and have alot more in it

I took loads of stuff and used hardly anything!! and i was in for 3 days.

One thing i should have packed more of were baby grows, vests & nighties (I was very sick through labour!!)

didnt need towels, nappies, wipes, talc, cream, the stuff for hubby none of it

Next time i will be packing, endless nighties, grows, vests, change and reading material didnt realise how much she would sleep cos they keep the place sooooo warm

What I packed last time: Everything but the kitchen sink!

What I'm taking this time: The bare essentials lol

So far I have for my bag: 3 pairs of pants, 1 bra, 1 bed socks, 1 pair of trousers, 1 t-shirt, 2 vests, 2 nighties, 1 dressing gown, 1 pair of flip flops, 1 pack of maternity towels, a handful of breast pads, some cotton wool.

Need to get/pack: my book (although I once again probably wont need it), my outfit for going home in (probably a dress), toiletries and medication.

Hubby will be carrying a small shoulder bag with: Notes, Camera, 2 bottles of lucozade and 1 of water, some nutrigrain/cereal bars, Clary sage oil, music CDs, baby wipes and a change of clothes for him (he gets very involved and we didn't take anything for him last time lol)

For baby (still have to pack all of this but I have it all lol): 4 baby grows, 4 vests (2 in NB and 2 in 0-3m of each), 1 blanket, 2 muslin cloths, nappies, sensitive wipes, nappy bags, bottle and formulax2, going home outfits (1 NB and 1 0-3m), 2 hats, 2 pairs scratch mits, 2 pairs socks, 1 towel.

I like to think that I'm a lot more aware of what I actually need this time. Only time will tell though lol.

im going to pack bare essentialls this time and make sure OH/mother knows wer all the baby stuff is at home so if i need extra bringing they can locate it and bring it :) xx

because last time i was like to me OH 'can u get a baby grow' and i got a vest or the wrong size etc lol xxx ......men hehe

im going to pack bare essentialls this time and make sure OH/mother knows wer all the baby stuff is at home so if i need extra bringing they can locate it and bring it :) xx

because last time i was like to me OH 'can u get a baby grow' and i got a vest or the wrong size etc lol xxx ......men hehe

Yeap, I'd probably need to label everything with what it was if that's anything to go by. My OH makes me laugh. Every morning I get "Where's my coat? Where's my keys?" - how the bloody hell should I know? You had them last as their YOUR belongings to keep track of! God knows what he's going to be like with all this baby stuff! x

Loving_life, I'm not entirely sure, some people have mentioned that the hospital might supply them and others have said that their hospital don't. If you're going to be using dummies then I'd take a couple just to be on the safe side. I'm still deciding whether or not to use dummies with my LO when he arrives, though I'm a first time mum and will probably buy a couple just in case I decide to.

probably not. Babies sleep pretty solidly for about 48-72 hours after birth, by which time you'll either be home, or be able to get supplies brought in if you need anything. If baby for any reason ends up in NICU they have their own supplies.

Do I need to take dummies?

If you're planning on breast feeding you might not want to introduce dummies / pacifiers until you've established a good latching on / sucking technique - probably 1-2 weeks. The BF counsellors think that the baby can get confused or find a preference for a teat or dummy rather than a nipple, and this can make bf'ing a little harder on you. It is of course down to you. Remember as well that baby will be exhausted after it's journey to the outside world, so may be sleepy, quieter and not found it's vocal cords yet, so the need for a dummy might not be there to begin with.

If you're planning on breast feeding you might not want to introduce dummies / pacifiers until you've established a good latching on / sucking technique - probably 1-2 weeks. The BF counsellors think that the baby can get confused or find a preference for a teat or dummy rather than a nipple, and this can make bf'ing a little harder on you. It is of course down to you. Remember as well that baby will be exhausted after it's journey to the outside world, so may be sleepy, quieter and not found it's vocal calls yet, so the need for a dummy might not be there to begin with.

Thanks so much for this advice. I was thinking whether or not to take dummies to the hospital, or use them at all, and this has made my decision so much easier - no dummies until breastfeeding routine FIRMLY established!!
Thanks again :) x

You're welcome! I went to my NCT breast feeding class this evening so it's still fresh in my mind and they covered quite a lot of topics. Ask me tomorrow and I think I'll have forgotten it all. :) Seriously though, I'm not an expert at all (this is my first pregnancy) but if there is anything you think of that you want to ask then let me know, as there is a good chance the BF counsellor covered it. :)

Great stuff! I'll have a think of some questions and get back to you. Not reeeeeally looked into great amounts of detail about breastfeeding just yet, all I know though is that 'I want to' - lol. Useless.

I see you're UK based, still up at this time too. Are you also suffering from pregnancy insomnia? I just CAN'T switch off, get comfy or shake this heartburn!

Normally I'd have been to bed hours ago. Pre-pregnancy I was a terrible sleeper. I'd sleep in bursts and wake up 3-4 times a night, and pregnancy seemed to have cured that. I would sleep for 6-7 hrs straight and feel like I had a good 12. Last night I slept dreadfully though and tonight I can't switch off. I came on here to wear myself out! I find sleeping with three pillows, set up to lean on each other diagonally really helps with the heartburn at night. That might work for you too. xx

Active minds are crap aren't they!! I've got to get up for work at 6! Unfortunately, I too am propped up with two normal bed pillows and my mega sized maternity v shaped pillow and gulping Gaviscon though it's still not dying down!! I think my baby will be massively hairy if that old 'heart=hairy baby' wives tale is anything to go on. Lol.

Hope you drop off soon! x

Loving_life, I'm not entirely sure, some people have mentioned that the hospital might supply them and others have said that their hospital don't. If you're going to be using dummies then I'd take a couple just to be on the safe side. I'm still deciding whether or not to use dummies with my LO when he arrives, though I'm a first time mum and will probably buy a couple just in case I decide to.

I'm a first time mum too so I'm not sure if I want to use them or not so I have some on standby lol. Thank you x

If you're planning on breast feeding you might not want to introduce dummies / pacifiers until you've established a good latching on / sucking technique - probably 1-2 weeks. The BF counsellors think that the baby can get confused or find a preference for a teat or dummy rather than a nipple, and this can make bf'ing a little harder on you. It is of course down to you. Remember as well that baby will be exhausted after it's journey to the outside world, so may be sleepy, quieter and not found it's vocal cords yet, so the need for a dummy might not be there to begin with.

I am planning to breastfeed so I won't take any then :) Thank you xx

make sure you pack enough things for just incase you have to stay in over night

i had planned on staying for the minimum 6 hours then going home the same day but after a very quick and easy labour i had a retained placenta and was given a general anesthetic and was rushed to theatre so was forced to stay overnight and wasnt allowed to go home till half 11 at night the next day

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->