What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

I wouldn't bring the paci to the hospital (well I keep one in the baby bag so it came along with me).. Keep an open mind. I don't have experience with nipple confusion thank God but about 2-3 days after he was born, my breats were ROCKS and painful and Josiah would not stop crying. His lips looked dry and chapped and his voice sounded so dry. I was also having trouble with the latch so my nipples were bruised and cracked and hurt so bad. I was feeling TERRIBLE and finally caved and gave him the paci. He slept for a few hours and my mom watched him while I took a 2 hour nap as well. My milk finally came in that evening and a few days later I met with a lactation consultant who helped me with the latch and since then its been a breeze! Josiah still gets the paci to comfort suck AFTER he has had his milk. I try not to give it to him when he his hungry because if he is crying because he is hungry, he needs a boob in his mouth, not a paci but he is good with knowing the difference between boob and paci.. And if I give him the paci, he will almost always spit it out eventually and be fine without it. :)

Just sharing from experience, this is what I've learned in the last almost 2 weeks of being a mom ;)

6 hours in the hospital?! I couldn't imagine being able to go home that soon! I think there is a mandatory overnight stay where I go.

Ahhh very useful thread!..I think i may be a 'late leaver'..I haven't even started packing yet and im 37 weeks :|..I have a few things lying around so off the top of my head here it is:

My bag
- Pyjamas! x2 (Very self concious of my legs so wont be wearing a nightie..Still in the process of deciding which ones to take and which ones i dont mind messing up!)..Ill maybe need more than 2 but i can send OH home for more as we dont live that far away from the hospital :)
- Face wipes
- Hand held fan
- Toothbrush (Can be added at the last minute!)
- Ipod
- Blackberry
- Underwear (Still unsure as to how many)
- Bras
- Going home outfit (I know something comfortable!)
- A few magazines incase my ipod dies
- Breast pads just incase i leak :|..I have a box of 40 so hopefully one will be enough
- Maternity pads!
- Green book!
- Birth plan
- plastic bags for dirty clothes!

Sebastians bag:cloud9:
- Baby gro's
- Vests
- Nappies (Not sure how many again:dohh: )
- Wipes/Cotton wool
- Scratch mits
- Going home outfit
- Blanket
- Socks
- Carry seat -- Was thinking about leaving this at home until im allowed to go home and then sending OH to get it..But again i have no idea what to do!:nope:
- A bottle & Formula
- Bibs - I have loads so im thinking about taking 7 and seeing how we go with those.

I wonder how much ive missed with me being so disorganised:haha:

Ok so I will say unless you have HUGE special maternity pads just use the ones they give you in the hospital because they are huge for a reason because you will bleed everywhere :( just saying from experience!

Not something that you'd really consider but I had my hospital bag packed ready for dd1 but due to some complications (which weren't a major issue in the end) I ended up in hospital 3 days before baby was born so stuff I'd packed was of little use. oh ended up going backwards and forwards quite a lot to get extra things ( not a prob if you're close but he had a 30 mile round trip with toll bridge in between)
I know it's probably not something that happens often but this time I'll be at least making a lst of things I might need for a pre-birth stay.

I have a new one for you. If you're wanting a water pool birth then my birthing centre asks us to bring a cheap plastic sieve. Best not to think about why! :haha:

Hahahahahahahahahaha, thanks for the advice NotNic! A great help! At the hospital my sisters gave birth at they had those small nets that are used when changing fish tanks, the little fish nets. So funny. The blokes that were also on the hospital tour looked very confused at why they'd need fish nets in a birthing centre. I promptly told them. Hahaha.

I was told it might be a good idea to get a few pair of depends instead of pads. Might make it a lil less messy.

Great list and suggestions ladies.
Ive started buying bits and pieces for my hospital bag, were only 20 mins from hospital so if I forget anything ill send OH.

One thing my friend said (who had a baby last month) is take plenty of snacks and drinks as you get hungry/thirsty. She was in labour at 2am and nothing around was open, luckily her mum was prepared with two bags full of snacks.

xx

i have mine packed and have started little mans <3
in mine i have
3 nighties
1 pack of maternty pads and 1 pack breast pads
2 black towells
slippers
toiltrey bag with shower gel and deo in need put make up in and hair brush
dressing gown
camera not in yet
and i have 1 pack disposble pants and 1 pack norm pants
does this sound ok?

I'm gonna pack mine in a couple of weeks. But I don't know what kinda bag to pack. I was thinking of a backpack but DH thinks it may be too small. What do you guys think?

I'm planning on going in later and I will get an early discharge (I'll be going in with my midwives).

The hospital is providing diapers and maternity pads so this is what I'm thinking of packing:

For me and DH:
- A couple of t-shirts and a night gown for me
- A dress to wear home
- slippers
- nursing bras and a few nipple pads
- few disposable underwears (packing 4)
- hair brush, toothpaste/brush, hair clips, makeup, lip balm
- two clean t-shirts for DH
- dried fruit and nuts to snack on
- both our iPhone and charger
- Camera
- birth plan

For baby:
- 3-4 onesies
- 2 receiving blankets
- a cute outfit to wear home
- her car seat

Ladies, are you taking those little pulley trolleys for your things and I assume baby changing bag for babas things? Hope that's not a silly question - I'm horrific for packing lightly! :blush:

I havent packed anything yet. :shock:
I just delay it every time... It'll be fine and that lol

Janine I've literally just packed mine, at 37 weeks. You'll be fiiiine just yet!! x

A good tip i was given with my first and was really good and will be doing this time around, make sure when you pack you do it with huby or your birthing partner, as they are the ones likely to be getting everything you need just after birth and will have to find babys clothes and your clean clothes and wash bag. ( i think i should my hubby a couple of times as well although he probably didnt take much notice after the first time:)

I've been putting this on the long finger cos there are so many lists! I don't know where to start...
But thats a good tip about packing with whoever's going with you! I might even suggest THEY pack it haha

SORRY if this has already been said....
we were informed yesterday that you even need to take in your own top n tail bowl - surely they'd supply things like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->