What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

I was told the same thing about electrical stuff so you need to make sure everything is fully charged before you go ... thats my husbands job!!!

I got my baby bag today so im going to pack that this weekend :yipee:

Im thinking of taking a small suitcase too, no point in squashing everything into a little bag and then not being able to find anything!! Go for it!!

xxx

Pack a couple of disposable cameras as a back up. The last thing you would want is for your camera to fail you!

I've just ordered 2 with flashes for £5 from
amazon. There's only 24 exposures on each, but that's enough to capture those first few precious and special moments :)

And if I dont use them, my boys can have one each to take pictures of their new sister :)

Pack a couple of disposable cameras as a back up. The last thing you would want is for your camera to fail you!

amazon. There's only 24 exposures on each, but that's enough to capture those first few precious and special moments :)

And if I dont use them, my boys can have one each to take pictures of their new sister :)

That's a great idea - thanks! xx

If people are looking for black/dark coloured bottoms i would suggest primark :D Ive just picked up some dark 'mens lounge pants' which are just like jogging bottoms without the ankle elastic for £10. They are Small to XL so hope this helps :D

Boots currently have 342 on all their maternity and baby so am going to get pads, breast pads etc this week. EEekk suddenly starting to feel a bit more real!

can we use phones? me and my bf both have iphone 4s so the camera is really good on them and i know our hospital lets you use your phone.. atleast my mum was texting on hers when she was in a few weeks ago!

i dont know if this has been said because i haven't gone through the whole 121 pages(!!) but ive been advised to take arnica tablets & cream for bruising and some multivitamins for energy afterwards.

ive also been told a few suggestions if i do have to have a c-section;
-get a shower cream with a hook on it for the shower so you don't have to bend down as thats painful!!
-straws for drinking hospital drinks/tea so its easier when sitting/lying after a c-section, you don't have to hold yourself up!
-make sure your slippers are slip on so you dont have to bend down,
-take a few extra big maternity pads & microporous tape so you can cushion your scar a bit more!
-take some constipation pills as apparently pooping after a c-section can be hard & they wont let you home until you have had bowel movements apparently?!, also maybe something for trapped wind and thats common after a c section!

can we use phones? me and my bf both have iphone 4s so the camera is really good on them and i know our hospital lets you use your phone.. atleast my mum was texting on hers when she was in a few weeks ago!

They did when i had my LO. Only thing with iPhones is battery life when you use them lots or if you stay in. I got a emergency charger off ebay for £2.50 just uses 2 double A's.

For the ladies having/planning water births - I got myself an inflatable bath pillow for £1 in Tesco! Who knows if I'll need it

They did when i had my LO. Only thing with iPhones is battery life when you use them lots or if you stay in. I got a emergency charger off ebay for £2.50 just uses 2 double A's.

oh right ok! my mum has a blackberry and just took her charger and plugged it in?

I always look at these lists for hospital bags and then I think I don't plan on camping so by the time half my home is packed into bags I might aswell just have a home birth.
:dohh:
My birth centre is just the other side of town, 0.4 miles infact, I'm pretty sure if there is anything I have missed I will be able to send someone up the road to get it.
:shrug:
If I have to transfer to the big hospital 20 miles away, I don't care, chances are there will be an emergency and whats in the hospital bag will be the last thing on my mind or thanks to my hospital phobia I will probably be so stressed I won't want another thing to worry about.
:wacko:
So I've decided I'm just packing the essentials, babies first clothes, first nappies, a fresh change of clothes/ sanitary towels for me and a nightie, mp3 player and a book incase the labour drags on but otherwise that's about it. Car seat pre installed in car of course.
:winkwink:

A fan is a must, it's boiling in there and if you're like me I get hot when I'm in pain! A couple of sealable food bags? I put a flannel in one, then during labour my partner kept running it under the cold tap so I could put it on my face/ neck to cool down, was then easy to chuck in the bag and not get anything else wet. X

I wonder how many maternity pads you need if you stay a day in the hospital.. I brought 20.. is it enough or need more?

I also brought 5 disposable undies.. maybe I need more? I'm making my bags and I'm frustrated already :S

My mother is shocked by how many things we have to bring to the hospital ourselves haha She said the hospital provided everything and even gave her stuff to take home back in the days. Sigh.. if only that was the case now!

On the topic of maternity pads, does anyone know if it matters if the overnight pads we bring to use as maternity pads are thick or of the ultra thin kind? Because I've always used ultra thin overnight pads for periods and they were absorbent enough but then again I've never given birth so I have no clue how absorbent these pads need to be! And I don't know if thicker more cushiony pads will be comfortable after giving birth vaginally? I asked the pharmacist at a Walmart about maternity pads and she told me they didn't carry maternity specific pads, just choose the biggest pad I see on the shelves lol.

I wonder how many maternity pads you need if you stay a day in the hospital.. I brought 20.. is it enough or need more?

I also brought 5 disposable undies.. maybe I need more? I'm making my bags and I'm frustrated already :S

When i had my DD in 2010 the hospital i was at had pads and gave me nappies :s i didn't take any at all lol maybe your hospital would provide them if you run out??

When i had my DD I didn't take hardly anything with me except baby clothes and a spare change for me, snacks, deoderant, i really wish i had taken more because you never know how long you have to stay for i think i was there for 2 days because of meconium in the water i really could have done with more snacks and more clean clothes and make up :) i felt like such a mess lol.
I don't think you can take too much :)
home comforts are what you need when you're stuck in hospital so take whatever u want or need, dont let anyone tell you oh you dont need that blah blah just take it!!!! lol

When i had my DD in 2010 the hospital i was at had pads and gave me nappies :s i didn't take any at all lol maybe your hospital would provide them if you run out??

I'm not even sure, I'm just going to be at a midwife unit centre.

babyblueskye...

I'm assuming your at MKGH?!

You have to take everything now - they don't provide anything now really - apart from the pads ect I had straight after my section (or didn't when I had DD in May 2012!) :flower:

babyblueskye...

I'm assuming your at MKGH?!

You have to take everything now - they don't provide anything now really - apart from the pads ect I had straight after my section (or didn't when I had DD in May 2012!) :flower:

I had my 1st daughter in a birthing centre thats attached to Bournemouth hospital but yes this baby will be born in MKGH :S

Thanks for letting me know i'll be sure to pack nappies and some pads just incase :)

How was MKGH??? I haven't been to look round the L&D ward but the day assesment unit scares me a bit everything seems really old x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->