What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

How far in advance is everyone packing their bags? Also, anyone recommend any unsecured shower gels?! I've read that they are better so that baby can pick up your scent? I'm a ftm so don't really have a clue!xxx

Has anyone got any ideas as to what to use as a hospital bag? Small suitcase or holdall style bag??

Has anyone got any ideas as to what to use as a hospital bag? Small suitcase or holdall style bag??

I packed my things in a traveling duffle bag. And my husband is packing his things in a backpack.

Awesome Thread, I got like 10 good recommendations most of which I was like "Oh yeah omg I can't believe I was going to go to hospital without that!" hehe Thanks! :thumbup:

Ivory unscented body wash is lovely! My little cousin had severe allergies and asthma for the first 7 or so years of her life and that was all she was able to use. And my grandpa was told that was all he could use after 6 months after he had a lymphectomy with quite a large incision, so it must be quite safe. =) I use it myself now because it makes my skin so soft and doesn't irritate my eczema (which has decided to pop up again in pregnancy, bah). Though I use the aloe or floral lightly scented versions but I'll switch to unscented after birth.

I don't know when I'll pack yet... I will probably print out my checklist and tape it to my bag and kind of gradually add things. ^^ I still have to shop for a couple nightgowns and that sort of thing too. I will probably start packing around 32 weeks just in case.

Is there anything special anyone can recommend for c-section moms to take?

Awesome post! I started to create my list and will probably start packing my bag in the next few weeks :)

How far in advance is everyone packing their bags? Also, anyone recommend any unsecured shower gels?! I've read that they are better so that baby can pick up your scent? I'm a ftm so don't really have a clue!xxx

Oh really? Is this true? Should I get unscented???

Oh really? Is this true? Should I get unscented???

I needed unscented (sensitive) body wash and low-odor shampoo with my DD, since she was super sensitive to any products with smells. It took me a few days to realize why her cheeks were SO rashy, but as soon as I switched to washing my OWN clothes in dreft and not wearing anything with scent, her rash disappeared! Even a little older she would get runny noses and fussy when I smelled like products.

I bought men's boxers today for post c section used them with DD and they are great as they sit higher and don't rub your scar :)

I'm going to start packing mine today and popped over here to get an idea of what I might need.. holy crap I under estimated the amount of stuff I'll bring! I figured I'd just pack everything into my LO's diaper bag, but I always over pack with all my trips and vacationing so I'm sure I will this time too!! I'm going to need my own back pack and my OH will probably have his own.. The hospital is going to think I'm moving in :haha:

How many outfits should I bring for the LO? a lot of people are out by the next day but some have to stay 2 or 3 days.. how many times a day will I be changing his out fits? Like I said I'm an over packer.. so I'll probably bring like 4 or 5 different things for him to wear. Plus a few extra hats and socks.. and diapers and wipes because I'm not sure what my hospital supplies. I'm so clueless when it comes time to pack up his stuff! :dohh:

This is a good thread though definitely prepared me a lot more for things I would have forgotten!!

i packed so much stuff in my bag and guess what I needed hardly any of it.
my hospital was wonderful. gave me everything
only thing i needed was baby's going home outfit, my own clothes, and breast pads for leaking which i didnt even use because my milk didnt even come in until after i was home.
Everything else was given to me.

I packed granny big panties.
Sanitary napkins
Baby winter clothes
2 night clothes
toiletries (I know the hopsital will give anyhow).

I finally just did mine and the LO's today!
Mine consists of :
2 pj pants
2 tank tops
1 shorts
4 big undies
3 socks
toiletries and contact stuff
bag of hard candies
camera
towel
hair elastics, lip balm, breast pads
(still missing nursing bra, nipple cream and a bag of quarters for the vending machines but we're getting that stuff tomorrow!)
And I have a note on top of my bag reminding me of the last minute stuff like my toothbrush, hair brush, phone charger, slippers, and pillow.

My LO's consists of :
1 sleep n play with matching cap
1 long sleeve onzie and sweat pants with matching cap
1 going home out fit with matching cap (I know I'm ridiculous.. :haha:)
A few diapers just in case
wipes
burp rags
2 receiving blankets
one pair of newborn socks, and one pair of mitts!
pacifiers
1 bottle
My first aid kit, his grooming set, gas relief drops and portable thermometer
butt cream and baby powder
changing pad

A lot of the stuff in his bag I put in there just because it belonged in there whether or not I'll need it at the hospital (like the first aid kit or portable thermometer).
I'm definintely an over packer, but that's okay I rather be prepared than not have something :flower:

Oh yes, my sister also suggest a clothes pin you can clip to your shoulder so you know which breast you left off last from your last feeding (if your breastfeeding obviously).. its my first baby so I'm not sure how useful this will be or not but figured I'd share in case someone wanted to try it! :flower:

I would take a couple of spare sleepsuits and vests :)

Good to know thank you! :flower:
My mom told me I won't even use the clothes until I put his going home outfit on.. apparently the hospital will dress him in their gowns and stuff. A lot of times they send you home within 24 hours, but I could probably change him every 6 because I'll be so excited he's here! :haha:

You'll need nowhere near as much stuff as you'll pack! As long as you are reasonably close to your hospital, someone can always bring spares if you have to stay in longer. I'd advise leaving a bag in your car/house with the extra stuff so your oh or birthing partner can get it afterwards. My oh didn't even bother to get our proper bag out of the car until I was 5cms as he thought I'd be sent home!

Essentials pre-birth:
Notes
Maternity pads, spare knickers, spare 'bottoms' if waters haven't gone
Snacks for partner
Phone w/ stopwatch function
Outfits x2 for labour - nightshirts/tshirts/ tankini top for water birth
TENS if using.
Music if preferred. W/ headphones
Plastic sieve for birthing pool if advised to bring one
Camera
Something for your partner to do which does not make noise. Beeps and taps might cheese you off!
Chargers

Post-birth
Change of clothes x2/3 for you including nightwear.
Knickers (4/5 pairs to make sure you have spares)
Nursing bra or formula if ff'ing (talk to hospital about storage and bottles etc beforehand)
Maternity Pads (breast pads / nipple cream unlikely to be used unless you stay for a while)
Tbrush, Tpaste, deodorant, face cream, shower gel, hair stuff.
Wet wipes for you. Easier to freshen up if you've had stitches.
Basic make up if bothered about it.
Food for afterwards
Change of underwear and top for partner plus toothbrush
Ear plugs and something to read or do when everyone else is asleep and you're too wired to

Baby
Nappies
X2/3 of vests, baby gros w/ scratch mits, hat
Going home outfit including socks/coat/cardi/blanket for car seat (weather appropriate)
Cotton wool pads
Car seat
Muslins

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79