What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag - Suggestions

littlepeople just seen you had a vanishing twin too, must be something in the water in MK, i saw the other sack around 7/8 weeks also but my body lost it @ week 13, such a scary thing to go through xxx

I wonder how many maternity pads you need if you stay a day in the hospital.. I brought 20.. is it enough or need more?

I also brought 5 disposable undies.. maybe I need more? I'm making my bags and I'm frustrated already :S

I would definitely take more. Im taking a pack 24 maternity pads and another pack of 10 just in case. Ive bought 12 knickers to take in that were cheap.

My friend who gave birth recently said that she was changing her pad and knickers every half an hour for a few hours and the first day after birth!

:dohh: I have been so lax with this pregnancy I havent even thought about my hospital bag yet, suppose I better get a wriggle on x

Same here! I just now bought a diaper bag and am waiting for it to come in the mail. Lol

I bought a gorge hospital bag weeks ago & its huge (DH calls it my mary poppins bag lol) but with a toddler running around I just havent had time to think about buying things for this baby (poor thing) x

I got a mini antibacterial 'CIF' and antibacterial wipes ....inc toilet wipes.... I know it sounds rediculous (Im not that bad at home!) but after 2 previous hospital labours I can say that I would rather be over prepared than not have stuff to 'clean' up, when I was on the ward before I had mine the shared bathroom was vile... the cleaners are always there and do a great job but by the nature of the wards the bathrooms were pretty grim.

I also swear by water/mist/aerosol spray during labour so got one of those.

loads of change too for tv units, carpark and drinks machines. (Also some for partner)

and finally a Daddy gift for my partner as I had complications with my previous two so don't know when I will get to the shops etc to give him a congratulations/ Thank you card.

soft absorbant TOILETT paper. i was at the hospital today and all i could tare off was little cubes that i had to stack in order to be absorbant enough. i thought wow i am going to bring my own, nice toilett paper cause in order for the first pee after labour i feel as though i am going to want something soft and highly absorbant for all that mess. something ive never thought of with previous labours....deffinatly will be bringing my own...BYOTP!! lol.

Does anyone think that bringing a book to hospital would be beneficial? Im thinking of bringing one but wonderinguf i would even get a chance to read it??? Im thinking for early labour ??

Thanks for this thread ladies you have helped me massively in packing my first hospital bag! So many things have been mentioned that I would never have remembered but could definitely do with in hospital, even like something that smells like home to make me more relaxed! I'm 35 weeks and I can't wait until my little man arrives, but so scared about going into hospital for labour :(

Does anyone think that bringing a book to hospital would be beneficial? Im thinking of bringing one but wonderinguf i would even get a chance to read it??? Im thinking for early labour ??

I would bring it just in case you have no other form of entertainment. You never know how long you'll be in there!

Dads reading this, pack a straw for mum to drink from when in labour.

It's not easy tilting your head at a funny angle to drink from the cup you're holding. If you have a straw mum can turn her head and sip at will!

Also, if mum has packed the hospital bags, make sure you go through them (without her knowing!) and familiarise yourself with where everything is. During labour, if mum wants something, she wants it NOW. "Man looking" is not a good idea! :dohh:

It does depend entirely on how your pregnancy is going and if you would rather be a person who is prepared or someone who would prefer not to have a bag lying around. If your midwife or OB thinks you are at risk of going early or there is a family history of pre-term babies then it's better to do it sooner rather than later as you really don't want to be thinking about what you might need when the contractions start. I pretty much had mine sorted around 32 weeks minus the TENS machine and a few toiletries. I did find being prepared that early, I was constantly replacing my snacks :haha: (Which actually were a complete waste of time for me. I had no appetite - though OH appreciated the sweets!). If it doesn't look like you will go early, then I'd say around 35-36 weeks is probably about right but start putting things in your shopping trolley sooner so you don't have to do a big, expensive shop near the end. HTHs xx

DN_Neil - I'm from Bromley too (I'm reluctant to say Bromley girl ;) ) Did you guys go to the Oasis Birthing Centre? We did and we thought it was brilliant. Definitely think your tip was a good one. Even though OH has been around babies a lot, when I was transferred and taken to theatre his mind went completely blank and couldn't work out what a vest and a sleepsuit were. He pulled the bag apart so much so that the next day once I was allowed to get out I couldn't find my toiletries or baby's going home outfit in the mess.

My mother is shocked by how many things we have to bring to the hospital ourselves haha She said the hospital provided everything and even gave her stuff to take home back in the days. Sigh.. if only that was the case now!

On the topic of maternity pads, does anyone know if it matters if the overnight pads we bring to use as maternity pads are thick or of the ultra thin kind? Because I've always used ultra thin overnight pads for periods and they were absorbent enough but then again I've never given birth so I have no clue how absorbent these pads need to be! And I don't know if thicker more cushiony pads will be comfortable after giving birth vaginally? I asked the pharmacist at a Walmart about maternity pads and she told me they didn't carry maternity specific pads, just choose the biggest pad I see on the shelves lol.

You will need the biggest pads you can get your hands on and if like me you have an episiotomy or stitches, then you may well want to wear double pads for comfort. The first three days I needed to change pads every 90 mins / 2 hours. Pretty much every time I breast fed if not earlier. I swapped to the thin overnight pads after two weeks. My bleeding had subsided a lot by then but I was still feeling very delicate in the first fortnight. Also sorry for TMI but most women notice that they pass clots in the early days so a more absorbent pad may help you check them and to prevent any embarrassing leakages. Incontinence towels might be something you want to try if you can't get hold of big pads.

If you are planning on having another child, then anything you've overbought can be used next time. I don't know anyone who has managed to over buy on pads though!!

You may want to take a brush. hair ties, toothe brush, paste, comfy clothes, extra underwear, socks, pads, nursing bras, nursing pads, sanitizer, baby homecoming outfit, socks, mittens, hat, diapers, wipes, camera, extra batteries or charger, cell phone and charger, if you wear contacts then contact case and solution, or glasses, light snacks, change for vending machines, anything else you may need.

I will be packing a pillow from home so that I've got something familiar in the hospital room. Also earplugs and an eye mask are invaluable as I discovered when I had my son, if you are kept in on a bay of 4 beds it can get very noisy and mums tend to put their lamps on for feeding which used to wake me up!

This is going to sound really bad but I recommend ear plugs....

With my last 2 daughters I had to stay in hospital and it was ALWAYS other peoples newborn babies keeping me awake at night rather then my own baby lol - when my daughters woke I just knew they was awake so didn't worry about not hearing them crying - also blocks out the noise of people opening and shutting doors constantly. x

Here is my list. I feel like its so long, but I'd rather have too much than be wishing I had brought this or that.

Towels (the ones at the hospital are thin and small)
Hard candy (for dry mouth)
Robe
Breast pads
Nipple cream (a must!)
Dry shampoo (my hair gets oily in a day)
Pads (bring lots an make sure they have wings)
Body wash (hospital's isn't good)
Shampoo/conditioner*
Hospital gowns (not necessary, but I got some gifted to me)
Slippers (without backs. You wont want to bend over to get them on)
Warm socks (my hospital is cold)
Underwear (boy shorts in a size bigger than you normally wear)
Chapstick
Change (for vending machine)
Camera
Video camera
Face wash
Moisturizer/toner
Makeup
Toothbrush/toothpaste*
Contact solution/case
Deodorant*
Glasses
Phone charger
Hair ties
Hair brush
2 outfits (for car ride home)
Nursing bras/tanks
Pillows- 2 (the pillows at the hospital are very flat and firm)
Plastic bags for dirty clothes*(you'll thank me later)
Birthing ball
Massager/tennis ball
Clothes and toiletries for husband
Gift for nurses (optional)
Baby book (for hand and foot prints, etc)
Boppy/nursing pillow
Flip flops

Car seat
Wipes (the ones at the hospital are dry wipes that you wet with water. Such a hassle, so I bring my own)
Coming home outfit*(bring 2 or 3 options. Baby could have a blow out or spit up)
Nail clippers (baby could have long nails at birth)
Blanket (for ride home)
Swaddle (optional)
Hand mitts (optional)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back