What would you do if...

Ehh I have been thinking about this. I think it's the amount of money that would put me off keeping it compared to £5/£10. I would be consumed with guilt thinking about some old couple not being able to eat/having heating on because they have no money. If I found a wallet with details I would defo hand that in regardless of how much was in there though. I lost my purse (about £30 in it) on a bus once and when I collected it there was no money in but they'd still handed it in! pfft. lol. Tbh I would rather not of got it back if they were gonna rob the money x

By law (in UK) you are supposed to hand in the money to a police station OR report to to a police station and agree to hand it over if it is claimed. If the money isn't claimed within 28 days you can ask for it back and keep it yourself.

Aside from legality I'd feel morally obliged to hand it in - you never know who the money belongs to or what affect losing it will have on their lives. I wouldn't even think twice, it wasn't my money to begin with so keeping it is akin to stealing - it's in my power to try to give it back to it's rightful owner so if I don't act on that I'm intentionally retaining it from it's owner - same as stealing to me.

I remember we once found a purse in the local spar, dh handed it in to the staff who knew the lady from her bank card name and that she had already phoned to say she lost it. They made dh leave his details, she sent him a card and a tenner to say thank you as it literally was all her pension money in it.
On the other side of the coin I have come across some really ungrateful people in my time, often things get dropped in the taxi and I have travelled 12 miles (I live out with my own licensing area) just to hand back phones to people who barely even say thank you. Now if I find a phone I make no effort to reunite it with it's owner, I just take it to the police station. If someone wakes up hungover and starts ringing round taxi offices looking for it, I have handed it in already!

If I found £150 with no traceable details I would hand it in for sure, but I'm used to handing lost property in, it happens a lot in my job.

Never getting In your taxi then (this is a joke because we live in the same place btw :flow: ) tbh fair play taxi drivers never get enough credit.

Tbh the temptation to keep it but I couldn't help but feel guilty about it so I would hand it in I'd feel so bad it was for a families Christmas etc.

Once on the bus going home from school (public bus) another boy from so other school tried to sneak my purse out my bag when I wasn't looking a nice lady stopped him and told me. It had all my money for the buses for a week in there plus my wages (a whole £15). I was about 14

Haha,you never know, one day you just might. Hang on to your phone or it will be in bell street before you even notice it missing :haha:

I have heard some awful stories about drivers finding things and keeping them, trying to justify the act by 'they should have been more careful then'. :nope:

I can say this honestly, I would send it back. When I was pregnant I went out for a walk one night as I couldn't sleep. It was like 2am or something and I don't know why but a wee bag caught my eye. It had £640 cash in it. I took it home with me and spent all night debating. 18, single and pregnant that was literally a life changing amount. But 9am I was at the police station handing it in.

3 days later I got a phone call off the police asking if I could either go to the station or permission for the guy it belonged to to send me a letter.

I went down and it was a guy that owns a local chain of pubs. He gave me £200, a meal in his pub and I still regularly get told I'm not paying for drinks when I'm in.

If Id of kept it I would still be worrying about who I'd taken it off.

Ahh that's nice :)

When I was in college I was sooo skint, I'd just moved out, couldn't afford the rent and was bumming food off my family because I couldn't afford to buy food either. I found a wad of notes under my desk one day and for a second I really considered slotting it but I couldn't help think, what if it belongs to someone in the same boat as me? I told my tutor, it turned out it'd fallen out of his pocket earlier on and he gave me a tenner for being honest :)

Suzi I would cry lol I am surgically attached to it!

That's awful but so not surprising in that city!

I would hand it in without a doubt. No way could I spend someone else's money, they could be needing it for anything. It simply would not be mine to spend and I would be keen to trace them to give it back.

I handed in an iphone 5 when they first came out, didn't even contemplate keeping it. It was a young girls. I thought, now if she ever finds a phone, she will remember this feeling and hopefully do the same thing.

I lost £50 a few weeks back and no one handed it in. I kind of feel sorry for who ever found it.

I'd hand it in. I'm a firm believer in "what goes around comes around"

Anything more than 20 euros I'd hand in.
I lost my purse once and it had my provision license in which was my only form of ID (I had just turned 18 so really needed it!) and whoever took it chucked the license in a churchyard and someone found it and stuck it through my postbox - was very grateful for that!

I found a bundle of money wrapped in a elastic band about 2years ago, and I handed it in. turned out it was someone's months wages! the guy asked the police if he could give me a reward for handing it in. I declined though!

What goes around comes around. I'd hand it in. I would be very tempted as we could use extra money but I couldn't do it.

I would be really tempted to keep it but the guilt would consume me so I would hand it in. I'd be devastate if I lost that kind of money. If it was £30 or less though I reckon I'd keep it as not many people would bother to try and claim that back.

with it been the amount it is I'd hand it in to the police. I found £20 at Heathrow airport once and it was packed out so it could have been anyone's but I think had I shouted out has anyone lost £20 I'd have been bombarded lol. I kept it:blush:

If you find money in a shop... Just wanna say if you are going to hand money you find in to someone so the owner can claim it back give to police and not the staff in the shop as I guarantee from own experience many times it doesn't even get put out the back in the safe ready to be collected the managers keep it and share it between themselves... Well where I work anyway !

i would be tempted...but if it was alot of money, id turn it in to the police. i have found purses in stores before and have brought them to the front...i would never steal money:)

I once found a money belt with 350 euros, a £50 note, 2 passports and a flight itinerary. I went to great lengths to get it back to tbe owner on time for their flight

My oh recently lost his wallet and someone found it and sent my oh a msg on facebook. Really made his day!! Id def hand it in

I remember we once found a purse in the local spar, dh handed it in to the staff who knew the lady from her bank card name and that she had already phoned to say she lost it. They made dh leave his details, she sent him a card and a tenner to say thank you as it literally was all her pension money in it.
On the other side of the coin I have come across some really ungrateful people in my time, often things get dropped in the taxi and I have travelled 12 miles (I live out with my own licensing area) just to hand back phones to people who barely even say thank you. Now if I find a phone I make no effort to reunite it with it's owner, I just take it to the police station. If someone wakes up hungover and starts ringing round taxi offices looking for it, I have handed it in already!

If I found £150 with no traceable details I would hand it in for sure, but I'm used to handing lost property in, it happens a lot in my job.

How rude of them! I recently left a bag in a taxi and they brought it back to me and I insisted on paying the fare from the taxi office to mine!

It actually happened to us when we were still in Montreal. We found an envelope with loads of cash in it (we didn't count it but it was clear it was a whole lot more) on a park bench, hidden off to the side. We were on our way to the pavilion with it to turn it in when we spotted a bride crying and rushing past us. We stopped her and asked if she was okay. She said about the envelope and we looked at her and said "You mean this one?" Her mother just raised her hands towards the sky and then clapped. I dunno what she said, it sure wasn't English or French. They thanked us profusely. I have no idea why it was in that envelope on that bench but I can't blame them for having their thoughts elsewhere. They had been doing pictures there and simply forgot to pick it up. I can't imagine that poor girl's day being ruined by us having kept that money. I don't know that it'd be wrong to keep it if I never knew a person would care much to have lost it but I just couldn't keep it if I could even think of it upsetting someone so much. Meh, I don't need money enough to really care about it. Not that I'd really judge anyone doing differently if they didn't know of any consequences either...

Btw, it was actually more my OH that found it and dealt with it. We had just started dating too. While we didn't get the money, it sure gave me a good glimpse of what he valued most.

If I found money in a wallet, purse, envelope or whatever, no matter what amount, I'd hand it in.
You don't know why it's been dropped or whatever, could even be stolen and they panicked and dropped it or dropped it by accident. Someone could be in a real state over losing that money so I just couldn't keep it.

I would hand it in as I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about how gutted someone must be to lose the money. I would be too scared of karma, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->