what would you do if...

catty

Reaction score
You were giving a gift from the giving tree.
Today at playgroup we were all given a gift for our children from the giving tree. This is a tree that people take a child's name off and buy them a Christmas present. This is meant to be for children who will not be getting Xmas presents.
The gift tag said to Lucas age 3. Thank you for bringing this child happiness at Christmas.

I'm feeling a bit strange about it.
1) we are more than able to buy our own presents
2) someone has bought that toy thinking it is going to a deprived child.

Inside is a remote control fire engine and it's a fair size :/

I'd be asking your playgroup why exactly are they getting people to buy gifts thinking they're for deprived children, when really they're not.

The area our playgroup is in is classed as 'deprived' area. Thing is although we go there we really aren't deprived. I feel like a bit of a thief

I would be seriously annoyed about this.

The present would have been given in good faith from someone that believed it was going to a child who had nothing to open on xmas morning.

I kind of know how you feel. My daughter goes to a school in a deprived area catchment and they get funding for extra stuff. Last year they got panto tickets and my daughter got randomly picked but I felt bad because we could afford the tickets.

I imagine playgroup didn't feel comfortable leaving your son out when thI other children were receiving gifts.

My dad said I should put it into the trolleys at asda which go to children but tbh I'm not sure I even want to as now I know it is sometimes going to people like me.
Just makes me feel guilty and doesn't feel morally right.

We're different as we're in Scotland, but here you can give to Toy Appeals where families can only be referred by Social Services so you know they really need them. Is there nothing like that near you?​

We're different as we're in Scotland, but here you can give to Toy Appeals where families can only be referred by Social Services so you know they really need them. Is there nothing like that near you?​

We are in Scotland. We have a cash for kids appeal that's with the radio, this one was a charity one x

Oh I see what you mean - I will have a look!

My middle girl got a gift from young carers through the radio station. She got it at school and I knew nothing about it. We are registered with the support group but thats it! It was really expensive gift too. Am greatful but feels odd doesnt it x

I don't quite understand, how did your sons name get on the tree?

The playgroup must have put all of the children's names on the tree. None of us knew about it though.

I think maybe some parents qualify but it looks bad just giving a few, I'm honestly not sure but doesn't seem right

The playgroup must have put all of the children's names on the tree. None of us knew about it though.

I think maybe some parents qualify but it looks bad just giving a few, I'm honestly not sure but doesn't seem right

So maybe it's more like a secret santa thing? I don't know, just a possibility

https://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q564/catherinerobertson89/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-12-18-19-59-20_zps14yw3ijf.png

https://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q564/catherinerobertson89/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-12-18-20-00-45_zpsd1rkvlbd.png

Oh god there is no mistaking that! I would probably redonate the gift

I would re-donate it. Like you say, those sorts of things are for children who literally get nothing at christmas.

I also think nobody should be putting your name on that tree without telling you/asking first.

I would re-donate and i would take it up with the group that you'd have preffered to have had to option to opt out of the giving tree. if it was only a few people who needed them they could have been given afterwards (just for the kids sake as they wouldn't understand)

Oh my goodness this is so odd isn't it. I can't understand why the playgroup would put the children's names on there!? If it was a secret Santa between yourselves where you all chose a name and the parents got a gift for a different child then fine but someone has donated a gift thinking it's going to a child that's really in need and it isn't at all. I'd definitely have words with whoever runs the playgroup and even maybe the charity to see what they have to say about it.
Regarding the gift, can you not choose a name off the tree and give it to someone else? X

From what I've just read on that website it looks like the person who runs playgroup must have put everyone's name forward. Maybe because like you said th area you live in, or perhaps the group is meant for low income families. In which case I'd still speak with her/him and ask for the gift to go to someone who actually needs it.

Ps I'm not saying Lucas doesn't deserve it! I just know he will get lots off mummy and daddy anyway :)

Eek, I'd feel really uncomfortable.
If he'd already opened the gift I wouldn't re-donate because it'd feel really mean, but I think I'd contact the charity to express concern that it is being misused.

I'd be really uncomfortable too. I agree with redonating it or if you don't want to take it away from your son maybe donate something of equal value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->