What would you think if you met a little girl named....

i like it, but i cant stop singing "roll me ov-er in the clo-ver" :dohh:
sweet name though :)

its nice :D different aswell, i personally wouldnt call my child it, but i like the name :D
is pretty :) x

dont like it...just couldnt imagine a grown up with that name :lol:

How is it different from something like Lily or Chloe? Just curious and looking for perspective...

lily was actually our girl name of choice but we were going with Lillyan so that she could be lily as a child but if she were a business woman or Dr or such she could have a more grown up name :) I wouldnt actually go with Just lily even though my DH had different view on that as well. Chloe I dont actually know anybody named that that is grown but think I could see a grown up with that name. clover just sounds like something Id name a rabbit or something JMO maybe its because Ive never heard anyone called that before as we all know that the more commonly used a name is the more we overlook how different it is so I guess if I had heard it alot Id probably have a different view on it.

I think its not so much meeting a little girl called Clover, but meeting an adult woman called Clover. We are giving them names for life not just childhood.

I think its not so much meeting a little girl called Clover, but meeting an adult woman called Clover. We are giving them names for life not just childhood.

Yes, I know. I actually say this quite often to people who want to name their kids Ellie or Addie or Allie or Maddie.....so I agree. I doubt I would ever actually name a future daughter Clover, but I just think it's adorable and wanted some others opinions! :winkwink:

i like that it's different but for me personally i don't like it, sorry :blush:

I really love it, and listed it as a top contender for DD's name, however when I mentioned it to hubby he said 'she would get too much stick from boys when shes older, Clover - spreads easily!' (as in the butter and legs). So have to say, the thought of that put me off, but I still think its a lovely name. :hugs:

If I'm being honest I think it's ridiculous - the girl would end up with people constantly making fun of her name at school - I'm a teacher and I had a boy in my class called Oak, and I saw what happens......parents need to think about this, a name we think is 'cute' could end up being a right pain for the child!

If I'm being honest I think it's ridiculous - the girl would end up with people constantly making fun of her name at school - I'm a teacher and I had a boy in my class called Oak, and I saw what happens......parents need to think about this, a name we think is 'cute' could end up being a right pain for the child!

Too right about the ridiculous names, although in defense of Clover I think it was used quite a lot 100 years ago. I think it's a pretty name for a little girl, I'm just not sure it will stand adulthood.
Calling your children 'Oak' or 'Dolphin' (another name I have heard), I think is almost a form of child abuse. Giving children silly names not about giving your child a name that they can cherish, it's about wanting attention for yourself. When we give our baby its name, we should aim to give it a name that will help them in life not hinder them. The name is not about us, the name is about them as they will have to live with it for life (unless they hate it so much they change it by deed poll). I have read a case where parents lost custody of their 9 year old daughter so she could change her name. The world will be hard enough for a babies growing up, I don't think that we should make it harder for them by calling them "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii". Still, this isn't an attack on Clover, I hope you understand that:winkwink:.

I'm not normally one to support 'wierd and wonderful' names, but compared to some that seem to be getting used these days, it's not that 'out there'.

when 'Clover' is a mature woman, her peers will be called MyKenzee and Meadow and Frogspawn and all sorts of nonsense, so she won't be any more unusual than a Sarah or a Clare (who might actually be extinct by then, come to think of it...)

I think it is good to consider the long term effects, but really, Clover is not that whacky if you ask me.

(ps I made Frogspawn up... at least I hope I did...)

What's that show called..... totally spies. There is a girl named clover in that and the second thing that came to mind tbh was a cow :/ But that is because I am not used to hearing it, if I knew her then I would think of her when I heard it and at least there is no negative baggage attached to it from tv/ films. This is actually really growing on me, it's really pretty xx

when 'Clover' is a mature woman, her peers will be called MyKenzee and Meadow and Frogspawn and all sorts of nonsense, so she won't be any more unusual than a Sarah or a Clare (who might actually be extinct by then, come to think of it...)

I think it is good to consider the long term effects, but really, Clover is not that whacky if you ask me.

So true. I would much rather be named Clover (which people can actually spell) than be named something that is impossible to spell like so many people are doing these days. I've seen quite a few crazy spellings when I worked at a clinic and I struggled to pronounce them because they are crazy---MyKenzee, Elyzybeth, Chyloe (shiloh...yes I saw this once), Anahliyah, Harleylynn....In a bunch like that, Clover would be the lucky one! :winkwink:

But yes, I get what some of you are saying....and I completely agree about giving a child a name that they will be able to carry throughout lifehood. I say this all the time to people. And like I said, I'm not even pregnant...just wanted to see what you all thought about it as a name. Thanks again

Just to be fair, Clover isn't exactly "ridiculous." It does have a history of being used as a name and it is just as legit as Lily, Daisy, Rose or Poppy being used. It's just more rare so it's not as accepted.

https://www.structuralpackaging.com/images/portfolio/port_bg_clover.jpg

She'd be called Lurpack in school.

Just to be fair, Clover isn't exactly "ridiculous." It does have a history of being used as a name and it is just as legit as Lily, Daisy, Rose or Poppy being used. It's just more rare so it's not as accepted.

I didn't know that, but fair point!

Although, I doubt any kids at school will know that either, so to them the link to margarine will probably be what they think of rather than the fact it was used years ago, lol.

But - if we all liked the same names the world would be a boring place I guess?!

https://www.structuralpackaging.com/images/portfolio/port_bg_clover.jpg

She'd be called Lurpack in school.

:dohh: You're right!

Let's hope she'd have a sense of humour - the little boy called Oak in my class was such a sweetie, I remember marking a peice of work he'd done - a newspaper he'd called 'The Mighty Acorn'

Bless him!

i personally like the name..But i dont know what id say if i met someone called clover..i think it would suit as a middle name :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->