What would you think if you met a little girl named....

Lovebunny

I am really shocked by what you have said about me and how judgemental you are. You have called me snobbish, disgusting, pathetic, selfish, demeaning, and insulting because I dare to say that I don't like certain names. Because I feel sorry for children who are so unhappy with their name that at 9 years old they ask to become a ward of Court so they can change their name:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeands...nships.newzealand?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

I can't believe that you or any mother on this forum would condone the actions of parents that have caused so much pain and suffering to that little girl but you are doing exactly that. If I decided to call my baby 'Adolf Hitler', 'Hate' or 'Sl*g' would you say 'I love that name, it's so unusual!'? I find it hard to imagine. I may have a different threshold than you, but everyone has limits however 'open-minded' they claim they are.

I think that exposing your children to ridicule amoungst their peers, is a form of child abuse, intentional or otherwise. I don't care if you think I'm wrong, I know people who's lives have been made a misery at school because they have an outlandish name and I grew up in Brighton which is generally very tolerant. By the way name 'Oak' came from a post by saml1 who is a teacher and sees it happen. I'm not sure why it isn't comparable to Dolphin, it is also a noun that I has been appropriated for a boys name.

Also, I wouldn't make fun of someone because of their name, I'm not a horrible person whatever you may think. I might question the judgement of the parents in my own mind but I wouldn't treat them any differently.

We won't agree on any of this of course but I think as you have launched quite a vicious and public attack on me it is only right for me to defend myself.

Sorry,but i would just have to make a joke about butter !!!! :shrug:

For a start, if you had read my post properly you would find that:

• I didn't say that YOU were snobbish OR disgusting - I said what you wrote was snobbish and disgusting. Nowhere in my post did I call you pathetic, selfish, demeaning, and insulting either. Like I said if you read what I put I said that your post was these things and some of your comments :thumbup: NOT you personally which you are very quick to play the victim of
  • Its nothing to do with what you "dare" to say, you can say what you like til the cows come home but its to do with how you put it and what you implied. You can say what you like to justify it but it was pretty cruel.
  • No-one said about calling their children anything obscene like slag or hate or Adolf Hitler - thats just you being a little bit extreme and exaggerating I think! And I really don't even think "Dolphin" goes into that poor catagory of names you selected!
  • I'd hardly call it a vicious attack on you really, I think thats over-reacting a little! Again if you read my post I told you not to take it personally (which sadly you clearly have!) and that it was directed at many other posts & opinions similar to yours.
  • Lastly you seem to be refering to names of very vast differences which is really quite contradicting being as I don't think anyone would put "slag" and "Dolphin" in the same catagory :rofl:

:dohh:

I thought we already established that what might be a 'weird' name to one person isn't to another.

Why on earth is everyone getting so heated up over it? Honestly, it's a name! Call your kids what you like! There's going to be people all across life who will like it, and those who won't.

The grass is always greener. I have friends with unique names and hated it because they could never find personalized stuff, or got teased. People have complained about having too common of a name because there were a bunch of kids with the same name as them.

For pete's sake, you can't win! Just let it go and to each their own!

I thought we already established that what might be a 'weird' name to one person isn't to another.

Why on earth is everyone getting so heated up over it? Honestly, it's a name! Call your kids what you like! There's going to be people all across life who will like it, and those who won't.

The grass is always greener. I have friends with unique names and hated it because they could never find personalized stuff, or got teased. People have complained about having too common of a name because there were a bunch of kids with the same name as them.

Yes, this. Everyone has a different opinion. Everyone has a different naming style. And that's okay. I can't stand when people name their beautiful baby girls a boys name like Ryan, but does that mean I'm right and they're wrong? No. It's just a difference of opinion...and there's no reason to get so heated over it.

I think that exposing your children to ridicule amoungst their peers, is a form of child abuse, intentional or otherwise.

I just need to comment on this. Child abuse...Really? I think you're being a little over-dramatic here. You can't protect your children from everything, and every kid is going to get teased at some point in their life. It's part of growing up. If your kid isn't teased for being named Julia Goolia then they will get teased for the clothes they where, the lunch they bring, the answer they gave in class....there will always be something. It's life and you can't hold your kid's hand every second until they turn 18 so you are going to have to get used to it.

For a start, if you had read my post properly you would find that:

• I didn't say that YOU were snobbish OR disgusting - I said what you wrote was snobbish and disgusting. Nowhere in my post did I call you pathetic, selfish, demeaning, and insulting either. Like I said if you wrote what I put I said that your post was these things and some of your comments :thumbup:
  • Its nothing to do with what you "dare" to say, you can say what you like til the cows come home but its to do with how you put it and what you implied. You can say what you like to justify it but it was pretty cruel.
  • No-one said about calling their children anything obscene like slag or hate or Adolf Hitler - thats just you being a little bit extreme and exaggerating I think! And I really don't even think "Dolphin" goes into that poor catagory of names you selected!
  • I'd hardly call it a vicious attack on you really, I think thats over-reacting a little! Again if you read my post I told you not to take it personally (which sadly you clearly have!) and that it was directed at many other posts & opinions similar to yours.
  • Lastly you seem to be refering to names of very vast differences which is really quite contradicting being as I don't think anyone would put "slag" and "Dolphin" in the same catagory :rofl:

1. Saying what I wrote e.g. my opinion is snobbish and disgusting is the same as saying I am. My opinions are what makes my personality and my personality is what makes me what I am. Therefore if you say that what I wrote is snobbish then you say that I am snobbish. There is no distinction. Again: "Comments like yours, among others about so-called different names are very selfish and narrow minded and extremely insulting and demeaning to people who have named their children alternative names." I believe you have used the words "selfish", "narrow minded", "insulting" and "demeaning".

2. I don't see what I said what cruel. I didn't say that anyone called Oak or Dolphin is likely to be an idiot or loser. You posted your response because I have an opinion that is different to yours. I think its cruel to give a child a name that can be emotionally and socially damaging to them, you think its cruel for me to voice this opinion.

3. I was just using the "Obscene" names to show that everyone has limits to what they feel people should name their children, so as you are saying I'm being extreme I have proved my point.

4. If you don't want me to take your post personally, don't quote my post and then analyse everything I say. Put a general post about peoples opinions on outlandish names. You picked my post alone, you singled me out and that makes it personal. Also don't use such emotive words as snobbish and disgusting. You might say its over reacting but I am actually very insulted. You can't make a personal attack on what I say and then say 'Don't take it personally.'

5. Again, of course I wasn't putting Dolphin and Slag in the same catergory, I was pointing out that there were always going to be names that people think are going too far. For some it might be Clover (not me I hasten to add Roo, I have told you my opinions on that), for some Oak, others Dolphin and almost everyone Slag (its against UK law anyway).

Yes, this. Everyone has a different opinion. Everyone has a different naming style. And that's okay. I can't stand when people name their beautiful baby girls a boys name like Ryan, but does that mean I'm right and they're wrong? No. It's just a difference of opinion...and there's no reason to get so heated over it.

I think that exposing your children to ridicule amoungst their peers, is a form of child abuse, intentional or otherwise.

I just need to comment on this. Child abuse...Really? I think you're being a little over-dramatic here. You can't protect your children from everything, and every kid is going to get teased at some point in their life. It's part of growing up. If your kid isn't teased for being named Julia Goolia then they will get teased for the clothes they where, the lunch they bring, the answer they gave in class....there will always be something. It's life and you can't hold your kid's hand every second until they turn 18 so you are going to have to get used to it.

Yes I do think it can be akin to child abuse in some cases. Read the Guardian article I posted.

1. Saying what I wrote e.g. my opinion is snobbish and disgusting is the same as saying I am. My opinions are what makes my personality and my personality is what makes me what I am. Therefore if you say that what I wrote is snobbish then you say that I am snobbish. There is no distinction. Again: "Comments like yours, among others about so-called different names are very selfish and narrow minded and extremely insulting and demeaning to people who have named their children alternative names." I believe you have used the words "selfish", "narrow minded", "insulting" and "demeaning".

2. I don't see what I said what cruel. I didn't say that anyone called Oak or Dolphin is likely to be an idiot or loser. You posted your response because I have an opinion that is different to yours. I think its cruel to give a child a name that can be emotionally and socially damaging to them, you think its cruel for me to voice this opinion.

3. I was just using the "Obscene" names to show that everyone has limits to what they feel people should name their children, so as you are saying I'm being extreme I have proved my point.

4. If you don't want me to take your post personally, don't quote my post and then analyse everything I say. Put a general post about peoples opinions on outlandish names. You picked my post alone, you singled me out and that makes it personal. Also don't use such emotive words as snobbish and disgusting. You might say its over reacting but I am actually very insulted. You can't make a personal attack on what I say and then say 'Don't take it personally.'

5. Again, of course I wasn't putting Dolphin and Slag in the same catergory, I was pointing out that there were always going to be names that people think are going too far. For some it might be Clover (not me I hasten to add Roo, I have told you my opinions on that), for some Oak, others Dolphin and almost everyone Slag (its against UK law anyway).

Nope sorry you are wrong again.

If I was to say to someone "You are stupid" it would certainly be different from me saying "You are acting stupid"

There is a difference

But if you wanna play the victim, be my guest.

Like I said "comments LIKE yours" does not mean "YOU ARE"

Wow you really like wallowing don't you?

If I'm being honest I think it's ridiculous - the girl would end up with people constantly making fun of her name at school - I'm a teacher and I had a boy in my class called Oak, and I saw what happens......parents need to think about this, a name we think is 'cute' could end up being a right pain for the child!

Too right about the ridiculous names, although in defense of Clover I think it was used quite a lot 100 years ago. I think it's a pretty name for a little girl, I'm just not sure it will stand adulthood.
Calling your children 'Oak' or 'Dolphin' (another name I have heard), I think is almost a form of child abuse. Giving children silly names not about giving your child a name that they can cherish, it's about wanting attention for yourself. When we give our baby its name, we should aim to give it a name that will help them in life not hinder them. The name is not about us, the name is about them as they will have to live with it for life (unless they hate it so much they change it by deed poll). I have read a case where parents lost custody of their 9 year old daughter so she could change her name. The world will be hard enough for a babies growing up, I don't think that we should make it harder for them by calling them "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii". Still, this isn't an attack on Clover, I hope you understand that:winkwink:.

I hadn't read this before now... and to be honest I think what you wrote is really quite snobbish and disgusting! One of my best and oldest friends is called Oak and I think its a beautiful name and he is now 23 and it suits him now like it always has done down to the ground. And funnily enough thats what our baby would have been called (Oak or Sage) had she been a boy. It hardly compairs to your pathetic comparison of "Dolphin" !

I really don't get what people mean when they say - "I don't know how it will stand in adulthood" You grow up with your name and it grows with you :shrug: its not like all of a sudden you hit 28 and its like OH NO! MY NAME IS CHILDISH NOW!?

I mean god what about names like "Betty" or "Doreen" or "Brenda" ?? They are very pretty old lady names but I couldn't imagine them on a baby??? I mean god forbid calling them something what apparently won't suit them all the way through their lives!!!

"Giving children silly names not about giving your child a name that they can cherish, it's about wanting attention for yourself."

Sorry hun but thats where you're WRONG.

If you wanna go calling your babies nice "normal" common names, then you do that. But you should NEVER ever ridicule parents for calling their children names that they genuinely love that are NOT attention seeking. At the end of the day its people like you poking fun at people with different names that are the issue.

I can't count on one hand how many friends I have who have the same name as another and thats not counting people who I am only aquainted with either! I know about 6 Charlottes, 8 Adams, 5 Matts/Matthews (one of whome is my OH!) 4 Jacks, 3 Carolines etc the list is endless! And I myself am one of about 8 Jessica's I know! And guess what! I HATE that my name is common and I wish my mum had called me something more exotic!

I would love for my baby to have a name that no one else they know has. Because that to me is something that they will cherish. Not the fact that they know 6 others with their same name.

Its all about personality and who you baby grows up to be. And I think a name has alot to do with how they will turn out in this day and age. All my friends who have "unusual" or "different" names are the most beautiful people I know - They are kind, generous, open minded and very individual people who love that their names set them apart from everyone else! And wouldn't think twice about condecending someones name choice! When I've been with them and we meet new people they have comments like "WOW I love your name" and "what is its meaning" or "I'm so jealous I wish I had a name like yours!"

Comments like yours, among others about so-called different names are very selfish and narrow minded and extremely insulting and demeaning to people who have named their children alternative names.

I know if I had read this and my baby was here (with some "whacky" name which I'm sure you'd be quick to slate!) I would be extremely upset.

I wouldn't take this personally as this is for pretty much everyone with a problem with people calling their kids something different.

WOW! Sorry for the essay everyone! Hope reading it wasnt too much of a waste of time ;) And apologies ~Roo~ for monopolising your thread and going slightly off topic hahaha I am in a ranty mood :haha:

People need to get over it that names like "katie" and "amy" just don't cut the mustard for some people!

Mmmmm mustard :rofl:

:thumbup:

Nope sorry you are wrong again.

If I was to say to someone "You are stupid" it would certainly be different from me saying "You are acting stupid"

There is a difference

But if you wanna play the victim, be my guest.

Like I said "comments LIKE yours" does not mean "YOU ARE"

Wow you really like wallowing don't you?

Rubbish. If you were to say "You are acting selfishly" it is the same as saying "You are selfish." Don't argue semantics with me. You insulted me on a public forum without knowing me. I don't think I'm playing the victim or wallowing, I'm just standing up for myself and what I believe in.

ANYWAY! As much as I love a good banter I really can't stand all this clucking! At least if your going to argue a point please don't use the "poor me, you called me names" card. When I really didn't. Again really sorry ~Roo~ I have a habit of getting myself into an earbashing ! !

I'll leave you ladies to it :hugs:

xX

Two hormonal ladies and two very different opinions are not a great combination!:winkwink: Sorry Roo!

This is why I dont comment on name threads because someone is always going to be offended. Names are such a personal thing. It was me earlier in the thread.

:shock: wow over a name this is fun to read though and since this post I gotta say reading the name clover over so much Im warmin up to it lol and once mustard was mentioned thats all Ive been thinkin bout :) not sure why everyone thinks they gotta fight over difference of opinion or why some opinions are so harsh cant we all get along :)

this thread reminded me of the song "a boy named sue" by Johnny Cash :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1BJfDvSITY

People....can this Meadow argument be laid to rest??!!!

People have different opinions....its the way of the world :)

Thank you suzanne108! My post has become completely hijacked and people aren't commenting about my original question anymore.

If you have more arguing to do...please send eachother PMs. Thanks.

What happened to the PMs?

This argument is pathetic imo!!!

And my little boy is called Dolphin....I believe someone called that pathetic??

(I don't really have a little boy called Dolphin :haha: but I COULD...and the person that called it pathetic was the one pro unusual names :nope: )

Ladies i think you need to take a step back from this thread and stop getting so personal with eachother.

Like Sparks has said, names are a personal choice, personal to you and your partner, its nobody else place to make judgement on what name you choose for your child.

There is such as a thing called tact and i think a few people need to think about what they are posting before you hit the submit reply button. You many not mean to offend someone with your opinion but if you do then you should accept that not start arguing about it

I don't like the name Clover but if you do like it then use it (I know you said it's not happening yet but I mean if it does) and don't care what I like or anyone else here likes. If you think it's the perfect name for your little girl and you have chosen it with thought and love and care then it is the perfect name for her.

I've had the butter song in my head since I opened the thread but it's no worse than Flora (also a butter in the UK) or Ariel (a soap powder) and those are both lovely names that are or have been quite popular.

I have seen the article about the little girl called Talula Does The Hula In Hawaii before and I did feel very sorry for her. If I remember that's where the other names, Adolf Hitler and Hate etc, came from too. The article was prompted because a bakery refused to ice a birthday cake for little Adolf Hitler who was about to turn 3 or 4 and the parents went to the press to complain. I think social services became involved when the story came to light but not necessarily because of the names (apologies if that's wrong, it's been a while since I read the article.) There was even some poor child named Number 16 Bus Stop and in cases like that I think the parents should be prevented from registering the name (is it France that has an official list of approved names? If the name isn't on it you can't use it.)

I do think all those names in the article I read are a little extreme and in the case of the little boy named Adolf Hitler (who has two sisters with nazi themed names too) I do think those names were given in an attention seeking way rather than a "what a beautiful, unique name for my child who I love" way, so I can understand someone saying that those names are a form of attention seeking. Nobody with any grasp of history can say they chose those names for their child with any thought other than hatred of somebody in mind and they have used their baby to show that. Why could the parents not change their own names instead of forcing them on their children?

The ones in debate here, Clover, Oak, Dolphin, Meadow, they may be a little unusual for some people and quite ordinary for others. Not everyone will like them but it doesn't matter as long as the children do.

My children's names are quite ordinary to anyone but us and I don't care. To me they are the most beautiful names in the world and special because they so obviously were the right names for my babies. I don't care if Dolphin's mum thinks they are boring (example only, no offence meant) because when I hear them I hear the most beautiful names ever and I chose them with love and care (as did Dolphin's mum). The most unusual is Ally's middle name, MacRae, which is an old family name and quite special to me even before I chose it for my son's middle name.

My mum wanted to name me Posy when I was born and I would have been Dozy Posy or Poser (or worse) at school and I know I would have hated it. Instead my Dad chose Jody which was a bit unusual at the time but fairly ordinary now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->