Whats the deal with lifting?

Natnee

Mummy to Belle
Reaction score
My mum and a friend have told me not to lift? :shrug: Well I work in a supermarket in the clothing section and it's quite a physical job most of the time, lifting boxes/crates, pulling rails around, going up ladders in the warehouse. I wasn't planning on telling work for a couple of weeks, I'm not even 4 weeks yet! Should I be worried about lifting this early? I can understand when you are bigger and sense of balance is out. I only work 12 hours a week so it's not every day.

Yeah I'd be telling work, especially if you have a physical job.
I will be telling my work as soon as I know because we use chemicals to remove markings off glasses which is harmful to pregnant ladies.

I'm not sure why, but I reckon it's something to do with the stress it puts on your body or if you were to lean things against yourself while carrying etc.

I was so annoyed when preg with DD, we moved and I kept helping and being told off.
We are moving in October so it'll most likely turn out the same again! Haha.

I told my head at 6 weeks due to the nature of my work, I teach technology and regularly work with paints, varnish, chemicals... Plus I never sit down and do a lot of lifting. I avoided this before the summer but I'm going to carry out a risk assessment on myself when we go back in September as I'm not going to let anything put this babby at risk!

Well I've got a couple more weeks at work then I'm off for a couple of weeks, so was thinking I'd say something then, I will be 8 weeks then. Oh I don't know, I just don't want everyone to know yet, people might get suspicious if I wasn't allowed to do things?

u need to tell them not doing so is putting baby at risk. who cares what other people think u have to think of baby and put it first xx

You can lift but not strenuous like humphing boxes and stuff. I had to tell my work early with last pregnancy as i lift baggage and search people

I have been lifting when I can't avoid it, large dogs that have been sedated etc but I have avoided big bags of food and things. I'm careful when lifting anything but can't avoid it all the time.

You can still do the same lifting you always have. This is not, however, the time to add more.

Your body's muscles know what is up.

The lifting becomes a problem when you start to have stretching pain in your stomach area and you will feel that in your second trimester. The other thing with lifting is that you may start to notice that you are breathing for 2 so you may be out of breath.

I continued with my my regular workout (lifting 10-15lbs at the gym, weighted yoga, pilates, and running) and just now at 17 weeks am having to cut back.

You should be fine continuing you as you are. Just listen to your body and if it tells you no (soreness, pain) then reduce. I wouldn't completely stop as its healthy to be physical throughout your pregnancy (just modify when necessary).

u need to tell them not doing so is putting baby at risk. who cares what other people think u have to think of baby and put it first xx

I just don't want everyone to know before 12 week scan. This is a very large store, I'm talking about 600 staff. Of course I don't know everyone! But if something was to go wrong before 12 weeks I just don't want more people than necessary knowing and then having to tell people.

What I really want to know is why is it putting baby at risk? It is just a teeny weeny bunch of cells at the moment, snugly cushioned inside me, what is going to happen to it?

im not 100% sure hun but I have always been told lifting heavy things etc is a risk to baby even early on as can cause m/c (so am told) I will have a research x

My doctor told me that - unless you are at risk of mc for some other reason and are told to rest - it's not so much about harming the baby as harming yourself. Your hormones will be causing your ligaments to soften and so it is much easier to end up with back problems, sprains, bad hips, SPD etc if you are lifting, twisting, heaving things about etc. As your pregnancy continues, strenuous activity can be uncomfortable and can bring on tightenings / Braxton Hicks, as well as breathlessness.

As others have said, it is not a good idea to increase your level of activity at this point, just do what your body is used to. Obviously other things like risk from chemicals, animals, children (contagious diseases) etc need to be considered as well. I personally told the one manager at work who deals with the risk assessments about my pregnancy, so that she could quietly sort out a risk assessment for me.

Also, ladders, or anything you can fall off or fall over are not great, as again this can cause you more injury than usual, and is more likely in pregnancy due to things like dizzy spells, feeling weak / faint / nauseous etc.

Well I've got a couple more weeks at work then I'm off for a couple of weeks, so was thinking I'd say something then, I will be 8 weeks then. Oh I don't know, I just don't want everyone to know yet, people might get suspicious if I wasn't allowed to do things?

Don't worry, you can just tell your manager who is under obligation to keep it between you and him/her. For all everyone else knows you could have hurt your back? Trapped nerve. :thumbup:

Unless your doctor gives you a "lifting weight limit" don't stress about it.

Tell your employer asap, I was worried to tell mine, I didnt tell them until I was 12 weeks (I was actually 14) they told me I should of told them earlier so they could of done a risk assessment. I was still carrying on as normal, lifting things etc, I wasnt sure what the harm was until I started bleeding. Luckily my baby is 17 weeks with a strong heartbeat :) just tell them, they will keep it confidential & it will make your work life so much easier. Lol x

I have a job that comes with lifting, and some times I can't avoid it. I just work on the rule if I think I can lift it with ease or moderate effort I will but If I think I will have to strain to lift it or exhurt myself I won't and will ask for help.

It's my thinking that I was doing this job long before I was pregnant and did everyday then so I don't see much difference now that I'm hauling round a blueberry :)

Obviously the further I get the less I will lift.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->