When Must U return?

zoe6660

Reaction score
this may be stupid or not..
but when do women return to work after having a child,i know some can be full time mummy's but how long do u do this for?
and some go back to work right after having a child.
your experience would be great thanks

in the uk, the maximum maternity leave in 52 weeks. But you can take as much or as little as you want although it is compulsary to take the first 2 weeks off.

Most women make a decision about how long they take off based on their finances and personal choice.

I returned to work PT when my LO was 7 1/2 months; that was right for me!
xxx

I told work I wanted to take the 52 weeks but I'm actually going to hand my notice in a month before I'm due back - I want to be a full time mummy. I couldn't bear to leave Sophie now she's here! xx

Other things to bear in mind (assuming you're in the UK)

Maternity pay stops after 9 months
After 6 months they can make you do a different job (although most don't)
Work will assume you're taking 52 weeks off unless you tell them otherwise. And you need to give at least 8 weeks notice if you want to change the date you return.

There is no time you must return. If you want to keep your job, you need to return within 12 mths, that is legally the minimum amount of time they need to hold your job open for you.

I told work I wanted to take the 52 weeks but I'm actually going to hand my notice in a month before I'm due back - I want to be a full time mummy. I couldn't bear to leave Sophie now she's here! xx

I know exactly what you mean, I can't even bear thinking about leaving Lily-May! xx

I know exactly what you mean, I can't even bear thinking about leaving Lily-May! xx

I actually just couldn't do it! I'm dreading telling them...dreading bumping into anyone from work and being asked when I'm coming back! I'll feel better when my notice is handed in. I had nightmares the last 3 nights about being back there and leaving Sophie - I was dreaming that my mum was going to look after her but she hadn't arrived in time for me to go to work and I had to just leave Sophie on her own - it was AWFUL!!!!! I think I'm subconsciously thinking that if I WAS going back, I'd be going back in about 7 weeks or something....maternity leave sucks when you're got a preemie, spending the first 3 months of it visiting them in neonatal! xx

Other things to bear in mind (assuming you're in the UK)

Maternity pay stops after 9 months
After 6 months they can make you do a different job (although most don't)
Work will assume you're taking 52 weeks off unless you tell them otherwise. And you need to give at least 8 weeks notice if you want to change the date you return.

this caught my attention!! think i'm gonna have to check my letter I get from work when I gave them my MAT1 form as I'm sure my letter states that my expected return date is the 17th May - which is exactly 9 Months after my Mat leave started..

I thought they all assumed that you'd take the full 9 months and you have to tell them otherwise if you are taking the extra 3?

I know my friend is taking the 12 months and is telling her work a couple of months before as they are expecting her to go back after the 9 months too :S

but thanks for reminding me to dig my letter out!! lol don't wanna turn up on the 17th May and they not expecting me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->