when to start weaning? and what to start with

Crosby

Reaction score
My lo is 5 months and because she was a premie i had frequent visits from HV. Last visit was 2 months ago and we agreed to meet up again around 5 months to talk about weaning. I kind of lost contact with her, she hasnt been replying to my texts and not answering the phone.

I dont really mind, except im now gearing up for weaning and havent got a clue how and when to start?!

Am i meant to start at 6 months on the dot? What do i start with? Do i keep her on the same amount of milk or do i reduce milk ozs? Do i make food and puree it myself or do i buy jars?

I am totally clueless. Will do some reading up in the next week or so but its always useful to know other peoples experiences.

Much obliged in advance )))

My lo is 5 months and because she was a premie i had frequent visits from HV. Last visit was 2 months ago and we agreed to meet up again around 5 months to talk about weaning. I kind of lost contact with her, she hasnt been replying to my texts and not answering the phone.

I dont really mind, except im now gearing up for weaning and havent got a clue how and when to start?!

Am i meant to start at 6 months on the dot? What do i start with? Do i keep her on the same amount of milk or do i reduce milk ozs? Do i make food and puree it myself or do i buy jars?

I am totally clueless. Will do some reading up in the next week or so but its always useful to know other peoples experiences.

Much obliged in advance )))

I am new to this as well, but I think the first place to start is to decide whether you want to do traditional weaning (with purees), or baby led weaning where you just serve the baby the foods that you are eating (in appropriate sizes/shapes for them to be able to handle it). What you start to feed will depend on which method of weaning you want to follow.

I would like to try both, if thats possible. See what she takes to. She does like to pick things up and put them in her mouth so half way to BLW already lol. Im just scared of her choking on food

I would say start around 6 months, when you both feel ready. Ideally, she should be able to sit up relatively unaided (not tipping over to the side or leaning back in the high chair) to prevent choking. This might be a bit later if she was a preemie, just trust your gut on when you feel it's right to start. There really is no hurry and you can start slowly. We did just one meal a day for the first month and went up to three meals by 7.5 months. No you don't reduce her milk feeds, just add in a little bit of food at a meal when you sit down to eat anyway, and keep offering her as much milk as she wants. It will reduce in time on its own, but she won't be eating enough to start to make up for a reduction in milk feeds. We didn't see milk start to reduce until probably about 9-10 months.

We did baby-led weaning and it was amazing. No extra work making too many special things just for her as she mostly ate what we ate, or some variant of it (for example, if what we were having was a spicy curry, initially I made her something different or a milder version of the same. Now that she's older, she eats everything we eat, even spicy foods). I really do believe it's why we've had limited periods of fussy eating and now have a 3.5 year old who eats a wider variety of foods than most adults do. We literally rarely go out for a meal without a stranger commenting to us about how amazed they are that she's eating what she's eating at her age. Whether you do BLW or purees though, from 6 months, they can have everything except whole nuts (nut butters are fine), honey (unless it's well-cooked in a recipe), or added sugar and salt. If you or your partner have any food allergies though, I'd take it slow introducing those specific foods, otherwise, there are really few things she can't have and you don't have to introduce things slowly or staggered. Our daughter's first meal at 6 months was a Sunday lunch and she had roasted carrot and parsnips with garlic and rosemary, a yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes. So you don't have to do purees at all, though if you do, obviously it's always better to try to make them yourself (just puree what you're already eating, before you add lots of salt or whatever) because, of course, it's much cheaper, but also means your baby gets used to the types of foods you already eat. That way when you do transition to all eating the same things, it will already be familiar, even if the form will be a bit different.

I got a book, for my first baby I did traditional weaning (purées) and used the annabel Karmel. For my second and third I did baby led weaning (I do use some purée type foods but only ones that would be mushy for us too like soup or weetabix, I spoon feed these)- I used the baby led weaning cook book by gill rapley. I fully recommend both of those they take you through weaning from day one, explain what types of foods to give, which aren't allowed etc

Eta both my blw kids gagged on foods, but they have never choked. They just gag and then bring the food out. Don't panic, they know what they're doing! I've heard a babies gag reflex is such that they are less likely to choke than we are. Of course there are recommended ways to prepare foods too like cutting up grapes etc

I hear the 'baby led weaning' book is really good. We started with baby-led on the half-birthday, but then moved to purees as it's much easier and less messy. Wewere moving houses and simply didn't have the time for baby-led, which I regret slughtly!

I have ended doing purees. I tried blw but she choked a couple of times and i chickened out.

She is a good eater, takes the spoon off me and puts into her mouth so not entirely passive.

I do not regret doing purees. I would rather be safe than sorry

I have ended doing purees. I tried blw but she choked a couple of times and i chickened out.

She is a good eater, takes the spoon off me and puts into her mouth so not entirely passive.

I do not regret doing purees. I would rather be safe than sorry

I absolutely understand the fear, especially if it was full on choking (silent, going purple etc.) rather than just gagging - which looks and sounds dramatic but is a safety mechanism and means all is well. I had to sit on my hands for the first few weeks in order not to panic and turn LO upside down at the first sign of anything.

That said, even traditional weaning with purees adds in finger foods at around this time so maybe it would be reassuring to take a paediatric first aid course so you could learn what to do if the worst happened.

What reassured me was to read in the Gill Rapley book about how a baby around 6months has a gag reflex quite far forward in their mouth. This means that they gag all the time but the food never really gets that close to their windpipe. So they learn to chew first but don't get a chance to swallow anything because unless its already really well chewed they just gag it back out. Once chewing is mastered then they get to swallowing. This sounds like a sensible way round. An older baby learning to chew for the first time has a gag reflex that has moved further back in their mouth so food gets closer to the wind pipe before it gets gagged out. This may LOOK less worrying because there's less frequent gagging, but in reality larger chunks are able to move further back more easily, which is a bigger choking risk.

Obviously anyone can choke at any age, so the best protection is first aid and supervision. There are many children who do finger food and lumpy food later on who don't choke, but the above explanation is what helped me through the first few weeks.

Just remember food before one is just for fun. Make milk babies main food until around 1.

I personally will be staying away from grains until at least a year (I didn't with dd1 but her main food was still vegetables).

Egg yolk is good too. Don't worry about being fancy. There's nothing wrong with sticking to veggies and some fruit.

There's nothing wrong with purees at all. It's best to make your own. Add a bit of coconut oil or butter and some stock and as they get a little older maybe a few spices. You can freeze these in little portions to make it easier for you.

There's nothing wrong with purees at all. It's best to make your own. Add a bit of coconut oil or butter and some stock and as they get a little older maybe a few spices. You can freeze these in little portions to make it easier for you.

But not shop bought stock, that has lots of added salt.

But not shop bought stock, that has lots of added salt.

Yes very true. I always make my own so didn't even think about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->