Which names do you think are getting overused?

Mummy and Preggo with #2!
Reaction score
Before I start - this thread is not intended to offend/insult anybody or their name choices!

I was just wondering if anyone felt the same as I do, as I read through name lists etc. searching for the "perfect" name for Squiggle, there are some names I feel have become very popular to the point of being a bit overused. :shrug:

For example, we all know that John is a common name, and because of that I would never use it....although I can see why people do if they have a family connection etc.
But lately I have noticed other names being used a lot and I am just worried about my child ending up being one of 6 with the same name in his class at school one day.

eg. Grace, Hope, Faith, Ella, Bella or for boys Logan, Bailey, Harvey, Liam

These are all lovely names and I would actually consider using each one, if it weren't for the feeling that so many others were doing the same.

What are your thoughts? :flower:

Me and my OH/FOB both think the name Logan is adorable, but unfortunately, that's his second name :haha:

And yeah, I agree - some of the originally-less-common names are now being over used.

We're sticking to Allan since it's my OH's name and we thought it'd be nice to name his son after him :D xx

Everyone around here is naming their daughter Ella and son Liam.

Hey!

I hadnt really heard of the name Olivia before, now that i have given that name to my daughter-everyone is called Olivia!

My friend called her little boy Aaron and now i'v heard loads of little boys called Aaron xx

Seems like since the Twilight craze, there have been lots of Bella's, Edward's, and Jacob's. I also think there are a lot of Emma's and Emily's. At least around here!

Seems like everyone around here is naming their baby Aiden. Or something that rhymes with Aiden... Brayden, Jaden, Caden, etc.

I think some people like popular names others do not. So naming crazes are in part cultural norms, in that some people want their child to have one.
Sometimes it is not by choice people chose a popular name. I think what happens alot, is you hear a name once - like it:shrug: and then once you have used it and your child is around other children and in school you discover how many there are. Also, pop culture brings a name to millions - 'Twilight' - Soap operas... There were lots of Kaylas in the late 80's early 90's in the US from a soap opera character. My sister is an Ashley - my mother heard it on a soap in 1982-3 - thought it would be unique - errr:dohh:
Now we have Twilght Isabellas. Lovely name but I would not chose it now.
I am someone who prefers non-top ten - so will probably stay away from the top 50 , as by the time the baby is born the name could have risen:flower:
Names I love but will not use now: Ruby, Lilly, Grace...
Other much used names - I agree with the 'aden' bit on boys names. Very pretty but think Rose, Grace and Mae seem to becoming popular as a middle name in the UK at least (from this site I gather that). A too popular middle name does not bother me the way a first name does.
Hmm Ella, Bella, Emma, Lexie (Alexa), seem to be much used.

I don't think you can get 'over used' names. I honestly believe that names should be picked based on what the parenst like and not whether the neighbours have used it already etc. I much prefer popular names than made up names, which annoy me.

I think it's a bit sad that people are not using names that they may have loved for years because they are scared someone might think it was from a movie or something. I honestly don't care what anyone thinks.

I also think it's silly that people are just making up random spellings of names so that they can be different. I think that if you like a name just bloody well use it and stop seeking approval from others for your own childs name.

I probably wouldn't use a name if someone who was a a friend had recently used it because I can't be arsed with the drama, although it wouldn't bother me if someone wanted to name their child a name that i had chosen. People can't have a monoploy on names.

I find that when you are pregnant, people are very eager to share their favourite names with you ad I reckon this is a sly ploy to try and alert you to the names that THEY would rather you didn't use lol

Thanks for all your thoughts girls. I agree that, if someone likes a name, stuff what everyone else thinks. I can see how a name might be unique now then come into fashion and I guess there's no way to avoid that, except by naming your child Spartacus or something similarly way out there :haha:

Think I might browse the BOTTOM 100 name lists and see if I get inspired.

Ps. I think "overused" might be the wrong word but I was trying not to use "common" because that has other meanings here in the uk which I thought might offend.

my little girl is 4 months old and untill the last week of my pragnancy we did not have a name for her as we could not agree on anythin then one day my hubby said to me what about ella i had heard it maybe once or twice before and we both fell in love with the name i never realised it was so popular xx

Im not sure that 'popular' names really bother me too much anymore (they used to), if you like a name and feel it suits your baby then i think thats all that matters :shrug:. We has Evie picked out for a girl since we found out I was pregnant with Frankie (back in 2004) and then it was pretty unheard of, when we eventually had our next baby girl (dec 2008) it had become quite popular and still seems to be now, but i dont care, i love her name :cloud9:. I really like the name Ella, and if itd gone with our surname then we'd probably of used it for Maddie, despite its popularity, its a beautiful name :flower:. xx

I also am not keen on really popular names, though many of them are popular as they are realy nice names. A lot of people are keen on popular names as they want a name that doesn't stand out from the crowd as they are worried about their child being picked on in school. Names which I would say are very popular (but I like) include:
Ava, Evie, Grace/Gracie, Ella, Georgia
Zack, Liam, Dylan

and ones starting to become more popular lately making me personally rule them out, despite liking them, when I was picking potential names earlier this year:
Dexter
Darcy

Popular names don't really bother me. It really bothers OH though!

I had no idea about the Aiden, Hayden, Cayden, Jayden craze when I named my son but to be honest even if I did I still would have called him Jayden because it suits him! He just looks like a Jayden!

The names being used alot around here are:

Girls - Ruby .. Specifically Ruby-Mae! I can't even count the number of Ruby-Mae's that have came along in the past year or so! Also Ella, Holly & Lily .. All the pretty girly names!

Boys - Jacob & Oliver .. Love both those names, OH would never go for it though!

I don't think I could use a common middle name, having the same first name I don't really mind, but exactly the same name is different! Like Rose, Grace & May/Mae .. They are pretty but I am fairly confident there would be another Eva Rose at school! Also the name with James for a boys middle name! Sounds good but there are loads about!

Aiden, Jacob, and Hannah and Abbie are names that are everywhere here it seems. I do think if a parent loves a name they should just use it. When I had my oldest dd I chose a name that is now popular and I know at least 6 girls at her school with her name but only one other in her grade. I named her Madison but we call her Madi.

I love Madison! :thumbup:

I am beginning to think, unless you give your child a ridiculous name, there will be loads of others with the same. Maybe certain names are used a lot because they are just so chuffin cute and perfect. :shrug:

I think it's virtually impossible to have a very unique name unless you come up with something completely out there -- but even then you never know!

Someone can name their baby something like "Bella" & then unexpectedly a few months later... or a year later... a movie like Twilight comes out & the name soars to #1! You can't really predict something like that? :shrug:

I named my son Jayden bc i thought it sounded so cute & "different" -- as in, "not traditional". At the time, i had no idea it was a popular name. I knew Aiden was extremely popular... and i knew of 2 Jayden's but no one i knew personally had used the name. Three years later, i still have never personally met another Jayden. So i think it depends on location, too.

Around here Jack, Ryan, Aiden, Mason, & Logan are very popular for boys... and Ava, Lily, Layla, Gianna, & Ella/Ellie are very popular for girls. I still LOVE all of these names tho -- and i'm still keeping Ava & Lily on my list! They are just too pretty!

As for middle names, i would say 80% of the people i know have used Mae, Grace, Rose, Elizabeth, Ann, or Marie for girls -- and James for boys....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->