Which names do you think are getting overused?

I didn't worry too much about how popular the names we chose were.

With our first son we chose Ally before we knew if we were having a boy or a girl because we found out at the scan he had died but they didn't tell us the sex at first. Ally hadn't been on our shortlist until then but it felt right for our baby when he was born and I don't think it's too high up on any list. We chose a family name, MacRae, as his middle name.

With Elisabeth Grace I just felt that this was my daughters name, we didn't chose it, it just seemed to come to us as the right name for her.

And Joseph is named after my Grandad and I liked the name Robert to go with it.

When my neice (age 15) was born there weren't many older Bethany's about but now there are lots in her class at school, same with Sophie's, Lauren's, Jade's, Paige's and Caitlyn's (and all the different spellings they come with).

My 13 year old nephew is Callum (pronounced Kay-Lum) but there are loads of Callum's (pronounced Cal-Um) in his class and lots of Sam's, Mark's and Thomas's.

My BiL and SiL seem to pick the most popular soap opera/TV drama name of the time for there children, they have a Kyle, Kane, Dylan and Lexie who can be traced right back to Footballers Wives, Home & Away, Neighbours and Emmerdale because they all had characters with those names in them at the time the babies were born.

We have two Lexie's in our family actually, my cousin had a girl three months after I had Joseph and called her Lexie.

And the popular names here at the moment all seem to be Lily-May, Ella May, Abbie, Violet, Jordan, Sonny, Rosie, Maisy and a stream of Jaydon/Kaydon/Caydon's.

Popular girls names here... Grace, poppy, ruby, middle name may, lexi, lily

popular boys names: alfie, archie, jack, Harrison, jayden, aiden

I don't know many people with babies so before I got pregnant I had no idea what was really 'on trend' at the minute and what was not and to start with, our list of babies names could have probably be copied name for name from the top 10 lists!

But as the weeks have gone by, our tastes have changed and the name we have now picked out for baby if it is a girl, I have not heard on anyone under the age of 70 :haha: although with the current trend for old lady chic names, I bet it won't be too long before I hear of a few others.

Our boys name, while not 'over used' is more heard of, but its a classic that was as popular 100 years ago as it is today and I should think it will still be popular in 100 years time.

i think if the parents love a name, regardless of spelling or popularity, then they should use it. i would never judge someone else's choice of a name, and i think a baby often grows to suit that name :D

Boys- Riley, Aiden, Jayden, Hayden, Corey, Luca, James

Girls- Ella, Megan, Evie, Ava, Isobel

No offence, I like some of these names. x

I think if you love a name, you should use it regardless of how popular it is. Although I do understand why people don't like to use the most popular names.
I've spent my whole life correcting people on the spelling of my first name (my parents chose to spell my name differently than it's usually spelled), and tbh, it's never bothered me. Although, that may be because I had a long and difficult last name that always had to be spelled, so it was no big deal to spell out my first name too...so I don't mind when people change the spelling of a name - to a point though. It's very easy to overdo it! I used to work with a girl who had a baby named Madison...but spelled it "Madysyn". And a friend of a friend had a boy named Jackson...spelled "Jaxxyn". A little too much for me!

i wanted Ella, Taylor or sienna oh wanted Gracie or Florence in the end we went with Lottie-mae because never heard of that in this area got speaking to a lady in local supermarket and had baby grandaughter with her guess what her name was??? yep you guessed it couldnt believe it and both babies were due on same day aswell how mad would that of been
the names popular round hear are jack alfie harry
grace-ie elle ruby maise issabelle-a bella

Iu agree, if you like it, use it although I wouldnt use a really popular name.

Names I think are popular...

Ava/Eva/Evie, Grace, Poppy/Daisy/Rose/lily, Ruby, Isobel/Bella/Isabella, Maddy

Jacob, Aidan, Jack, Alfie, Jayden

I hear of a lot of Avas, Laylas, Sophies, Jacks, Leahs, Rubys, Jessicas and Graces. I like all these names but just saying I think they might be popular ones as some of you have also mentioned them xxxx

Names that I think have got popular lately are Lily, Elsie, Laila, Kayden, Ruby. I can't think of nearly as many popular boys names. Maybe everyone I know has girls!

I teach reception class and they are 5 now and it is so obvious which names were popular then as we have so many children called Aiden, Harrison, Leah, Libby, Milly and especially Bailey. We have 5 Baileys!

I want to stay away from ultra popular names.

I like my name. It's a nice name. But if I often wished I'd been named differently as a child. My name was #1 most popular girl's name for, like, 8 years in the USA - Jennifer. I went to school with sometimes 2 other Jennifer's in my class with me. I was never just Jennifer; I was Jennifer "M". Or sometimes one girl would be Jen, another Jenny and the last Jennifer.

I wanted to avoid that with my first son. So I picked a name I liked but had only heard of on rare occasions and never locally: Landon. Little did I know that Landon was an up and coming new popular boys name. After he was born the baby next to him in the NICU was Landen - that should have been a sign. His daycare has 2 other Landon's, one of which is in his class. He is no longer Landon; he's Landon "A". Ugh.

With this baby I'm starting my baby name searches on the LEAST popular baby names list. Ultimately I'll pick something I like and popularity will be a small consideration. But if there's 50 names out there that I'll like I'm sure at least a couple will be "unique".

I'm a big fan of Disney and loved Bell from Beauty and the Beast. A couple of years ago Isabelle or Annabelle would have been a shoe in for a girl - I'd call her Bell. But the Bella craze has put me in a totally different mindset.

Aiden, Chase, Garret, Chandler, Gavin, Mason, Owen, Haley, Emma, Emily, Madison - all great names, but I'll leave them for someone else.

here is a link for top 100 baby names in 2009 in UK its interesting to look at as you can just tell the ones that will have moved up this year..

https://baby-talk.co.uk/baby-names/popular-names-england/

I personally dont mind a popular name its what you like at the end of the day

here is a link for top 100 baby names in 2009 in UK its interesting to look at as you can just tell the ones that will have moved up this year..

I agree its what you like that matters, two of my daughters first names are on that popular list, but 11 years ago my daughter Sofia's name was not popular at all, neither was Evie when we picked it back in 2004! Maybe im a bit of a trend setter :haha:. I do like indivuality, hence my children -Shani, Franklin and Sonny, but then Im not adverse to popular names, I love the names: Ruby, Ella, Lilly, Lola, Gracie for girls and Logan, Oliver, Alfie and Riley for boys all of which I believe are very popular at the mo, not that im going to have any more babies :dohh: but if I did the popularity of a name wouldnt bother me :shrug:. Although my son has 3 Matthew's and 3 Isabelle's in his class :wacko:, so maybe id steer clear of these names. xx

That's why I we called Diva, Ellouise....it's totally different :)

2016 remember we didn't have a name for ages....picking a name is so hard but it's so much easier when your lo is here :)

X

I ended up going with a popular name- in the hospital, we shared a room with another Emma- but imo, it is popular because it is gorgeous! And it suits her so well.

my eldest dd's name is no:58 and i called her that 10 years ago still in top 100 and my other dd's name isnt even though everyone says lottie is short for charlotte which it is i never named her that its lottie not in the top 100 but some of the other names i wanted are and are pretty high aswell i guessed most of them names would be in top 10 they are all lovely names but just so popular and they were 10 years ago aswell as my daughters friends all have them names

I agree its what you like that matters, two of my daughters first names are on that popular list, but 11 years ago my daughter Sofia's name was not popular at all, neither was Evie when we picked it back in 2004! Maybe im a bit of a trend setter :haha:. I do like indivuality, hence my children -Shani, Franklin and Sonny, but then Im not adverse to popular names, I love the names: Ruby, Ella, Lilly, Lola, Gracie for girls and Logan, Oliver, Alfie and Riley for boys all of which I believe are very popular at the mo, not that im going to have any more babies :dohh: but if I did the popularity of a name wouldnt bother me :shrug:. Although my son has 3 Matthew's and 3 Isabelle's in his class :wacko:, so maybe id steer clear of these names. xx

https://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/100ew2004.php

lol evie was no 34 in 2004 so still very popular! sophia was 85 in 1999 so diffrent spelling but still popular.

My bff has a little sister called Isabella and it was popular even before twilight lol. she was one of like three in her class even now! even ten yrs ago it was well in the top 100.

https://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/100ew2004.php

lol evie was no 34 in 2004 so still very popular! sophia was 85 in 1999 so diffrent spelling but still popular.

My bff has a little sister called Isabella and it was popular even before twilight lol. she was one of like three in her class even now! even ten yrs ago it was well in the top 100.

LOL, Im talking top 10-20 names, as you said, Evie was 34th in 2004! and in my area Id never heard of or met an Evie, now its 11th so is VERY popular now and there are now a fair few around my area, neither had I ever met or heard of a Sofia in my area, only Sophie's, now Sophia is 39th and Sofia is STILL 85th, so still not THAT popular. Like I said before though, its not really down to popularity, its the love of the name. Madeleine is becoming increasingly popular again, but that doesnt bother me in the slightest, I wouldnt care if it was the no.1 name, because shes named after my nan and I love the name. xx

I think its amazing jack has been number one boys name for so many years!!

I called my little boy Logan, I just fell in love with it the 1st time I heard it... I've heard it quite alot since then, but I don't mind, there's no one in our area with the same name which I love.

I'm thinking I like Sienna or Grayson for the next one...

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->