Why do so many people scoff at reusables!?

as someone that has only ever seen a CD in kiddiecare lol i can honestly say and no offence ment to anyone when my nan said to me about "terry toweling?" i thought she was cookoo there was no way i was pinning a cloth on my baby :dohh: now i no thats not the case lol I dont think theres anything wrong with CD's i just myself could not do it. I have a thing of Poo dont go in the washer so vests go in the bin ect :dohh: maybe one day that will change id love to use Cd's but i have to much of a thing about Poo currently...

But i have to say the Cd's look lovely and funky and i might give them ago for #2 if i can get over the whole poo thing :thumbup:

Other people simply don't want the fuss of doing anything other than throwing the dirty mess away. My DH was like that, but he is coming around. I think I might have him sold on the cloth diapers, I still have work to do on the reusuable wipes though. :)

Hehe I was a bit unsure about cloth wipes myself but I thought I may as well give them a go anyway. Let him try cleaning up a warm slimy poo with a thin disposable wipe and he might change his mind!!!

... Especially since I don't have to do the butt-origami to try and get a rectangle to fit around a baby!

butt origami- I love it :) Kijiji & eBay are a good plan :thumbup:

I love how people feel the need to push their opinions on others. :roll: Not you ladies, but the people out there who aren't going to be the ones changing the diapers or doing the laundry yet will STILL try and talk you out of it. Like wtf?

I have a friend who adores Claire but will NOT change a diaper if she's wearing cloth. No biggie, I do it myself. If people offer to change Claire thats fine... but I never expect it. Tell them that when they have their own kids they can diaper them however they see fit.

I try not to preach to people about my CDs, but there is a part of me that secretly feels superior when I see people at the grocery store buying bulk packages of disposables. :blush: Horrible, I know. If people ask, I will tell them but in the end you do what you want for your baby.

:) Glad to see you are on board with cloth! :wohoo:

Many people I know think re-usables are gross. They think they will smell like pee and have poo stains in them. They also think that we just have dirty diapers lying around. In reality, washing gets out smells and stains, and I keep my dirty diapers in a bucket next to the washer until we wash them.

i havent really had a bad experiance with other people, they all seem fasinated by all the colours and patterns aimee has lol

Ditto. You sometimes get a funny look when you say you use cloth but one glance and they are like, woooow :D

and dont smell

Soo true! Having used disposables for a couple of weeks, i had no idea how much they smelt until i started with cloth. Think it must be the same as smokers. You never know how bad you smell until you give up!

Honestly, im still using disposables while avas so little and i build up a stash of cloth, and honestly, even my mum and sister have held her and said, i think she has a dirty nappy and its only ever been a tiny bit wet.. it just stinks! its horrible.

You lot should have heard the comment one of my OHs friends pregnant wife said this morning when they popped round...she is 30 something weeks pregnant and a bit of a typical...bimbo....bleached hair, orange fake tan, 6 inch false nails, 6ft of makeup etc (I struggle to see her with a baby but I may be suprised!!) she sees some of my new nappies I have out for prewashing and goes "Oh, they are SO cute, where did you get them from" so I tell her and she says "So you dont throw them away? You WASH them? What sort of hippy shit is that??!!!" complete with wrinkled nose she tosses the nappy back on the coffee table....SO funny!!! Even her hubby was laughing at her, dont think she was impressed :)
Problem is you can tell she wants cloth nappies (particularly the Ittis and blueberrys!) because they are pretty but doesnt want to "deal" with poop....not sure its worth my time explaining to her that you dont actually have to TOUCH the poop.....LOL

ROFL, thats so funny!! No we throw them away :rof:

:rofl:

yeah, because we all have so much disposable income that we can afford to toss 8 $30 nappies away everyday! :haha:

When I was pregnant I had a few people scoff and say "Oh you wait and see! You'll change your mind!" I just shrugged it off. I think there was one person who was particularly rude to me so I replied something along the lines of "No I won't. I have principles." :rofl:

Since Jack arrived and people have actually seen what cloth nappies are like now I've had nothing but interested questions and cooing over them. I don't even use mega pretty ones, just BGs, but people are so impressed that cloth nappies can look and work much like 'sposies!

I've encountered a couple of people with kids of their own who just say they can't be doing with cloth, but don't have a problem with it or say anything negative about me using them. I just wish people didn't think it was somehow all this extra work. I hardly notice the one extra load of laundry every few days, whereas I am sure I would have noticed having to haul big packets back from the supermarket!

one of OH's friends who has a one yr old was incredibly negative just before Helen was born. So much so that i began to think we really wouldn;t cope with cloth. Luckily we'd already bought our starter pack (really good deal on e-bay) and OH is braver than me so we ignored him. we even took cloth nappies to hospital so helen has only ever worn 1 disposable. having a new baby is so much harder than i ever imagined, having said that an extra load of washing every day (need to get a few more nappies) is really the least of my worries. can't believe i was nearly put off by someone who hadn't even tried it.:dohh:

I sometimes get the impression from people who are really negative about cloth that they feel a bit guilty about using disposables. It seems like they're trying extra hard to justify why they don't use them (eg they're such hard work/unhygenic/not really better for the environment etc) because they really do think it's a better option, they just can't be bothered. I'm not saying everyone is like that, just a few I've met.

I agree Rachel. It's human nature to get defensive about their choices if they themselves are not totally happy about them.

I will admit, I was negative about cloth at first. In reality, it was my OH that wanted to use cloth, not me! I was totally, 100% grossed out by the thought of having to clean baby poop off of diapers. :blush:

I fought tooth and nail, and we compromised on gDiapers. Those were freaking expensive, so we went to disposables for a time, then I started to wonder about the cost and we switched to cloth (bumgenius). Funny enough, the tables have turned and how he HATES cleaning poopy diapers and gets frustrated when she poops in cloth ( :roll: ) and I'm the one who is all pro-cloth.

But when I was against it, it had nothing to do with guilt, tbh. I just didn't want to have to deal with yucky baby poop on my hands. :shrug: :)

Nobody has actually said anything to me but I tend to get "the evil look
of death"! off various people if I mention it in conversation lol

My OH mother hasn't been very pleased about my choices regarding CDing or babywearing (the babywearing issue might stem from when I tried to put Cassidy in my sisters peanut shell baby sling and she ended up upside down *eek*) but she has no reason to be narky about Cloth, she's even admitted to using them on her eldest son!

Its like evolution, many people think disposables are the norm and cloth diapering went out with the dinosaurs when in reality they have evolved into something much more beautiful and are continuing to change and get better, disposable will always be bland, boring and smelly!
I'm only part time at the moment and yeah we get leaks from time to time but we get more leaks from the disposables and the stench in the morning makes me gag!

Love and kisses to you all x

I'm happy to be making the transition to CDing and can't wait until we have enough to be full time, my only regret?? Not knowing about CDing sooner, would have loved to have done this for my boys too!!

Oh and for anyone wondering the love and kisses?? Supposed to be at the bottom, darned phone lol

But when I was against it, it had nothing to do with guilt, tbh. I just didn't want to have to deal with yucky baby poop on my hands. :shrug: :)

:rofl: What made you think you would have to get poo on your hands?!

From washing out the diaper! This was before I knew of disposable liners. I was like no freaking way in HELL am I going to rinse poop off a diaper. Again, the irony is that now I don't mind doing it if I have to (although I won't volunteer, iykwim) and my OH is the one who is all "AWWW GROOOOOOSSSSSSS!!!!" if he has to change a poopy cloth diaper.

I can't really understand the smell factor. My bins get emptied every week but most people have to wait two weeks... now that would smell! With cloth, surely you're washing every few days so there's less time for smell?

I must say every day I'm edging more and more towards cloth... or at least using both at first.

I'm a first timer though so still a little confused about them all. My mum used terries with me and is quite impressed at how much more choice there is now. I'm quite excited about having a stash of fluff! :)

Jo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->