why do some people say brought instead of bought?

Really? I always thought names ending in s you only use '. Learn something new everyday :)

Mum22gttc-I'm not sure what you mean by the whole "been" "being"?

So did I until I did my Probation Officer training and when writing reports on people my assessor pulled me up on it! It is commonly accepted that you can just put ' at the end of names ending in S, but it is not grammatically correct. :shrug:

TBH life is too short, we all make grammatical errors but this thread is rather funny!

Really? I always thought names ending in s you only use '. Learn something new everyday :)

People will say something like (crap example, but still....) "My DD is been so naughty today" rather than 'being'.

I've seen the same said for 'seeing' & 'seen' too, i.e. "Seen as it's raining today I'll have a duvet day" rather than "Seeing as it's raining today I'll have a duvet day"

Ahhh I see. I think I might stick to thing. I like the sound of it better.

People will say something like (crap example, but still....) "My DD is been so naughty today" rather than 'being'.

I've seen the same said for 'seeing' & 'seen' too, i.e. "Seen as it's raining today I'll have a duvet day" rather than "Seeing as it's raining today I'll have a duvet day"

Oh I understand now. I'm afraid I use been instead of being but always use seeing not seen :)

Oh and sorry, when people say, 'another thing coming' when it is 'another think coming'

Eh!! I say "you've got another thing coming". Is it meant to be "think"????

Most people do.

'Verb
to have another think coming (third-person singular simple present has another think coming, present participle having another think coming, simple past and past participle had another think coming)
To be deluded, to be mistaken; to need to rethink something one has determined; to need to reconsider one's plans or expectations.
If you think you're going to marry my daughter, you have another think coming.'

This thread is rather educational for me! I think I sometimes lazily say, 'seen as you...' instead of seeing but always mean seeing if that makes sense?!

Oh and sorry, when people say, 'another thing coming' when it is 'another think coming'

Eh!! I say "you've got another thing coming". Is it meant to be "think"????

Most people do.

'Verb
to have another think coming (third-person singular simple present has another think coming, present participle having another think coming, simple past and past participle had another think coming)
To be deluded, to be mistaken; to need to rethink something one has determined; to need to reconsider one's plans or expectations.
If you think you're going to marry my daughter, you have another think coming.'

Ah, I get it, I would never have known that! :thumbup: My Mum used to say all the time "If you think you're doing that, you've got another thing coming" - so she's been wrong all these years :haha::haha:

Im really enjoying this thread :)

I've noticed I say lol a lot and I sometimes wonder if it's annoying people.

I realise that another think coming is actually correct but it still doesn't make sense surely the correct way to say it would be another thought coming because you don't have a think you have a thought. I don't know maybe it's because I've used another thing coming all these years but it just doesn't seem right to me x

It wouldn't annoy me. I do sometimes wonder how often someone is laughing out loud really when they write it though!!

It wouldn't annoy me. I do sometimes wonder how often someone is laughing out loud really when they write it though!!

I only write it if I giggle to myself. It annoys me when people say lol instead of laughing x

I realise that another think coming is actually correct but it still doesn't make sense surely the correct way to say it would be another thought coming because you don't have a think you have a thought. I don't know maybe it's because I've used another thing coming all these years but it just doesn't seem right to me x

I know, it's so weird some of our sayings :shrug:

Yeah most the time I'm not laughing out loud but I either giggle to myself or I find it amusing.

There's quite a few people viewing this thread. Do you think they are waiting for it to turn nasty? Lol I was expecting it too, but I hope if doesn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->