Will you be screening for congenital disorders?

lauren10

1 DD, 1 angel & pregnant!
Reaction score
I had early screening offerred to me because I'll be 35 when I deliver, but I'm not sure it's something I want to do. I know of people that had false positives, so why worry for no reason? And if they do find something, I'm sure we wouldn't choose to terminate.

On the other hand, I'll get a couple extra ultrasounds which would be cool...but I'd have to stop there even if I find out there's a possibility of a disorder. (Because I wouldn't want to risk an amnio for that reason)

What decisions have you made about this?

For both my pregnancies i have decided not to get it because if it came back i was high risk i wouldn't do anything about it so i don't see the point in worrying for months about something that might never be if you know what i mean :) xx

For both my pregnancies i have decided not to get it because if it came back i was high risk i wouldn't do anything about it so i don't see the point in worrying for months about something that might never be if you know what i mean :) xx

Completely agree and there are false positves which can worry you unnececarrily

I think that if you would go ahead with the pregnancy even if an abnormality was detected, then there is no point in getting tested.
If you would choose to terminate, then by all means get tested.

It's yet another one of those horrible things that you have to just decide for yourself.
I am 35 as well and I am pleased that the nuchal translucency was within the normal range at my 12-week scan because I honestly don't know what I would have chosen to do if they told me there was a risk. I really feel for those Mums who have to make that decision, there's no 'easy' option.

im not 35 but in canada at any age our blood gets tested for down's and spinal bifia i donno what they do to find out but if its postive or higher then they get you to do the amnio i dont think i would do it im not someone who could abort it i would love it no matter what

im not 35 but in canada at any age our blood gets tested for down's and spinal bifia i donno what they do to find out but if its postive or higher then they get you to do the amnio i dont think i would do it im not someone who could abort it i would love it no matter what

In New Brunswick you can only get early testing (at 11-13 weeks) if you're >35 on your due date.

The one reason I would want to do it is that if they don't find anything wrong and I'd feel that much more relieved...but I agree with you all that I don't want to know if something is wrong since I wouldn't terminate anyway.

Thanks for your feedback!

Nope...nothing..I did on the ultrasound have them really check the hearts because two of my nephews have holes in their hearts...Nothing beyond that though...

im 35 and also worried in a way,bf is 45.I really dont know what to do at my 1st appointment which is next week and il be 8+3.had my last daughter in june 2006.So dont know if il be offered extra tests or more care.
xx

I'm 36 and I had it done. I'd rather know in advance if there was potential for a problem.

If you are positive that you would not terminate if you got a bad result then i wouldnt be doing it. But I chose to have it done and i just had it on Monday and was very relieved that my chances of anything being wrong were only 1 in 15,812.

But im the type of person that thinks "well someone has to be that 1 though dont they". Im a worrier :rofl:

I'm getting the scan and bloodwork done but am still undecided on whether I'd get an amnio done. My mw assured me that if I did come up as high risk and an amnio was recommended that the hospital it's done at here in Toronto has a less than 1% miscarriage rate. Depending on what the issue is I don't think I'd choose to terminate...for sure I wouldn't if it was Down's. There's a few other things that likely the baby wouldn't survive anyhow like Edward's disease and stuff (I can't remember right now what the mw told me) so for those maybe I would. It's a tough call and one I'm not prepared emotionally to make so here's hoping my nuchal scan goes well in January.

I didnt have them, anyones offered them here, i chose not to bother as i knew i definitely wouldnt terminate but some think its good to get the tests just so they know and can prepare. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->