William's Father Christmas visit update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilicat

Mother of two boys
Reaction score
I promised an update when William saw Father Christmas this year and now I have an update to give.

For those who don't know in another thread (I can't actually remember which one!) I mentioned the Father Christmas we visit every year at the library. William is autistic with global developmental delay and severe speech and language delay so he isn't the easiest child to do a Father Christmas visit with.

On the first year we went to see Father Christmas William was non verbal, he wouldn't look at him or even seem to notice he was there. He just loved the fairy lights.

Father Christmas got the lights down from the top of the grotto to show William and sat on the floor with him to interact with him. He even used Makaton to help William understand.

From then on William loved him, that Father Christmas and only that Father Christmas. When he sees him he vibrates with excitement and can't stop smiling. He doesn't want a present or even really understand the concept he just wants to sit next to Father Christmas.

This year was no different, he was so excited when he went in. Waiting his turn was a bit of a challenge and he tried to crawl under some library bookshelves to get in quicker :blush:

Father Christmas remembered him from last year and made a huge fuss of him, William was just so delighted.

The other great part wasn't even with William but with Thomas. Thomas is scared of strangers, really scared. He gets upset and doesn't calm down for ages, nothing will appease him. I thought we would get a crying picture of him with Father Christmas then he would have to be taken out.

We went in and he predictably started crying but with a small milky bar bribe he calmed down and decided he really liked Father Christmas and like his brother he liked trying to take down the fairy lights.

I have never seen him do that, he doesn't do strangers and once he freaks out it just gets worse till you take him out of the situation no matter what you offer him.

Sometimes I think our library Father Christmas might be the real thing. He is certainly the real spirit of Christmas and a wonderful person.

Resize 1.jpg

Resize 2.jpg

Awes amazing, sounds to me like your library have hired the real deal:thumbup: what a wanderful experience:hugs:

That's so great! My LO is really terrified of Santa… well at least when he's sitting on his lap. I wish there was time to have him sit and talk to Santa like that, but around here there's always a long wait and I'm afraid we'll be rushed so I just sit LO with him and hope for the best and it always fails. The Easter Bunny however was like THE best thing EVER.

Great pictures, glad it went so well. :)

I want to meet this Santa, truly wonderful

He is a great person, he really seems to enjoy his role and all the children love him. He takes so much time with every child and really focuses on them.

That's so great! My LO is really terrified of Santa… well at least when he's sitting on his lap. I wish there was time to have him sit and talk to Santa like that, but around here there's always a long wait and I'm afraid we'll be rushed so I just sit LO with him and hope for the best and it always fails. The Easter Bunny however was like THE best thing EVER.

Would you be able to sit next to Father Christmas and have your son on your lap? That might help. It might be worth looking at Father Christmas' at libraries, Children's Centres or Christmas fetes where they are more likely to be a volunteer doing it because they enjoy it rather than one at a more 'proper' grotto like the ones set up in shopping centres or Christmas themed attractions. I think those ones get bigger crowds so there is a lot more focus on keeping the line moving and being quite quick with children.

It is good the Easter Bunny was a success though, that is excellent! I have the funniest picture of William meeting the Easter Bunny as a toddler and he just looks so confused.

He sounds like an amazing father christmas! Im touched that your DS was more interested in seeing santa and the lights and not a gift... reinforces the true christmas spirit. Have a lovely christmas with your boys x

Brilliant! He sounds fab and your pics are gorgeous!x

Thank you for all the lovely replies. Everyone is so nice in the Christmas section :hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"