Wooden train set

krissie328

Reaction score
My son is determined he wants a wooden train set. So two questions...

Do I need to get a train table to go along with it? We could find the space but it would mean either getting rid of furniture in his room or the Livingroom.

And does anyone have any recommendations on a good set? He will be 3.5 at Christmas so I want to get him something he'll enjoy for a long time.

We've got a huge amount of wooden railway stuff collected over the years. I think dd's first set was the Tesco carousel one, which was great value for money! Its also interchangable with brio, Thomas wooden railway, etc. Over the years I picked extra bits up at charity shops and car boot sales.

We never bothered with a train table. I didn't particularly want one taking up space all the time, but DD also liked to build huge sets spread out across the floor!

We've never had a train table either we just play on our floor. We were given our original tracks as a present from ikea which was really cheap and we've also just added to it over the years from various shops

I wouldnt bother with a train table. It takes up huge space and really limits what you can build. My lo loves building huge elaborate train set ups. We got lo a Melissa & Doug set. It was half price on Debenhams and has been fab. We have added lots of different brands to it and never had an issue. Ive heard great things about Ikea and Tescos if you dont want to spend lots.

Thanks so much ladies!! I have really been feeling like the train table would take up so much space. As much as DS likes to build I think him being able to do it himself would really add to the appeal.

I found a Melissa and Doug set I loved. I also found some by Hape but they are a little spendy. I am hoping when I go to the city with my mom in October I can find something he will love.

We set ours up on the floor. We got ours from smyths, can't remember the brand but it's been durable, easy to fit together and was reasonably priced.

I also works with the trains from other wooden sets, I know we have trains from tesco and I think sainsbury's and they fit.

Train tables look good but take up sooo much room. We started our girls off with the cheap IKEA set and then added bits to it (brio, bigjigs all fit but some are a little stiff). They love it and set it up so it runs through both rooms (I'm always tripping up over it). We store it in a big fabric storage box.

I talked with dh and we agreed not to get a table. I'm pretty happy with this as I think ds will be more creative and be able to move about more.

My mom decided to buy the set so now I just need to pick it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->