Work and Maternity leave

LouOscar01

Reaction score
I know this is a crazy thing to be worried about already....but I have just trained as a teacher in a school last year. This year they have employed me on a permanent contract ( the other two new teachers are only on temporary). I'm only 23 and no one at school has any idea that I am planning on getting pregnant. I'm not even married yet!! (May2014). There are lots of women who they expect to get pregnant....I'm not one of them. So I'm already worrying about how to tell them and how they will take it....

I expect they will be very shocked and will pretend to be happy for me. Feel bad for letting them down....(I do intend to go back....but if possible only part time).

Are my worries ridiculous? Should I be feeling guilty?! Anyone else had any negative reactions to a pregnancy reveal at work?

Aww hun, your worrying over nothing... of course they will be happy for you and it wont be fake, they go through this all the time and you'll be back... I see from your ticker your not planning to TTC start away so you will be there 8 months then your throughout your pregnancy so its not like your there only a few months if i make sense... Dont worry yourself... and do not feel guilty...

x

Ahh thanks. :) I don't want it to be something that I stress over! I hate secrets and would want to get it out in the open as soon as possible. Which is important in a school because of all the illnesses that fly around that I'd need to avoid (scarlet fever and chicken pox!)

Any others you can think of?

Chicken Pox was the main one I thought about! Im rubbish at illness'!

Yeah dont stress over it, you'll be fine when the time comes x

I work in a school too and my school were so supportive of my pregnancy and have allowed me to go back part time - 3 days a week. I was quite surprised that they let me chose which days I wanted (Tue/Wed/Thur) as I thought I would probably need to be flexible around them. I agree with MummyJade, don't worry and stress over it, I'm sure they will be great, plus you've got a good few months until you would go on maternity leave which gives them plenty of time to get cover/supply.

The only one thing I had to get checked out when I was pregnant with Daniel was parvovirus as I had taught a child who developed it that day :( Fortunately a quick blood test at the drs showed I had antibodies for it so it was fine. Be prepared for cold after cold though! And it sucks that you can't take anything for it - no lemsip/beechams etc :( I was pregnant all over the winter and it felt like every child I came into contact with had a snotty nose and I picked up every germ going!!

Thanks guys. I am not looking forward to being on my feet all day and getting all their viruses that's for sure!!!

For the colds when you can't take lemsip. try heating up a mug of lemonade, a teaspoon of honey, and a squeeze (or 5 if you're anything like me). for the headaches....I'm not sure whats available that's pregnancy friendly, but I like to add a disprin to the drink. I fink it works just as well as lemsip, ans if you leave out the disprin, then there is no limit to how many you can drink in a 24 hour period.

I worry about this too. To avoid giving my colleagues a hard time when I'm on maternity leave, it would be best to give birth in June (which means to conceive in October next year). But I agreed with DH that we can start trying in July and as I will be 32 by that time, I really don't want to waste any more time by waiting three more months until October.

No don't wait till October! Chances are you won't fall pregnant first month anyway, and then you've just wasted lots of months of trying for no good reason!!

I was nervous about announcing my pregnancy at work but they were all really supportive. I then had a second nervous attack when I told them I wouldn't be coming back. Didn't help that there were 3 of us pregnant at the same time and after I left another 2 got pregnant.

I always over think stuff and the idea of telling my boss does make me cringe when I think about it, but in reality it's not a big deal to them. They're just doing their job and dealing with employees in pregnancy is just another part of the job. I don't think they will react other than congratulate you and go through all the administrative side of it all.

I worry a little I will be trying from Oct or when cycle returns after that but I don't start my new job until Nov or Dec so if I'm very very lucky (which I'm not expecting to be) I will be pregnant before I even start, can u imagine on my first day doing induction going 'oh yeah by the way I sort of have some news....I'm pregnant and u have to pay for my mat leave and yeah u have to adapt my role to fit the pregnancy, oh and Il he having 9 months off in 6 months, soz about that' sure it will go down a storm, however once I have that unconditional job offer they cannot do squat about it, I wud have tried to conceive October new job or not so I don't see why I should change my plans for them, would the owner of the company consider me before making a big decision? Highly unlikely I'm just another employee number to them so why should my life be put on hold for them.

I realise I accidentally went off on a bit of a rant there but it makes me sad seeing women worrying about having children because of their work, its unfair ppl shud have to chose between having a family or having money....completely wrong xxx

Ah, itsnowmyturn, that won't be fun!! I kind of feel like that because my school trained me as a teacher and I've only just started there in September and I will only have been teaching there for just over a year (hopefully) when I go on mat leave!! Ahhhhh scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->