Working out mommas-to-be!

I feel the same when I look at your ticker mrs. Eddie! I keep bouncing back and forth on feeling like its so close/ so far away for myself though. I'm so big that strangers keep asking me, "how much longer?" With that knowing smile. I reply 14 weeks and they look confused and grossed out. I feel so big already. I'm hoping I'm an early grower and won't get much larger.
I'm also so tired/brain dead these days. I burned dinner again tonight. This is my new thing. I try to do something else, like dishes, and I totally space on the food. Oy! At least I've gotten to the gym three times this week.

I guess that's one way to look at it 2have4kids :rofl: ; it was some older woman who has never had children who made the comment. It really irritates me that women seem to make these comments re weight gain, etc. Like really; you think you might be a bit more sensitive. :growlmad:

Sass you do not look huge at all, as we just established people are just stupid. :haha: I haven't gotten to the super spacey stage yet but was totally like that with my daughter. Good for you for getting to the gym this week.

Aliop, I feel the same, eating better and exercising tends to keep me more motivated. Tracking calories has really helped too!

So I'm feeling very nervous about this diastis recti stuff. Outside of the hiit blog, I haven't been able to find any good info about prevention. I asked a trainer at my gym but he wasn't familiar with it.
I'm worried many of my workout machines will put me at risk but I'm also worried not using them will leave me lacking in core strength. I really like this low impact back extension machine and the oblique machine. What do you girls think about them? Have you found any good info? I've even read planks can feel bad for you, but I thought Rebecca did them a lot- did you have any problems with separation?

Maybe ask your doctor Sass??? I know that my workout DVD has ab exercises that are safe for pregnant women as long as you don't have diastasis recti already; which I don't to my knowledge. The instructor states that they are safe because you never lying on your back. The idea is that you want to keep your core somewhat strengthened so it bounces back more quickly after birth. I'm sure if you asked your doctor they could let you know.

I would think oblique exercises would be fine as I believe diastasis recti is a splitting of the front of the abdominals. We do modified planks all the time in yoga (on our knees) so I can't imagine that they would be too bad for you. You just make sure that you keep your lower back engaged and "stand" with your arms (not sure how to describe this better but I can try if I've totally confused you :haha:)

So I'm feeling very nervous about this diastis recti stuff. Outside of the hiit blog, I haven't been able to find any good info about prevention. I asked a trainer at my gym but he wasn't familiar with it.
I'm worried many of my workout machines will put me at risk but I'm also worried not using them will leave me lacking in core strength. I really like this low impact back extension machine and the oblique machine. What do you girls think about them? Have you found any good info? I've even read planks can feel bad for you, but I thought Rebecca did them a lot- did you have any problems with separation?

Hi Sass, it's a really valid concern. I'm still doing pilates once/week and do all of the exercises, good or bad for diastasis recti. But I posted another thread on it, I think it's a fairly unknown condition that occurs with pregnancy as I didn't get much response from the girls on b&b:
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...ter/2310397-diastasis-recti-gets-get-rid.html

https://www.dailyhiit.com/hiit-blog...ercises-you-are-doing-helping-or-hurting-you/

https://www.pelvicpainrehab.com/pelvic-floor-physical-therapy/2306/fix-diastasis-recti/

"30-40% of all pregnancies will result in a diastasis. In pregnant women, a diastasis is formed as your growing uterus pushes against your abdominal wall, aka your ‘6-pack’. If your lower abdominals, or your transverse abdominals, are not strong enough to support the growing uterus and pushing on your rectus muscles, your ‘6 pack’ becomes two 3 packs. Your linea alba (connective tissue NOT muscle), will be stretched sideways, and will become the support system for your organs. With your organs now pushing thru this connective tissue, you will look pregnant. The naval is a weak spot in the abdominals and will often be where you will see and feel this separation, and see what is known as a ‘mummy tummy‘."

I practice kegels and pulling the undercarriage upwards when I'm sitting in my chair at work. It's meant to help prevent leaking, diastiasis recti and fallen bladders after labour (which happened to 2 of my gf's). But it is only a small percentage of women that actually end up with this condition so maybe you won't get it?

^^ good point re the kegels and related exercises. Having a strong pelvic floor would also help I would imagine. I've been pretty good about kegels but not as good I was last time (have to remedy that starting today).

Omg I have been TERRIBLE with kegels this pregnancy! I don't do them at all! I need to start asap!

Omg I have been TERRIBLE with kegels this pregnancy! I don't do them at all! I need to start asap!

That was me, and then I got a cold and cough a few weeks ago. Realized I needed to get on them! Lol, I even downloaded an app (there's a few available!) so I have a set reminder everyday :)

Yeah I did them religiously with Isla and had a really good experience with everything down there during the birth (no tearing, etc) so I really should be doing them more often again. A good resolution for third tri :haha:

I think I have totally spaced on them too! Oh no. Going to have to start randomly kegel bumping this thread. And maybe other threads too. ;)

I think I have totally spaced on them too! Oh no. Going to have to start randomly kegel bumping this thread. And maybe other threads too. ;)

Kegel bumping :rofl: I LOVE it!!!

I have been doing them more often since we talked about them last week...

Thanks for the bump, now doing them as I sit here in my office. Girls I felt kicks for the first time last night! It felt like everyone said, sort of gas bubbles before bed but I put my hand on the baby and that was no gas! That was some pretty crazy movement down there:haha:

I've been feeling less dizzy and better now that I'm back into my workout classes at noon. Went to core yoga yesterday and will do kick boxing today. I'll see if I have enough energy for pilates tomorrow AND HIIT thursday. I missed last thursday's yoga & hiit but things are feeling better:bunny:

How's everyone else doing?
This little article popped into my fb this morning:
10 Rules Fit People Live By
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015...0.html?1432571181=&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

2Have4kids, can you exercise for me? haha

I've been on this huge nesting kick for the past 2 weeks. I've been getting a good workout just from cleaning & scrubbing the apartment! Definitely getting exhausted quicker, now.

Going for a walk tonight when the hubby comes home from work. I plan on going to the gym this weekend to get on the elliptical for 20 mins and do an arm workout with the free weights.

Greats you're allowed to feel more tired lol, I'd trade you for some cleaning services and I'll work out for you in exchange? :hangwashing::iron::laundry::dishes:

Very impressive workout schedule 2have4kids! Sounds like you have a really good routine going :thumbup:

I've been pretty good re food and exercise for the most part (last weekend we had two birthday parties so food was not great on Saturday :blush:). I am pleased with my weight gain so far this pregnancy. I am thinking I can make 30 lbs gained in total, which I think would be reasonable.

Greats, cleaning can definitely be a good work out. I haven't been nesting as much as I like but I have been a clean freak for the entire pregnancy, (I'm always a bit of a neat freak so I think I've been driving my DH crazy...)

2have4kids, sounds good to me haha

Eddie, my husband calls me crazy for cleaning so much but I can't help it! Lol

2have4kids, sounds good to me haha

Eddie, my husband calls me crazy for cleaning so much but I can't help it! Lol

I hear you, you can't stop those pregnancy nesting urges, no point in fighting them. At least we have clean houses :haha:

Hey everyone! I wanted to jump in here since I am determined to stay fit this time around!! I read the last few pages on here to get up to speed and yes, kegels! I was awful about remembering to do those with my last pregnancy. I like the app suggestion! I need reminders pretty much in my face at all times. I seriously don't know what I would I would do at this point without a smartphone to remind me to do things!! :D

I have slacked off a lot over the past few days on my workouts. I'm currently doing the 21 day fix. I was two weeks into my 4th consistent round (not back to back) when I found out that I was pregnant. I've been pretty beat the past few days since I'm not sleeping well with DH being out of town. So, I have not worked out over the past three days. It's crazy because when he's here, I am dead to the world once my head hits that pillow but when he's gone, I wake up to the lightest sounds. It is very annoying and makes for a very cranky Brittany. Anywhooooo... I'm hoping to get back on track tomorrow. Doing a workout first thing in the morning, then juicing and walking my dogs. :)

Hi Britt! I keep hearing about this 21 day fix thing, can you explain it? It might be something I can try after this baby arrives!

Hi Britt, welcome & congrats. I too would like to know what the 21 day fix is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->