• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Working out mommas-to-be!

2have4kids- Good luck talking to your instructor. I hope she's understanding! :) I have found all of my instructors to be excellent--even the ones who have never been pregnant. They have at least researched it and use what knowledge they have to help me.

Mrs. Eddie- Those are some great walks you have taken!

babyvaughn- Being aware of what you're eating is good. I think incorporating your class will help too. You might find it feels so good you'll want to go back more often. That's how it worked for me. I wish I could tell the world how much better exercise makes your body feel during pregnancy.

I have been eating to much junk I had only gained 3lbs up until about 18 weeks then I started eating a lot lol. I've now gained 12lbs at 22 weeks which isn't horrible but if I don't straighten up and eat healthier I know the unnecessary weight with stack on. I'm going to start water aerobics once a day for an hour hoping that and only having some junk food a few times a week will keep me in the healthy range! I'm freaked out about getting GD from what I have been eating! First time prego so I'm learning as I go lol

I think the fact that you have recognized this now and want to change your current habits is awesome. 12lbs at 22 weeks is not bad at all either; I'm sure you'll end your pregnancy at a healthy weight, especially with the classes you are planning on taking.

I'm trying to let myself eat a small amount of junk food once or twice a week too, so far it's been going OK.

Finally nice weather today! Got out for two walks. Really hoping this is the beginning of spring.

That's awesome Sass! I have really been enjoying the weather we're having too, feeling much more energized for the rest of the day at work after walking. :thumbup: I think ours is supposed to continue through next week, hopefully yours will stick around as well.

Beautiful workout clothes on zulily today. Just grabbed some for myself.
Also, all this walking must be paying off: I got on the leg press and it just felt so light. I would do ten reps then up the weight because it just wasn't a challenge. I finally stopped at 140 lbs. not because it was hard but because I was worried it was an unsafe amount for a pregnant person?
Either way, really surprised and pleased!

Sass that's great, always feels good to feel progress. The weather is gorgeous here right now too. All of our skiers are really not having a great season in the Rockies this year. This is the first year I didn't buy a pass (and thankfully so).

I had my first prenatal yesterday and I was shocked at my doctor. She asked about my fitness and I told her about my 1 hr classes at work and she kind of laid into me saying hat if we work out too much the baby can perceive this as stress. Isn't it if you over exert yourself or go for long lengths of time it can become too much? As soon as we warm up we only have about 20 min of the workout before we're cooling off, it seems so short and sweet? I know she's concerned about me but if I were going to the gym I'd be doing twice the work as my little noon hour fit classes. I was disappointed, I want to be in some sort of shape for delivery and avoid horrendous weight gain. I think she's over reacting. My BMI is approaching the upper limits of the healthy zone, I'm not by far a tiny person (5'9 and 167).:wacko::growlmad:

Sass that's great, always feels good to feel progress. The weather is gorgeous here right now too. All of our skiers are really not having a great season in the Rockies this year. This is the first year I didn't buy a pass (and thankfully so).

I had my first prenatal yesterday and I was shocked at my doctor. She asked about my fitness and I told her about my 1 hr classes at work and she kind of laid into me saying hat if we work out too much the baby can perceive this as stress. Isn't it if you over exert yourself or go for long lengths of time it can become too much? As soon as we warm up we only have about 20 min of the workout before we're cooling off, it seems so short and sweet? I know she's concerned about me but if I were going to the gym I'd be doing twice the work as my little noon hour fit classes. I was disappointed, I want to be in some sort of shape for delivery and avoid horrendous weight gain. I think she's over reacting. My BMI is approaching the upper limits of the healthy zone, I'm not by far a tiny person (5'9 and 167).:wacko::growlmad:

I agree. She is overreacting. I'd try to ignore it and also possibly see if you can find another doctor who will be more supportive of your exercise routine. I have been told by numerous doctors that exercise is great for the baby, and I have not been holding back in what I do. I have met 2 other women who ran a half-marathon and a marathon while pregnant. So, I don't think it's that big of a deal to do a little 30-60 minute workout. One doctor even told me that the amount of oxygen that the baby needs is so minimal that the oxygen supply to the baby cannot be cut off unless I severely over-exert myself for an hour or more. And by then, your body is telling you that you are doing too much. Your body will tell you when you are working too hard. Just listen to your body and keep at it.

I just found this in my fb feed today...very inspiring:
https://www.facebook.com/BodyRock.Tv...78446002182302

Build more muscle/get ready for delivery girls!

I posted this somewhere else too and there were problems linking to it. Sadly I can't seem to find the same article on the website but when you put in pregnancy or prenatal into the bodyrocktv.com search bar loads of inspiring articles, bios and free mini-workouts pop up:
https://www.bodyrock.tv/?s=Pregnancy

I agree with Rebecca, my midwives have always encouraged me to exercise. As long as you're not undertaking any new really strenuous activity (i.e you never worked out a day in your life and decided to start training for a triathlon while pregnant) then honestly you should be totally fine. The benefits of exercise for both you and baby are very important.

I also used to think of labour as something I was training for, getting myself back into that mentality now.

Was away this weekend and did not do great with eating, back on track this week. Also, managed to do my yoga workout last night, 1 hour walk today and pregnancy work out tonight :thumbup:

2Have4Kids- Thanks for the links! The FB one didn't work for me, but the other one did. It's good to have extra resources.

I also think of labor as something I'm training for. When I'm not in the mood to exercise, I tell myself that I have to be ready to have a baby soon and must be in good shape.

I've also discovered that working on my core has really helped me a lot this time. Planks have helped as well as building strength in my back. It makes carrying around the extra weight feel much easier than last time. It's so crazy to be in the minority as far as pregnancy goes because so many pregnant women do not exercise. And I just want to tell people how great it is and it truly makes a HUGE difference. But sometimes I feel like it sounds like I'm bragging or something. I'm not, though, I just feel so great and I want other people to feel as great as I do and not be so miserable at the end of pregnancy.

^^ totally agree with this Rebecca. One of my best friends is also pregnant (due at the end of May) and does not exercise at all. She is constantly exhausted and dragging herself around chasing after her almost two year old. She refuses to exercise when pregnant so I try not to force my opinions on her, I just wish she could realize how much better she might feel if she did just a bit of exercise a day.

My other good friend and I (who is also pregnant now), both exercised regularly during our last pregnancy and both of us had much faster labours and quicker recovery than our friend above...

I think my doctors are pretty conservative and they told me to go workout too. They said all cardio and sweating is great. Just nothing that will make you fall or lose your balance. Swimming, walking, running ( if you're used to it) and anything you're used to fling is great. If not, ease into it and keep your BP under 140.
Afm, dd spiked a fever this morning so I missed my gym day for the week. Going to go out and walk her in my neighborhood in the stroller as much as I can. Thankful my neighborhood is very hilly for once.

Pushing a stroller can be good exercise too Sass, especially if you are pushing her up a bunch of hills. :thumbup:

I did water aerobics yesterday, it helped so much with my back pain! Today I'm going to go do a arm and leg workout!

Sass- I hope your daughter gets to feeling better soon! Sounds like pushing a stroller through your neighborhood is still a great workout! :)

Mrsvaughn- I'm glad to hear that your water aerobics helped your back! Exercise, I have found, alleviates so many pregnancy-related aches and pains. I hope your arm and leg workout goes well also!

MrsEddie- I really wish I could find a way to encourage more people. Everyone I know right now who is as far along as I am is ready to be done. While I do have some aches and pains (like baby's butt in my ribs) and having to use the bathroom a lot, I am not feeling ready to be done. I feel like I could keep on like this for another 4 weeks or so--not that I want to. I just don't feel completely miserable and over it. Sometimes, I wonder if that's a sign I will go over with this one! lol

I'm having so much fun at the gym now. People are betting on when the baby will come and if I will have some sort of labor sign while exercising. Overall, I get a ton of support from everyone there. It feels nice.
I've been doing my dance class 2 days a week. But I think I'm going to start doing it all 3 days that it's offered next week and up to whenever this baby arrives. It's so much more fun than the elliptical and still just as much of a workout.

Last week, I had to pee three times while at the gym for a little over an hour. How bad is that?! ;)

Haven't worked out for a week because I've been sick =/ Can't wait to get back to it this week!! Whew I never realized how much longer it takes to get over a sickness when you're pregnant.

Rebecca, I've always enjoyed classes when I'm at the gym. I find that you get a great workout and the time goes by much faster because you're doing something fun the whole time. Good for you for uping your dance class to three times a week! :thumbup:

Sass, I sometimes feel the same re the peeing. I've been drinking more water for the past few weeks and feel like I'm getting up every 30 minutes to go to the bathroom. Three times in one hour does seem pretty excessive though :haha:

DSemcho, sorry you've been sick. Hopefully you feel better soon.

Bad day yesterday re exercise. I had to go do IPS bloodwork yesterday so had no time to walk at work and then ended up going to bed early as I was tired so no workout either. Am going to make sure I do both a walk and a workout today. Food has been better this week again, hoping I can keep it up for the rest of the week!

It does take do long to recover from being sick! And make sure to really ease back in once you can go back. It's so exciting to be back you can easily push yourself too hard.
I'm so jealous you get in so many workouts Rebecca and mrs. Eddie. How do you do it? Do your older kids go with you? DD's fever broke yesterday early so we went to the gym for a little over an hour today. Did more weights than walking when I usually walk more than weights. Only peed twice so that was an improvement.

Sass- I am able to get in 6 days a week mainly because I'm not working right now. I'm staying home with my son. Plus, he is 3 and 1/2, so taking him with me is pretty easy. He goes with me pretty much every day--even most Saturdays. He was funny last Saturday because he didn't feel like going, so he stayed home with my husband. And when I got home, he asked me if anyone asked where he was! But, if I was working right now, I'd probably have a harder time making it to the gym as many days during the week. Going to my class helps me too because I really don't like missing my class.
I'm glad your daughter's fever broke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->