would you serve alcohol to a pregnant woman?

What about just doing what you're being paid to do and separating a personal opinion from a professional one?

I would serve a pregnant woman, its up to her what she does, and just because you refuse to serve her doesnt mean she's not going to drink or go get it elsewhere, it might not even be for her anyway, so really what is the actual point behind not serving them? Making a stand on your personal opinion on drinking through pregnancy?

I agree. It's a job, just do what you're paid for :shrug: It'd be like a doctor or nurse refusing to treat a man who is in hospital because he has lung cancer through smoking or a gang member who has been shot :\ They're not paid to judge people, they just do their job.

^^exactly

I would serve them you cant control what others do, the woman can make up herown mind xx

also what happens if u saw a woman u thought was pregnant when shes actualy not? and then u come out with im not serving u because ur pregnant when she isnt. think the member of staff would be lucky not to get a punch lol

What about just doing what you're being paid to do and separating a personal opinion from a professional one?

I would serve a pregnant woman, its up to her what she does, and just because you refuse to serve her doesnt mean she's not going to drink or go get it elsewhere, it might not even be for her anyway, so really what is the actual point behind not serving them? Making a stand on your personal opinion on drinking through pregnancy?

As iv said I neither served or refused to serve.
I dont think I ever would refuse as I dont like to offend and at the end of the day its not my business.
My way of dealing with it is to just let someone else serve them that way im just minding my own business and staying out of it.
If it came down to it and I was the only one on the bar then I would still serve them, I just wondered what others would do.

also what happens if u saw a woman u thought was pregnant when shes actualy not? and then u come out with im not serving u because ur pregnant when she isnt. think the member of staff would be lucky not to get a punch lol

Not something id ever do even in the case of of the woman who I know was pregnant because she was in my anti natal class.

Please bare in mind I have not refused anyone or offended anyone or ever would do its just something I was wondering about as in would people let morals stand in the way of their job

i dont think anyone can afford to put morals infront of a job these days

As iv said I neither served or refused to serve.
I dont think I ever would refuse as I dont like to offend and at the end of the day its not my business.
My way of dealing with it is to just let someone else serve them that way im just minding my own business and staying out of it.
If it came down to it and I was the only one on the bar then I would still serve them, I just wondered what others would do.

Sorry chick i didnt mean you/you're directly at you, it was in a general sense

Dont get me wrong I dont want to pee anyone of by saying you shouldnt have a drink while pregnant, im not that oppinionated :)
I just find it realy interesting how we view things suddenly changes once a baby is born, how most wouldnt bat an eyelid at a pregnant woman having a glass of wine yet would probably kick up a stink if they then saw that same woman a few weeks later giving a newborn a sip of wine.

Which reminds me of another woman that I did refuse service to and eventualy barred because she kept giving whole alcoholic drinks to her 5 and 12 year olds (routhly that age) and im talking buying them pints and spirits not just sips, that isnt just a moral thing thats because I dont want to be fined £5k and loose my job.

I thinks a hard one you have to put all personal beliefs aside and do your job at the end of the day. Shes an adult and has made the decision to have a drink whilst pregnant. :shrug: thats just how id see it anyway.

<3

I haven't read the whole of the thread so I don't know if someone has already said this, but how would you know it was for themself? They might be buying someone else a drink in a bar or if it's in a shop it could be for their partner or as a gift.

I didn't drink at all once I discovered I was pregnant but that was my choice. It didn't stop me going into pubs and bars though, I just had soft drinks myself but would buy alcohol for others. It's not my place to comment on what someone else does - even if I think it's completely immoral.

I work in a shop and im ALWAYS serving pregnant women alcohol and cigs coz they get sent out on the beer run.
The only time i would refuse to serve a pregnant women alcohol was if i knew they were already drunk.
There is no law to stop me serving ANYBODY above 18, unless they are a known prostitute, police in uniform or already drunk (have to use personal judgement here) or giving reason to suggest they are for somebody under age.
And with cigs as long as they are over 18 i cannot refuse a sale unless they give me a reason to suggest they are for somebody under age.

I had 1 drink when pregnant (on my birthday) so i dont an think anybody should NEVER touch a drop when pregnant, its personal choice. But smoking i feel is a whole other issue, it should be banned full stop (ex smoker here)

er, its not really anyones business is it ? what a pregnant woman buys or does not buy ?! lol ... she could be getting a round in for a group of people or be in a shop buying drinks for a gift or for a friend, and for others to pass judgement is well a bit rude, however i might have to think twice at serving a obviously drunk pregnant woman at a bar.. but at the end of the day.. its not illegal and not really any of MY business .. so really would prob have to serve her anyways.. not that i work in a bar, but this is a theoretical situation :) x

i used to be a night club manager and yes i did serve alcohol to a pregnant lady like some have said technically just 1 drink once in a while is aloud.... the lady in question did however carry on drinking and i refused her anymore from me anyway some of the other bar staff did serve her again and again and by around 4am i had had just about enough of her so i gave her a full on piece of my mind about her baby not having a choice in the matter and she left rather upset but i didnt and still dont think im i was in the wrong she should have the sense to have a few cheeky ones and go home or go on pop but she judt pushed her luck... she was a regular in our club and at the time she had 5 weeks left and she didnt come bk in until baby was about 4 mnonths old so maybe i gave her the kick up the ass she needed xxx

^ yeah sometimes you just need to say something. Child welfare is EVERYONEs business. What was she doing in what I assume was a loud, booming nightclub anyway?

god knows and trust me it was a loud place it was a rock night club for 1 xx

She could be buying a round for a whole table? You can't automatically assume the drink she is purchasing is for herself. Would you walk up to a pregnant smoker on the street and remove their cigarette? At the end of the day it is personal choice how careful you are with your pregnancy. I avoided all things i was advised to food-wise, didn't smoke, take certain medication and only had about 3 drinks throughout the whole nine months.

I would. You never know, could just be getting drinks for others. I did when I was pregnant. I did a lot of bar runs but didn't drink myself. Also while it is illegal it is her perogative... as much as it makes me feel ill. You could be viewed as discriminating... or even sexist (after all, men can't get pregnant...). I don't agree with those views but... it;s the world we live in.

If she seemed in any way tipsy I would use that as an excuse though and cut her off xx

I have a question. Is smoking allowed in bars in the UK? It is in a lot of the United States.

For those who say they would not serve a pregnant woman alcohol, would they also say that pregnant women should not be allowed in bars where smoking is allowed, since secondhand smoke is also harmful to unborn babies? Since bars/restaurants can refuse service to anyone, couldn't they technically kick out a pregnant woman so she is not breathing secondhand smoke?

Smoking is banned in all public buildings/shops/resaurants/bars etc xx

Hmm. Too bad it isn't banned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back