would you serve alcohol to a pregnant woman?

i worked in a bar, and you have the right to refuse to serve anyone.

For me it would depend on what they were drinking, if they came to the bar and asked for a beer, or a shot or something i would refuse service. I believe they are allowed 1 small glass of wine or half a pint of guiness.

I also refused service to drunk people who were getting out of control.

I also refused service to those annoying people who bang ont he bar or click their fingers or say "oi oi you me next"

I serve in the order they come to the bar and if they dont like it they can leave.

ofcourse working in a bar u can refuse to serve people for different reasons. but why is it up to u to decide what a grown woman is "allowed" to drink? and how do u no that drink is even for her?

i think think people are asking for trouble when they try to tell someone what they can and cant do. as bar staff its ur job to serve people (with exceptions) its not ur job to judge and push ur feelings on others

we're allowed to stop serving people or refuse service that is part of our job as being a server. to allow or to refuse.

It is upto the person serving to decide whether they believe the drink will be harmful to the person they are serving it to. Drunk people are generally refused service because more alcohol could poison them, make them sick etc. Pregnant women it can harm their unborn child.

its not an easy decision to make when faced with it in a bar. But if the woman has decided she wants to drink and harm her baby it should not rest on the bar staff to be laid for blame for "serving her alcohol", yet normally that is where the blame goes. its int he best interest of both parties for the pregnant woman not to be served.

and even then it can make no difference, they just ask someone else to get them the drink. but then the server is unaware of who is going to consume the alcohol and they wont be to blame, the friend who got her the drink will.

i just think its so rude to judge someone like that without even knowing if the drink is even for them or to even say well no i dont think its good for ur baby....thats ur opinion and might not be hers.

i have worked in many bars myself so i no the reasons not to serve someone.

u could be serving someone who has a stomach condition that u dont no about and causing them harm but because u cant see it does that then make it ok?

the only way i wouldnt serve a pregnant woman is if she was drunk already or i had seen her say down a shot at the bar. but even then its really not my place

EDIT: its also like a shop assistant refusing to serve someone fags because it can cause them cancer...its nothing to do with that shop assistant if that person wants to smoke or not and its their job to serve that person

I also refused service to those annoying people who bang ont he bar or click their fingers or say "oi oi you me next"

LOL. I once worked with a woman who turned to a man doing exactly this and said 'Hello, i'm Kerry i am the barmaid and i will decide who is next... that person is not you' then refused to serve him ALL NIGHT. :D:haha:

I dont think its judging anyone actually. I believe that drinking while pregnant is harmful to the baby. Which is correct. Thats not being judgmental at all. And knowing that its harmful, its my right not to serve a pregnant woman alcohol.

LOL. I once worked with a woman who turned to a man doing exactly this and said 'Hello, i'm Kerry i am the barmaid and i will decide who is next... that person is not you' then refused to serve him ALL NIGHT. :D:haha:

the amount of people how did that! or whistle like they are calling a dog, we'd all just stand and look at him like he said a dirty word and serve everyone around him.

it is being judgemental.
not even health care proffesionals can make up their minds to guidelines these days. some mws say 2units a week is fine and others say none at all....my mw while pregnant with zane even said the guideline was 2-4 units a week.

there is a huge difference between a pregnant woman having 1 drink to having 10.

so to me its simple as ur not a doctor ur bar staff and have no place to what is good for a baby or not, if that person is staying in the guidelines given by their mw.

also ive said it before what if u thought someone was pregnant and u said no im not serving u because ur pregnant and they werent.

we all no how harmful smoking is so would u refuse to serve someone fags if u worked in a shop? because to me thats the same level of judgement

dont get me started on people shouting oi i was here first or banging on the bar or waving money! i even had some gimp from hollyoaks say to me "do u no how i am?" i said yeah a cocky twat wait ur turn

Yes I would serve them (and i have had many bar/waitressing jobs in the past and im currently a manager in a hotel) - for one they might not be pregnant - i have met a women who was v ill and she looked like she was 9 months pregnant (but not!) also i have no idea if they are consuming the alcohol or not - it is not my place to judge. Also if you did refuse to serve to someone who you thought was pregnant, a) they would probably not be pregnant just look like they are and b) guarenteed they would cause such a riot about it all and it would probably end up all over the internet - not v good for business

Would i serve them if they were drunk? - no - because they were drunk and its illegal to serve a drunk person alcohol

it is being judgemental.
not even health care proffesionals can make up their minds to guidelines these days. some mws say 2units a week is fine and others say none at all....my mw while pregnant with zane even said the guideline was 2-4 units a week.

there is a huge difference between a pregnant woman having 1 drink to having 10.

so to me its simple as ur not a doctor ur bar staff and have no place to what is good for a baby or not, if that person is staying in the guidelines given by their mw.

also ive said it before what if u thought someone was pregnant and u said no im not serving u because ur pregnant and they werent.

we all no how harmful smoking is so would u refuse to serve someone fags if u worked in a shop? because to me thats the same level of judgement

dont get me started on people shouting oi i was here first or banging on the bar or waving money! i even had some gimp from hollyoaks say to me "do u no how i am?" i said yeah a cocky twat wait ur turn

I will just agree to disagree, I believe alcohol is harmful. thats my opinion.

And i go could also go on alll day about arrogant people wanting a drink, we had a local rugby club come in and they were already drunk as hell, when we refused them service they jumped over the bar and started smashing bottles and were throwing up everywhere...we had to have the police and doorstaff drag them all out...not an easy job!

its one thing to win your game...but another to be drunk idiots.

i live in a army town so every night i worked the lads would be out getting wasted...that was eventful lol

i just see it as serving a overweight person unhealthy food, a person fags should be seen the same way if a person feels that they wouldnt serve a pregnant woman but it isnt

well point made i guess. Ive given my opinion :) im out of here! thanks for the adult like debate though moomin, it was nice :) x

I haven't read all the replies.

No, I wouldn't serve them. I also wouldn't sell them cigarettes. I just couldn't.

thats the thing tho unless u no 100% who shes buying for u dont have the right to no serve her.

while i was pregnant with my first i often bought my ohs cigarettes and beer, doesnt mean they were for me

i live in a army town so every night i worked the lads would be out getting wasted...that was eventful lol

i just see it as serving a overweight person unhealthy food, a person fags should be seen the same way if a person feels that they wouldnt serve a pregnant woman but it isnt

Totally! Diet-well poor diet causes more illnesses and hospitalisations than any other vice in the UK-yet it is "acceptable"!

I had a small glass of champagne on my wedding day and i was 16 weeks pregnant, so shoot me now!

If the lady was drunk then no i dont think i would serve, but otherwise, she could be buying for others or maybe just having the one.

The guidelines are very strict as scientists DO NOT KNOW how much alcohol can lead to FAS. They DO KNOW that is is mainly caused by drinking over the limit and alcoholism but there is NO research that shows one drink in your pregnancy can cause FAS.

You have to be careful about everything at the end of the day. Eating a pack of Hariboes will be harmful to your bubba in raising the blood osmotic pressure and raising the blood glucose level too quickly. But it does not stop us eating sugar when we have awful morning sickness!

The guideline about alcohol is there for people who are very uneducated and dont know what is acceptable. I am sure most poeple on Bnb didnt down half a bottle of wine every night when they were pregnant (unlike the 60s), but SOME people really just dont know how to manage their health.

Babies start laying down cholesterol in their arteries in the womb, evenmore so if the mother is consuming too much cholesterol, HDLs and LDLs. I think diet should get just as much campaigning and advice as what pregnant women get about alcohol.

i agree tu123.

ive had the odd drink myself...when i say odd ive had like 3 wkds all at different times (altho i did have afew drinks before i found out i was pregnant but luckly didnt get drunk)
theres a huge difference seeing a pregnant woman getting pissed and just having 1

I would serve them, the only time I would refuse service is if they are underage, buying for someone underage, already what i believe drunk or being aggressive etc, which is my right to do. I would never refuse service to an adult trying to enjoy a night out as its none of my business, I would be mortified if a barmad/waitress told me I could not have a drink, what business is it of theres as long as I am not one of the people above breaking the law and/or the house rules set out by the licensee (I am a licensee btw) then it sould not be a concern to the staff, they should be able to seperate their morals and their job which is what has to be done in most jobs now a days, as someone else said a Dr cannot refuse to treat because a patient is a smoker no matter how their morals are against smoking so what is the difference.

As to refusing to serve cigs to a pregnant woman, again whos business is it, as long as the person is over 18 and not being aggressive then the person serving has no real right to refuse unless it goes against the licesees house rules again. I used to buy 20s every week and 7 bottles of beer for DH when pregnant, if I had been refused I would of been mortified as its none of their business, I am legally allowed to buy and you cannot just assume its for the person buying. Complaints would be made as well, and alot of jumping up and down via pen and paper from me.

I am overweight still and actually still look a little prgnant, I am sure some think I might be, I would go mental if I was refused because someone "thought" I was pregnant now

Not ment to offend just my opinion btw

if i worked in a shop then no because you have no idea if they are buying it for someone else and really its not my business.

yrs ago i worked in a bar and a local woman was in drinking and she was just about due, it sat very uncomfortable with me serving her as she was getting drunk, but there was no way i was telling her no as you can tell what sort of woman she was just from the fact she was getting drunk when she was due any day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->