WTF do I do?

CurlySue

P.I's Mummy
Reaction score
Hospital just rang. They said:

Consultant is not in on the day of your surgery, 4th September. We can either do it later, October, or we can do it on 31st July, which is next Thursday.

Office manager is not in. I cannot ask her if I can take those days off. Other office manager is off sick.

I really, really do not want to wait until October…so, I said yes.

What if I can’t go? What if office manager says I can’t go?

I got stuck in a work situation which clashed with a IUI visit and I ended up lying and saying my partner had a medical condition and i had to go and support her.

Afterwards I felt a bit stupid and wished I had just confided the real situation confidentially to my boss. Its embarressing but in retrospect I thought my boss would have sympathised. of course sometimes this is impossible (espec if you don't want work to know you might be pregnant soon).

I totally understand not wanting to postpone it. Good luck!

I think you should go for it. You've been in pain long enough! What happens if you don't and come October, they say that it's postponed again?

It's an operation so don't think your manager will really say no, so I say go for it. Just explain the date has been moved forward (not that you chose an earlier date) and there is nothing you can do about it. Hope it works out hun! :hugs:

:hug:

I have to take it as holidays but I cannot ask if I can have the holidays. If she says no, what do I do? I can't really phone in sick, can I?

Ah I wish people had been in just to let me know.

Hmm I see what you mean. Kind of sucks you have to take it as a holiday. Is there no one higher than the office managers in that you can talk to? Is the office manager that is supposed to be in completely out of reach? ie not email or mobile on them? Otherwise if they are back on monday I would go for the sympathy vote....Unreliable NHS screwing your appts up and bringing operation forward with little notice, hopefully they will help you out! :hugs:

:hug:

Bringing it forward is a good thing. Cancellation, it was. If I cannot make this appointment then I have to wait until October because the person who was going to do the lap is not back from wherever he is until that date.

So - my appointment was September 4th. I can either have it on 31st July...or in the middle of October.

I have just said yes. Office manager has no reason to say no aside from the too-little notice. It is not my fault she is out of reach, really. Would have been almost the week's notice had she been in but she is at a funeral so cannot really disturb her.

Ai, weird. My lap and dye thing would actually be 9 days after first consultation if it happened. Is that, like, a record for speed?

If your employer knows what is going on I would be tempted to tell him the truth (omitting the part where you were given an option - obviously) and that the NHS changed the appt at the last minute.

I don't understand why you would have to take the days off as holiday, wouldn't it just go down as your off sick as you are having an operation? If work was funny I would ask my doctor to sign me off for the op and any days following they day you need to be recovering

It's too important to worry about work (easier said than done, I know).

The first option is to confide in your boss but that is tricky given that you are really aiming for a long time off for babies ASAP and might not want to give them forewarning (from the girl who had to come into work 12 hours after m/c because I couldn't tell anyone!).

If you are too nervous about asking then call in sick.
'I had 'problems', went to A&E and they kept me in for minor surgery. I need to be off for x number of days off.....'

Good luck.

Hx

Why do you have to tell the office manager everything, cant you just say I need to take the day off on holiday as I am having an operation and its ladies things they don't need to know why surely? You should def go to the earlier one to :hug:

I don't understand why you would have to take the days off as holiday, wouldn't it just go down as your off sick as you are having an operation? If work was funny I would ask my doctor to sign me off for the op and any days following they day you need to be recovering

I don't get paid sick. Have to have been in my job for three years before they will give you a paid sick day. If I am off sick, I dont get paid. Simple as that, really.

As for telling office manager, well, she knows all about it. I have had to take holidays for other appointments as well. Plus, I don't like lying. I am not a good liar and I always end up telling the truth.

I THINK she will be okay about it but I am not totally sure because you have to give a week's notice for holidays. I am just unnecessarily worrying that she is going to tell me 'sorry, no' and I am going to have to rearrange.

I could not ask her as she was off on a last minute holiday yesterday...so, really, she would be a hypocrite if she said no.

I'm sorry I said anything at all, now. It's just that someone had to take a message for me. I had to call back. They already knew that the hospital had called me.

id be truthful if you don't get paid sick leave and try get jobs done before your off? id def go for the earlier option though xx

Truthfully, I'd call in sick if I had to....well let's face it...it's not like you won't see a doctor :winkink: lol

Good luck huni

If you're off for more than 3 days you get paid statutory sick pay however you may need to fill in a self certificate which you can get from your GP

I was only planning on being off the thursday and friday. Should be fine to go in on Monday.

If someone else hadn't answered the phone then I would have just phoned in sick, but then if I am achy and cannot really lift stuff come Monday it's going to look pretty obvious.

Its just a really bad atmosphere in my office of late, that is what is worrying me, and there is so much urgent stuff, incidentally one of which needs finishing by Thursday, which would be the day I am off.

I actually don't even care, now. If they can take last minute holidays for shite then I can take them for this.

You should definitely get time off for something like this. Even if you weren't TTC you need this for all the physical pain you endure, so it is a medical reason even without the TTC bit.

I would just tell your boss that you have to have an operation, they cannot say no to something like that. It may be hard for them but they will survive without you being there, this is more important hun :hugs:

I have just been on edge, to be honest. It has been horrible at work. My first week back. I work for a few people but one of them is the biggest idiot known to man. Picky. Bitter. Nasty. Sarcastic. Arrogant. All of these things.

He has been blaming me for things I could not possibly have done all week. I have kind of aggravated the situation by getting visibly frustrated with him because of it. The atmosphere is not pleasant.

I only hope that this is not going to just be the thing that tips the balance. He does not know why I would not be in. I will not tell him. He would not even notice anyway. I have been off for two weeks and he keeps asking me why I have left stuff on my desk for almost two weeks.

"Because I have not been here, you dickhead!"

I suppose that last week in work has just set me off, made me edgy without reason. And, what also worries me is that I have to go for pre-op assessment on Monday during my lunch hour and I worry I will not be back in time.

I am just dreading being told that I cannot have this time off. I really am. I honestly would not be surprised if that happened...it would be just my luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->