x

They don't tell you that just because of hot spots it is also because the chemical makeup is also affected and can damage your baby's kidneys

They don't tell you that just because of hot spots it is also because the chemical makeup is also affected and can damage your baby's kidneys

I have no idea whether or not this is true but surely if it were then it's more serious than a hot spot and this warning would also be printed on the carton as well as (or even instead of) the hot spot warning? :shrug:

^^WSS

Ive microwaved with all 4 of mine, sod the faffing with hot water in jugs/bottle warmers when youve got a hungry baby screaming for his milk!
Just make sure you shake well and test before feeding:thumbup:

If this was true then why has noone ever told me considering that my daughter has preexisting kidney problems?
The only issue is BPA. Bottles no longer contain BPA.

I've always used the microwave to heat bottles. Give 'em a good shake, and you're good to go.

I think it's only the composition of breastmilk that's affected by microwaves, not formula.

I did a google search and did find something that says a dr in America I think found that microwaving formula affects its chemical composition which can have an effect on the kidneys, but there wasn't any information to back it up, it was more like just a quote. For me to believe it I would need to see a study with evidence to prove it.

I am sure boiling water also effects the nutrients? Most proteins are denatured in too cold or hot environment.

As long as you shake i am sure it is fine.

Seriously, i'd like to see a randomised blind control study with at least 5000 subjects to believe that microwaving can be detrimental.

Whatever you do there will be some small reason as to why you shouldnt:shrug:

I dont actually microwave because we dont have one. We fill sterilised bottles with two thirds cooled boiled water then top up with fresh boiling. That probably has "issues" too-but it works for us!

Ive started microwaving bottles for the last month. It is so much easier. As long as its mixed really really well with a spoon and shook well too to ensure no hot spots I dont see it being a problem.

i just want to ask...why did you all choose to heat your babys milk in the first place?

my lo drinks room temprature milk so i never have to warm it up, i did when he was little and now i wonder why on earth i did that!

i just want to ask...why did you all choose to heat your babys milk in the first place?

my lo drinks room temprature milk so i never have to warm it up, i did when he was little and now i wonder why on earth i did that!

Lucky you!!!! i have tried room temp but she wont drink it and gets upset!

I premake and keep them in the fridge so it is too cold to drink without heating first - and Fran likes hers nice and warm :)

I premake and keep them in the fridge so it is too cold to drink without heating first - and Fran likes hers nice and warm :)

see i found the way around this was to only add the water to the bottles and leave them on the counter, then add the formula an hour or so before his feed was coming up so that it was shaken and the bubbles had settled..

i BF for the first 4 months, combi fed for a month and then FF from then on and when i switched to FF i was also putting them int he fridge premade and warming them up, eventually i warmed them less and less then started just filling the bottle with water and adding formula so they were at room temp. now i dont have to worry...just wish id figured this out 4 months ago! :dohh:

see i found the way around this was to only add the water to the bottles and leave them on the counter, then add the formula an hour or so before his feed was coming up so that it was shaken and the bubbles had settled..

i BF for the first 4 months, combi fed for a month and then FF from then on and when i switched to FF i was also putting them int he fridge premade and warming them up, eventually i warmed them less and less then started just filling the bottle with water and adding formula so they were at room temp. now i dont have to worry...just wish id figured this out 4 months ago! :dohh:

I know there are thousands of women who do things the same as you, but I follow the World Health Organisation guidelines for making bottles. They recommend making each one fresh as required but I think we all agree that is a complete ballache lol! So they say if you want to premake to follow the same instructions but rapid cool and keep in the fridge for no longer than 24hrs.

Formula powder isn't sterile and needs to be added to water that is no less than 70 degrees centigrade to kill off the bacteria in it. I don't think microwaving takes much longer than shaking some powder in either xxx

I'm not criticising the way people make bottles up btw, just stating how and why I do it the way I do xxx

I know there are thousands of women who do things the same as you, but I follow the World Health Organisation guidelines for making bottles. They recommend making each one fresh as required but I think we all agree that is a complete ballache lol! So they say if you want to premake to follow the same instructions but rapid cool and keep in the fridge for no longer than 24hrs.

Formula powder isn't sterile and needs to be added to water that is no less than 70 degrees centigrade to kill off the bacteria in it. I don't think microwaving takes much longer than shaking some powder in either xxx

I'm not criticising the way people make bottles up btw, just stating how and why I do it the way I do xxx

ive never heard of the rapid cool thing :shrug: i guess that would explain why everyone puts it in the fridge.

i dont...because i buy bottled water because the tap water is really hard and calcifies!

ive never heard of the rapid cool thing :shrug: i guess that would explain why everyone puts it in the fridge.

i dont...because i buy bottled water because the tap water is really hard and calcifies!

They tell us over here not to use bottled water to make formula up with because it can contain a lot of sodium and other minerals - but it's weighing up pro's and cons against that and using very hard water isn't it? There is so much information out there and every country seems to have different guidelines it can get very confusing don't you think?

Luckily my LO drinks room temperature formula but I probably would use a microwave if she didn't. :lol:

They tell us over here not to use bottled water to make formula up with because it can contain a lot of sodium and other minerals - but it's weighing up pro's and cons against that and using very hard water isn't it? There is so much information out there and every country seems to have different guidelines it can get very confusing don't you think?

It definitely gets confusing! I Used Gerber Baby Water when he was younger and Nursery water since he got teeth. The Tap water like i said is very hard, contain a lot of minerals and when you boil it it goes cloudy! and then the pan gets covered in limescale and calcium...so for me the best option was bottled water! Im very careful about what i give my baby with regards to foods and milk and water etc but it can be hard when companies seem to like to include everything under the sun in everything!

this is the Nursery Water:
https://www.nurserywater.com/nursery/
this is whats in it:
https://www.nurserywater.com/pdfs/Water%20Quality%20Report%20-%20US%20English.pdf
(scroll to page 3 onwards to see)

nursery water is my favourite as it contains the least and doesnt have added minerals like Gerber does which according to them is "for taste"

It definitely gets confusing! I Used Gerber Baby Water when he was younger and Nursery water since he got teeth. The Tap water like i said is very hard, contain a lot of minerals and when you boil it it goes cloudy! and then the pan gets covered in limescale and calcium...so for me the best option was bottled water! Im very careful about what i give my baby with regards to foods and milk and water etc but it can be hard when companies seem to like to include everything under the sun in everything!

this is the Nursery Water:
https://www.nurserywater.com/nursery/
this is whats in it:
https://www.nurserywater.com/pdfs/Water%20Quality%20Report%20-%20US%20English.pdf
(scroll to page 3 onwards to see)

nursery water is my favourite as it contains the least and doesnt have added minerals like Gerber does which according to them is "for taste"

Oh wow - I don't think I've ever seen anything like that over here! Perhaps I should go into business and ship it over to capture the gap in the market!!!!

The US has totally different rules for making up formula to us UK gals. Holly's formula is imported from the US and has labelling specifically for the UK market. I realised this when researching how to make it up on the manufacturers US website. Because it's a prescription formula, I assumed that was the reason why it needed to be made with cooled boiled water - I was suprised when it actually arrived and is labelled to make up in the usual way. The US ladies don't have to bother with sterilising either, they're so lucky lol! Anyhow, back to the OP, I started microwaving after the lovely BnB ladies assured me it was ok - I've never looked back! I premake so the milk is cold, and Holly pointblank refuses to drink it if it isn't really warm - she is such a diva :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->