You didn't just say that!!!

Some of the most upsetting things said to me have been from nurses.

I went into hospital with a suspected MC. i had got a BFP and then a few days later started bleeding. At the same time we lost the family dog who was only 2 and fine one day and paralysed the next so we were in a really delicate way emotionally. I didn't go to see doc or anything until about 2 weeks later when I was still bleeding to the point I was flooding constantly (sorry TMI) I was becoming ill, a very lovely doctor sent me into the early pregnancy unit to be checked out thinking that I had had an incomplete MC. I was sat next to all the expectant mothers and asked for a urine sample. The nurse then said to me, "your not pregnant", i explained that I understood that but i'd been sent in as doc thought i perhaps had had an incomplete MC and the nurse said "well, 'IF' you were pregnant, your not anymore so you can go home" She was so cold about it I left and cried the entire night.

Another time, I was in my local surgery getting bloods done to check all the usual, the nurse was lovely the whole way through it (I am terrified of needles) and she was telling me how she'd went through IVF to have her children etc and how it wasn't easy but very much worth it. Then as I was leaving she said to me " well good luck, I hope you are one of the lucky ones, we dont see many success stories from people trying as long as you". I closed the door and was like :shock:....I've been TTC for 2 years.... I was devastated, went home thinking OMG I have no chance if what she's saying is true! I didnt think 2 years was "medically" such a huge deal. It is emotionally obviously but all other docs had told me not to worry its 'only been' 2 years etc etc.

The fact that I have a son I also get the "oh well at least you have one, so if it doesn't happen its not the end of the world"..... Don't get me wrong, I agree, whole heartidly that I am truly blessed to have my son, but I will still be devastated if I can't have another. Even my hubby has said this to me, that although he wants another child he won't be devastated if we can't have another as we have our son. I get what people are saying but I really want to be able to give my son a sibling, especially the fact that he has special needs, I want to give him someone else in life that will love him no matter what. We won't be around forever, would be nice to know he has someone else to look to in life.

sorry this post took on a life of its own. I only meant to write a short reply :blush:

My worst experience -aside from the You're trying too hard/Relax/It will happen when it's supposed to happen/Maybe it's not meant to be right now... is this -

I was sitting at a friends kitchen table and were discussing a recent m/c that a friend has had. She looks at me and says that she couldn't imagine. She would feel like such a failure as a woman if she wasn't able to get pregnant/had a m/c. I was stunned speechless. I just kind of sat there and stared at her for a few seconds. I felt like looking at her and saying - So I'm a failure as a woman because I haven't gotten a bfp yet? ...Of course I refrained, then vented to DH later.

Cara, I´ve gotten that one too.. Women are so insensitive to other women sometimes.. I got it from a friend who had just had a baby by C-section, she wanted a natural birth, so she was not "pleased", we went to visit since we are/were close and she says, you can not imagine how devastated I am, I feel like a failure for not giving birth naturally, even if I was able to conceive and carry full term, I can not imagine how you must feel... :dohh: I wanted to say I take it back your baby is not as cute as I just said.. Of course we excused ourselves and went home.. and I didn´t visit or called for a long time and she didn´t ever got a clue...

Another thing I get plenty of is: Oh, come on, just adopt already.. if you wanted a kid so much you would already be on your way to China, a lot of kids need love you know... Excuse me... what??? I wish people would be more polite and sensitive but they have a mouth and they will open it any chance they get... First times we got that I used to say yeah we are considering it.. but coming from people who didn´t choose to adopt and have plenty of their own kids one would think they get why we would want our biological kids.. I don´t need them preaching on the kids outthere in need of a home, I am fully aware of that, and I think it´s a noble thing and a full experience of love.. but I hate the way they slap me in the face with those comments as if I am being selfish and unkind to want my kids and not helping the world... If it came from a person who has adopted, and in a sensitive way, I would appreciate it, since it is something we have discussed as a posibility, but it irks me from people who disregard it as the logical thing to do for us..

Oh, and once I got a: Nature knows best, maybe it´s natural selection... WTH?? :wacko:

Guess I'll add mine to the list!

A couple of weeks ago, a friend (who has 4 children) was asking me how things are going and I was explaining about my upcoming lap...injections...etc. After 10 or so minutes of this, she proceeded to say, "(A while ago), my family was telling us to have another one. I took an OPK and it was positive. I'd been fighting with my husband, so I had to quick make up with him...BD...then I put my legs up in the air for a bit. A week later I knew I was pregnant, took a test and it was positive."

I was like, "uhm, did she really just say that?!" WHY in the world would you say something so insensitive to someone who you KNOW is struggling with infertility? Really, why? To make herself feel better/superior? People need to think before they speak!

This is the same friend who this spring said, "the timing has to be just right..." Really? Thanks; I didn't know that.

And the same friend lately when I see her has been saying, "I just have this good feeling that good things are about to happen for you." Oh really? You've been saying this for 3 months and nothing has happened. Obviously you were wrong the first time....and the second time....so why say it again?

:shrug: I personally have only been married to my husband for a little over 7 months now, but we've lived together for almost 3 years and have been together for 4. I know we haven't been together a long time, but we feel it's the next step for us :) I think it's just one of those to-each-their-own things :flower:

You have been together same amount of time as me and my DH :thumbup: I think if you have been together a long time then you have had that me and you time (which I think is important for couples), I know one girl who has been with her bf 8 weeks and already on about trying in the next few weeks! 8 WEEKS!

NavyWife84 said:
Yeah...but you fall into the "been with oh for a long time" category...lol. I also understand everyone does their own thing too though.

Damita: Woah! 8 weeks?!?! Noo way lol that's insane! I barely knew my DH after 8 weeks!

Both: I guess a lot of people that I know just tell me we haven't been married for long enough and that we're still in the 'honeymoon phase', yada yada but they never count in the other couple years lol so it's just instinct for me to say "But.. but... I want a baby!! :brat: "

StorkStalker: Natural Selection? wtf.. there's no reason to even say that! F-kin asses

Shocked at some of the things you poor ladies have had said to you!!

Since my last gyno wasn't thorough and didn't do my lap dye earlier this year..and seeing that a friend who had one tube blocked but still ovulated (afraid that may be the case for me), I called around for a new gyno.

Called this one office, the medical assistant answers and I tell her I'm a new patient wishing to see the Dr. She then goes on to ask, "Are you newly pregnant?"..I couldn't say anything, and then after a pause I said, "No it's for continued fertility testing."

What was I supposed to say? "I was supposed to be by now..but I'm currently halfway thru my 2WW and hoping to get my :bfp: this month." Ugh, what a cruel reminder that I'm still childless. :cry: On top of that, he's so booked that I can't get in until Dec 14th :nope:. That's just for initial consultation!! Who knows when he'll be able to go the actual test?? :growlmad:

I was in GNC buying men's fertility vitamins for my DH..I really need to get that card with the % savings but I keep telling myself this is the last bottle and we're on the 3rd bottle.

Anyways, I went to the cash register to pay for them and chatty Cathy decides to go on about the vitamins and how she was unaware that they were over in the Men's health section. I blurted out, "I wish that I didn't have to know about them." :dohh: Just let me purchase this expensive bottle and be on my merry infertile way!!! :growlmad:

Lol, I had the cashier in Boots once ask me whether the preseed I was buying worked and how I used it because she wanted to start trying for a family :blush: There was a queue of people behind me!

"Stop trying so hard, just relax" - Yah ok, its that easy
"You are so young dont worry about it now"- ok I will wait and worry when I am 40
"Come in the maternity store with me for a minute" Ughhhh really

Ooh, I've had all of those ^^

the one that irked me the most was "Does he know what he's doing? I should talk to him since I have 5 kids with one set of twins!"

:gun: :finger:

-2 days ago, my friend finds out that I am ttc. She gets really excited for me and I actually raised my hand up like a stop sign, and said to her smiling face, "Please don't get excited. There is nothing to be happy about. I'm not pregnant."

Anyway, this same person asked if I had tried opks. :wacko: I've done this 45 times. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I just said, "I'm a little beyond that, thanks."

- My ob/gyn asks me if I am having enough sex, and if it's timed prior to ov, b/c you know the sperm needs to be waiting for the egg. :dohh: I've had sex every 24, 36, or 48 hours (sometimes a combo of all 3) from a week prior to ov, until 2 days post ov. It is IMPOSSIBLE that I am missing my ov time by not having sex.

And this was after her nurse got my blood pressure and asked what my method of birth control was.

-I am going to Vegas with my husband next week :)happydance:). A coworker told me twice to make sure that I bring birth control with me. I wouldn't want to come home pregnant!

Lol, I had the cashier in Boots once ask me whether the preseed I was buying worked and how I used it because she wanted to start trying for a family :blush: There was a queue of people behind me!

I got an odd look in return and thankfully she hurried the transaction.

I don't understand why people need to inquire about the items were purchasing! Who wants to discuss lub and men's fertility vitamins?

I got an odd look in return and thankfully she hurried the transaction.

I don't understand why people need to inquire about the items were purchasing! Who wants to discuss lub and men's fertility vitamins?

Exactly! I also had a stupid (obviously pregnant) cashier comment about some opks I was buying: Oh, you just need to relax.

Of course, and my medication will time itself on its own then, will it?

I try to buy everything online now!

"Does he know what he's doing? I should talk to him since I have 5 kids with one set of twins!"
:gun: :finger:

I've had this one before. I just look at them like they're stupid and say "Yes, yes he does... and if you don't believe me - ask our neighbours." Some people can be surprisingly stunned. Haha.

haha like it cara xx - nice to see you around again!

:blush:I also got one from the cashier when I was buying prenatals - she asked how far along I was!:dohh: i had to admit to her that actually i wasnt pregnant :blush:

she said 'just well prepared then..'
i said 'something like that..'

Following my last post (nurse told me to stand on my head), I had more blood taken on Monday and this nurse told me to relax and not try so hard!!!! :growlmad: What is wrong with these so-called healthcare professionals that they dish out the world's most ridiculous advice?!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->