10 months an not doing anything

LaughOutLoud

Reaction score
I know all babies develop at their own pace but I'm getting worried, specially after my mum makes comments about it. My baby is 10 months and hasn't rolled, can't sit up, cries during tummy times and just wants to be held all the time. He is fine in his jumperoo just bouncing away but doesn't do anything else. He hates eating and can hold foods but won't bring it to his mouth so I spoon feed him too. Oh an he hates napping. He's so tired by the end of the day that he falls asleep fine after a BF. He still wakes at night but we cosleep so that doesn't bother me.

He's my third so I can't hold him all the time because I have the older two that need me too. This means he's usually in his jumperoo or crying a lot. I've tried a sling but it doesn't help, he still cries.

Anyone else going though this? Should I be worried?

I would speak to your health visitor or doctor. Really, he should be rolling and sitting by himself at 10months. They do develop at different rates but these milestones are usually achieved first for physical development and usually between 4-8 months. Tummy time will really help his development and even if he grumbles, try to make sure he has a few 5 minute sessions every day. If there is any pain associated with tummy time, that would need investigation but if it is just 'I don't like it' grizzle, keep going. Is he at a nursery?

There is some belief that extended time in a jumperoo can slow development because it puts strain on the wrong parts and doesn't develop the right parts. 10-15 minutes a day is probably fine, but I think much more than that is discouraged. I would probably aim for more tummy time or the sling, even if he protests. A baby that is upset in your arms and not having strain put on his hips and back by a jumperoo is certainly better than the alternatives. That said, they all develop at their own pace and it might be he just needs more floor time to get it, even if that is hard to do right now.

I,d def get it checked out hon
U being worried is enough reason to do so xx
Hope it all turns out to be just a little lag.
But def better to raise your concerns to your Dr

Ceri- he isn't at a nursery. I'm a stay at home mum so he is with me but gets other social interaction besides myself. I do put him down for tummy time a few times a day. May be for not that long though because he screams to be back up.

Minutopia- he is always in my arms when I can help it. But with my other two and just trying to do normal things I do have to put him down. He can hold his head but in the sling he lays back so his head is falling back. He's been able to hold his head up since he was tiny though.

I have imtried writing this a few times but end up deleting it because it sounds like I'm complaining. He is such a beautiful lovely little boy and I absolutely love him. I'm just trying to do what's best for him.

I would get him checked out - what have they said at his developmental checks so far?

I would get him checked out - what have they said at his developmental checks so far?

They think he hasn't rolled because I'm not doing enough tummy time. This was in February. Also the doctor said he will do it when he's ready but didn't really check anything. May be I need to go again?

I feel he's just very laid back. He always wants me! We had a lot of trouble staring off weaning too when he was 6 months. He has a milk allergy which doctors An health visitors were reluctant to diagnose. So he was reacting to diary. I've had to look online and establish his issues with weaning and finally he has now been given an appointment to see a dietician and have an allergy test but this is in next couple of months. It took some time but he has finally established weaning an I guess this kind of over-shadowed all the physical side of things.

I only ask about nursery as they would have loads of experience and ideas to promote his physical development and would be able to monitor and review his progress. I work in a nursery with babies and (prior to mat leave) was the SENCO (special educational needs coordinator). Have a chat with you health visitor or gp and see what they suggest. Your not complaining Hun, you just want what's best for him 💙

I only ask about nursery as they would have loads of experience and ideas to promote his physical development and would be able to monitor and review his progress. I work in a nursery with babies and (prior to mat leave) was the SENCO (special educational needs coordinator). Have a chat with you health visitor or gp and see what they suggest. Your not complaining Hun, you just want what's best for him 💙

Thank you for your reply. The HV put me off asking them because they made me feel like I wasn't being a good mum. He is my third so it's not the same that I can give him all my attention all the time but I do always do things around my children an I follow their lead. They can't seem to get that he genuinely really does hate tummy time. My mum suggested a walker for him so he could follow me around. I've not used one before but he is strong in his legs An can stand. I gave a feeling he'd start walking in it but I don't want to skip this initial stage because it doesn't feel right.

I've come across the term low muscle tone but he isn't a floppy baby. If anything he keep one arm really stiff.

I got told the same about my #2 and #3 babies, that they weren't getting enough floor or tummy time and it was going to stunt their progress. Well they had as much as my son did, they just haven't been as quick to do stuff as him because they are different people!

Sophie I think was about 8-9 months when she rolled, and that was considered REALLY late here, she pretty much did nothing till then. But she was up and about walking at 11 months so it seemed to even out.

I do think 10 months is pretty late to still just be doing nothing, but it's not your fault and don't let anyone make you think otherwise.

I got told the same about my #2 and #3 babies, that they weren't getting enough floor or tummy time and it was going to stunt their progress. Well they had as much as my son did, they just haven't been as quick to do stuff as him because they are different people!

Sophie I think was about 8-9 months when she rolled, and that was considered REALLY late here, she pretty much did nothing till then. But she was up and about walking at 11 months so it seemed to even out.

I do think 10 months is pretty late to still just be doing nothing, but it's not your fault and don't let anyone make you think otherwise.

Thank you. I've been googling an now I'm getting very much worried. I'll definitely take him doctors as soon as I get an appointment

If you support him, will he sit with a straight back and neck? Like, when he is in the jumperoo, is his controlled in his back and neck?

I worked with a little boy who hated tummy time and would not roll over, but could sit and bum shuffled rather than crawled. He would bum shuffle to a table, pull to stand and started walking by 14months. It's not unusal to miss some milestones so try not to worry too much.

I hope you get some answers soon.x

Thank you for your reply. The HV put me off asking them because they made me feel like I wasn't being a good mum. He is my third so it's not the same that I can give him all my attention all the time but I do always do things around my children an I follow their lead. They can't seem to get that he genuinely really does hate tummy time. My mum suggested a walker for him so he could follow me around. I've not used one before but he is strong in his legs An can stand. I gave a feeling he'd start walking in it but I don't want to skip this initial stage because it doesn't feel right.

I've come across the term low muscle tone but he isn't a floppy baby. If anything he keep one arm really stiff.

Hello :) I agree with taking him back to your Dr and make a mention of how he holds his arm stiff aswell, he may have tightness in certain muscles which makes it really uncomfortable for him x

After being up all night and googling I have been worried about mild cerebral palsy. Managed to go doctors who has done hospital referral for the stiffness an no rolling.

Ceri- he a stand on his legs An is currently in my lap sitting, pulling himself forward. I pray he's just laid back baby an nothing is wrong with him.

That sounds promising! It might be that he can do it but doesn't want to. Glad you've got your referral 💗

My littles guy has one sided cerebral palsy
He has high tone in his right arm.
But low tone or weak muscles in trunk
U can hve a mix of high and low.
Hopefully it turns out to be just delay.
The gastro problems could hve held him back.
No wonder he doesn't like tummy time.
I've two refluxers who hated tummy time.
Id hate lying down if it made me throw up too.
Def better to get referral and hve him checked.
Will hopefully put your mind at ease.
Or worst case scenario get early help xxx

Thats great news for the referral:) They will know exactly what checks to do to rule everything out and can give you exercises that will help:)

I also have a little one with hemiplegia (cerebral palsy affecting one side of the body). I second what others are saying. Do get him checked and mention the arm stiffness. It might not be anything like cp, but no rolling or sitting by this point would concern me. If there is some other physical reason for his discomfort they can work to resolve this and perhaps refer to a physio who will be able to help you with some exercises to strengthen the muscles he's struggling with. If his legs are strong it could be his core, so tummy time is best but if he doesn't tolerate it (maybe food/tummy issues?) then they will be best able to help you with alternatives, rather than a hv, who I find are well meaning but not very knowledge in this area. I'd been keen to push for a referral.

Edit: Sorry only just read properly that you got your referral!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->