**2015 August Fireflies** 90 bundles of summer Love!

Greats, I never thought potty training is that challenging. Right now, still preoccupied with those damn molars. dS woke around 3am and cried for 2 hours. Poor DH, has to get up at 7am.

It's great you dont have sciatica Kyla. I had that last pregnancy since week10, but this time I think baby is in a better position. Got checked by the midwife last night, she said this baby is already head down and anterior so already ideal for delivery. Also, got cleared for diabetes and high bloods, so fxed, I'll have another natural water birth this time.. Unfortunately, we still have not sorted out our dilemma of who will take care of DS. Our only family friend just moved interstate, and zero family, relatives here.. So, I guess I'll be giving birth alone. :sigh: hopefully like the Duchess Kate, this birth would be a breeze..

That's great that your pregnancy has been going so much more smoothly this time Lian. I'm hoping for a water birth this time as I was quite comfortable in the tub but we'll see.

That sucks that you will be on your own likely. Is there no way that any of your family could come out a bit before your due date or something. Do you have a friend or neighbor who could watch your LO? My Mom is about two hours away so we are calling her as soon as anything starts but we have two friends on standby in case Isla needs a place to go, (I'm doing a home birth but not sure if I want her in the room or not).

If you're planning on a water birth anyway could you do a home birth? At least then you could be in the same place as your DH and LO.

I do think second labours are much easier normally. My friend just had her daughter last night and said it was way faster and easier than her first! :thumbup:

Not sure if my doctor or hospital will follow a birth plan, but I'm making decisions on things I do and do not want for Ashlyn once she's here. For me I haven't decided in labor management yet. Before getting pregnant I was set on an epidural, but now I've been reading how it can stall and prolong labor as you're on your back the whole time and that doesn't help labor progress. So I think I want to wait as long as I can so I can walk around and use gravity to help things along. My hospital also does "rooming in" where they encourage you to keep the baby in the room with you rather than in the nursery so one less battle there. They aren't getting their hands on her unless there's an issue lol.

As far as newborn procedures (I'm sure I'll get a more detailed list of what our hospital does at our childbirth class)
Cord clamping - delayed by 5/6minutes
Eye ointment - no as I do not have and have no risk for what it prevents
Hep B shot - no as again no risk
Vit K shot - no. Delayed cord clamping should raise iron levels (immediate clamping cuts off 1/3rd of Abby's blood supply and thus iron as well) as well as breastfeeding as long as I get enough whilst breastfeeding as I'll be taking my iron supplement
Apgar scores (5 & 10 mins) - can be done on me or after delayed cord clamping
Heel stick (PKU) - yes
Breastfeeding as soon after birth as possible.

I'm expecting some issues as I'm saying no to pretty much everything. But they're not gonna goop up my baby's eyes and shoot her body full of stuff to prevent things I don't have and have zero risk factors for getting.

Not sure if my doctor or hospital will follow a birth plan, but I'm making decisions on things I do and do not want for Ashlyn once she's here. For me I haven't decided in labor management yet. Before getting pregnant I was set on an epidural, but now I've been reading how it can stall and prolong labor as you're on your back the whole time and that doesn't help labor progress. So I think I want to wait as long as I can so I can walk around and use gravity to help things along. My hospital also does "rooming in" where they encourage you to keep the baby in the room with you rather than in the nursery so one less battle there. They aren't getting their hands on her unless there's an issue lol.

As far as newborn procedures (I'm sure I'll get a more detailed list of what our hospital does at our childbirth class)
Cord clamping - delayed by 5/6minutes
Eye ointment - no as I do not have and have no risk for what it prevents
Hep B shot - no as again no risk
Vit K shot - no. Delayed cord clamping should raise iron levels (immediate clamping cuts off 1/3rd of Abby's blood supply and thus iron as well) as well as breastfeeding as long as I get enough whilst breastfeeding as I'll be taking my iron supplement
Apgar scores (5 & 10 mins) - can be done on me or after delayed cord clamping
Heel stick (PKU) - yes
Breastfeeding as soon after birth as possible.

I'm expecting some issues as I'm saying no to pretty much everything. But they're not gonna goop up my baby's eyes and shoot her body full of stuff to prevent things I don't have and have zero risk factors for getting.

Your hospital should follow a birth plan. I would make sure that your OB is aware and bring copies that your OH can give to nurses that you're working with and the doctor delivering your baby.

Re an epidural; I had originally planned on having one and then decided against it after my prenatal class. My plan was to labor at home until 5cm and them go to the hospital. However, my labor progressed much faster than we anticipated, hence why I had a home birth.:haha: I would personally recommend staying at home for as long as you are comfortable before heading to the hospital, particularly if you're hoping to avoid an epidural; as you are more comfortable and can move around freely in your home I think it helps with labor progression.

Also, if you get an epidural there is no shame in that; I have friends who have long labors and needed a break and an epidural gave them the ability to rest. In my birth plan I think I actually stated that I really wanted to try to have an un-medicated birth but if I felt like I needed an epidural during labor at any point I would get one. I think it would be more of a risk of stalling labor if you had it too early or if you were induced and then had the epidural as your body hadn't necessarily been going into labor on it's own. Also, ask what pain alternatives are available other than an epidural (gas and air, other medications). You might be able to use some of those instead if the pain becomes too much.

Interesting that you can reject the shot and eye ointment, babies have to get it here. My MW did delay the eye ointment though so Isla and I could have some bonding and breastfeeding time right after she was born.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. As I said before, I would just make the doctors and nurses who are caring for you aware of your wishes. My birth did not go to plan (ie not in the hospital) but it was better than I could have imagined :thumbup:

I've been reading conflicting stories on the eye ointment. Some places say it's legally required in some states. Some say it's required in MA some say it's not. Some things say they are legally required to offer it, but that you can refuse. So will have to see I guess.

With the baby always in the room it will be harder for them to give her anything I do not want.

I've been reading conflicting stories on the eye ointment. Some places say it's legally required in some states. Some say it's required in MA some say it's not. Some things say they are legally required to offer it, but that you can refuse. So will have to see I guess.

With the baby always in the room it will be harder for them to give her anything I do not want.

Hopefully they won't make you do it. I agree that it's completely pointless (my MW thought so as well)...

I've never even heard of the eye ointment here (UK). We're offered bit K injection or drops but it's parents' choice. No hep B shot here and delayed cord clamping is becoming standard now.

I had an epidural with my first. I hadn't planned to but it was a long, slow induction so I had it after 2 days. It only worked on one side though.

Yeah not sure about the eye ointment and shots. They're the norm in my state so pretty much every baby gets them. And yes my epidural stalled my labor. I was miserable with it so am refusing an epidural this time. I plan on laboring at home until contractions are 2 minutes apart. Luckily I live down the street from my hospital lol

I've never even heard of the eye ointment here (UK). We're offered bit K injection or drops but it's parents' choice. No hep B shot here and delayed cord clamping is becoming standard now.

I had an epidural with my first. I hadn't planned to but it was a long, slow induction so I had it after 2 days. It only worked on one side though.

Delayed cord clamping is becoming more common here too; I did it with my daughter and will do it again this time :thumbup:

Everyone I know how was induced had an epidural; after being in labour for 2 days I probably would have asked them to knock me unconscious. :haha:

Greats, I hope your experience is better being at home for longer, awesome that you live so close to the hospital.

I think the eye ointment is a North American thing, a totally antiquated procedure that is still considered necessary. In a hospital here if you refuse consent for it you can be reported to Children's Aid apparently :wacko:

Yeah, I think after two days I deserved it! Was quite miffed I still had the pain on one side though!

That's really shocking that you can be reported for declining a treatment that other countries consider totally unnecessary. What it is? Antibacterial or something?

My son had a sticky eye (due to blocked tear duct) but even then they didn't suggest ointment. You're told to clean it with cool boiled water or breast milk.

The ointment is basically to prevent them from going blind from mainly the stds gonorea and chlamydia.

Just had a skim read of this page and birth plans etc.

I think I've written it before but I am hoping to be induced at 39 weeks (mainly due to our distance and time to get to the hospital). This is of course all going well with my health and blood pressure etc (induced at 37+3 with DS#1 due to high BP) and I'm walking in backwards ready for my epidural this time, can't wait to get that happening asap - hahah. Of course I will be relying on my Obs and the midwives at the hospital for their guidance and direction, I had a great experience last time and am hoping this time will be no different. ETA: my labour was about 6hrs, was 3cm when I went in and just had waters broken and drip. Had the epi when I was almost ready to push and it was the best thing ever, hence why I'm so keen for it this time.

I will have to ask about the delayed cord clamping, from vague memory last time I think it was a good few minutes before they did it anyway. DS#1 received all the tests for hearing, and heel prick Vit K etc so I will be doing that again with this one. I've never heard anything about the eye ointment?

Kyla, I Had an unmedicated birth last time, maybe that's why it only took 5 hours. So i wouldn't suggest an epidural for 1st timers. although for some women, they said, it was an amazing relief. I Was already 5cm when I went to the hospital last time. But boy, that was already awfully painful. I don't think I can be driving on my own while having that much contractions, so I will probably have to call a cab..

Thanks Mrs Eddie, Unfortunately, I am already estranged from my family, the stress they give me is just not worth it. DH family lives 12000km away, and they don't have the money to fly over here. We also can't do a homebirth as it is not covered by the public system. Anyway, I'm just psyching myself that everything will be ok. I have an ambulance membership for a 2 years now, so that might come in handy.

The ointment is basically to prevent them from going blind from mainly the stds gonorea and chlamydia.

What I don't get though is that they test for stds early in pregnancy. If you don't have them why bother giving the ointment to your baby :shrug:

Lian, totally understand why the homebirth option wouldn't work if you weren't insured. If your first labour was really fast, hopefully this next one will be even quicker!

What I don't get though is that they test for stds early in pregnancy. If you don't have them why bother giving the ointment to your baby :shrug:

Lian, totally understand why the homebirth option wouldn't work if you weren't insured. If your first labour was really fast, hopefully this next one will be even quicker!

I'm sure women lied and cheated on their husbands while pregnant and some babies went blind so now they don't take chances. They usually test once during pregnancy so if you get it after that they wouldn't know. I just want to play the lesbian card lol. Even if I was sleeping around, which I don't even have sex with OH right now hahaha, there are very few stds I could catch from another female.

Anywho, wow Wednesday! Lol. Grow baby grow!
https://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/KylaMissa22/image.jpg2_zpsl5eola5d.jpg

Wow Kylas luv to see the bump progress pics!!

Mrs Eddie was reading thru the story this is going to be my first time, delivery seems to be so scary to me but m not thinking much just wanted to know few things

1. As you said it's better to stay at home as long as we can so how do we know how much to wait?? Can we get to knw how much we dilated at home? Or is there any indication like this is it time to go to the hospital? I also want to time masked really well before going to the hospital so I don't unnecessarily be there at hospital when I am not dilated enuf

2. one my friend had a baby few months back the problem that happened with her was that she was contracting too strongly and she was not getting dilated so she had to go to the hospital and stayed there overnight in pain of such strong contractions and dialted only 2 cm which nurses said can give epidural only after 4 but it took her the whole night to reach to that stage !! What should be done at that time ??

3. Once she got epidural in the morning she got dilated to 8 then 10'very quickly but the overnight pain and stress took toll over her strength to push and she ended up having vacuum which could have gone to c section if vaccum step wouldn't have been successful but thankfully it did

For first timers let's have some tips shared !!

Born 66 days early at 30+4, the triplets arrived this morning. They're in NICU and are ventilated, but at this stage are doing as well as expected.

Alec Henry, born at 09:51 weighing 3lb 2oz, Lydia Annalise, born at 09:54 weighing 2lb 7oz and Heidi Lucia, born at 09:56 weighing 2lb 4oz.

Wow Kylas luv to see the bump progress pics!!

Mrs Eddie was reading thru the story this is going to be my first time, delivery seems to be so scary to me but m not thinking much just wanted to know few things

1. As you said it's better to stay at home as long as we can so how do we know how much to wait?? Can we get to knw how much we dilated at home? Or is there any indication like this is it time to go to the hospital? I also want to time masked really well before going to the hospital so I don't unnecessarily be there at hospital when I am not dilated enuf

2. one my friend had a baby few months back the problem that happened with her was that she was contracting too strongly and she was not getting dilated so she had to go to the hospital and stayed there overnight in pain of such strong contractions and dialted only 2 cm which nurses said can give epidural only after 4 but it took her the whole night to reach to that stage !! What should be done at that time ??

3. Once she got epidural in the morning she got dilated to 8 then 10'very quickly but the overnight pain and stress took toll over her strength to push and she ended up having vacuum which could have gone to c section if vaccum step wouldn't have been successful but thankfully it did

For first timers let's have some tips shared !!

I should preface this by saying that my labor was incredibly quick (I was lucky in that sense) and I also had a midwife who came to my home to examine me.

If you did not have a midwife you would have to rely on timing your contractions. For most people, you are in "active labor" when your contractions start coming about 5 minutes apart, (I believe that's what we learned in our prenatal class). Every person is different though so you would have to base it on your comfort level. If you were to call your hospital once you went into labor they might actually tell you to wait to come until contractions are happening every XX number of minutes before coming in.

The reason I had planned to stay home until I was 5cm dilated is because we had learned getting to that point can be a long process and our prenatal instructor (who was also a doula) and our midwives recommended laboring at home for that period. In a hospital setting you can be required to be on a fetal monitor which means that you're limited in terms of your availability move which can not only stall labor but make it more difficult to deal with contractions. Hence the reason why many people require some type of pain relief which can sometimes lead to other interventions (like your friend experienced). At home you're in a relaxed environment, can move around freely, etc.

I would say that resting when possible would be key as pushing is hard work. Also, you are more in control of your pushing if you don't have an epidural (you feel contractions more acutely) and your body very instinctively knows what to do to get baby out, which is actually pretty awesome.

As I said, everyone is different and everyone's labor is different. I had an incredibly positive experience, (water broke at 12:45 am, went back to sleep until 5 am as my Midwives had told me not to call until the morning if water broke in the middle of the night, was contracting every 5 minutes by 6 am, fully dilated by 10:30, pushed for 20 minutes, had my daughter).

I did drink raspberry leaf tea and took evening primrose oil, not sure if they helped or not. I was also pretty physically active throughout my pregnancy and did lots of yoga (I actually used a number of the poses during labor). I used the shower and bath, as well as my exercise ball, which helped when contractions were tough. I really also enjoyed sitting on the toilet :haha: I also had visualizations and positive affirmations that I repeated to help me stay focused.

I think the thing to remember is labor is not something to be frightened of, it's the most natural thing your body can do. I think it's important to have an idea about the type of birth you would like to have but understand that things can change during labor and that's totally fine.

Hope that's helpful and apologies for the novel :flower:

Born 66 days early at 30+4, the triplets arrived this morning. They're in NICU and are ventilated, but at this stage are doing as well as expected.

Alec Henry, born at 09:51 weighing 3lb 2oz, Lydia Annalise, born at 09:54 weighing 2lb 7oz and Heidi Lucia, born at 09:56 weighing 2lb 4oz.

Huge congrats Jo! You must be so pleased and they are all really good weights. You'll have to post some pictures here soon and keep us updated on their progress.

Congrats again! :hugs:

Congratulations Jo! I hope your babies progress well and their nicu stay isn't too long. Make sure you take care of yourself too. Xx

Pearly - in the UK it's generally advised that you be having 3 connections with ten minutes - regularly and painful - before going to the hospital (assuming all else is well). It's only a guide though. If you're below 3-4cm when you arrive you're normally advised to go home, although if you're in a lot of pain you can stay in for pain relief. But the options for pain relief in early labour are pretty limited as your friend found out. In early labour, walking, rotating on a birthing ball and staying active can help encourage things, but it's important to rest too as you need your energy for later on.
I found Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth a really good read when pregnant with my first. Some of it is a bit full on, but it does have great info and advice on encouraging labour to progress (and what to avoid).

Oh my goodness, massive congratulations momma!!! So happy to hear they are doing well! If and when you get a chance and if you feel comfortable doing so, post a picture for us! Xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->