**2015 August Fireflies** 90 bundles of summer Love!

Pcos is deffinatley a bummer and I know a healthy pregnancy is possible I just don't have a very good history xxx I had an early scan today and got to see my little jellybean and a heartbeat :) xxxx

I don't either. My first ended in a MMC with D&C at 9 weeks. Luckily with all my PCOS related issues I can get pregnant pretty easily it's just staying pregnant that's the issue. Congrats on your scan! It's really reassuring. I've been a lot less nervous since my first ultrasound and with my doppler so I can hear the heartbeat whenever I want. Which is usually every other day. Definitely reassuring.

Healthy & happy 9 months!

I'm teally sorry to hear about your struggles and losses ladies <3 I hope these babies are your miracles!

Quick question for you KylasBaby! When were you first able to hear a heartbeat? I have a Doppler and am just scraping past 8 weeks so I wasn't sure!

Mine came in at 8+6. I only searched for a minute and couldn't find it. Next night I searched for half an hour and found it. I've found it every time I've tried since. Sometimes just takes a while. This little one is hiding hy my placenta so it's hard to hear over the whooshing of the placenta, but I can hear it.

One thing I need to get off my chest because it's scary - even though I am sure everything will be fine. My OB called this morning to tell me that the test they ran to see if I am a cystic fibrosis carrier came back positive. My DH now needs to be tested. If he is negative there is nothing to worry about. If he is positive, the peanut has a 1 in 4 chance of having cystic fibrosis. He is getting his blood drawn after work today. I have three perfect kids but this newbie is our first together. I am not typically a worrier...I spend zero time on "what-if's" because they are truly a waste of time, strength and sanity. I am a "whatever will will be" kind of girl. That being said, it is hard to not worry when talking about the health of the peanut. Thanks for the vent.

I saw at least two of you have had this test, is it a standard test or something you've had because of family history or something? This is my third pregnancy and I can't remember anyone telling me previously about a negative test result (and I'd certainly remember a positive result). I have no family history, I'm just curious.

I thought I quoted it but apparently not, but I meant to reply to whoever (lavender??) was really, really sick. If I remember right, she said it was her first pregnancy and the illness was making her reconsider having any more.

I was another one that was really sick the first time. I was about 130 lbs (at 5'7") and the ms hit at almost 10 weeks. It lasted until the 6th month and I could hardly keep anything down. I lost 15 lbs and didn't gain any of it back until that 6th or maybe 7th month. My second pregnancy? I can literally count on my fingers the number of times I was actually sick. Besides the random bouts of nausea that cleared up by the time first tri was over, the only thing that triggered my gag reflex was brushing my teeth, so I had to be careful there. My two pregnancies were worlds different. While some women to have ms each time, my understanding is it's far more common in first pregnancies.

Are you talking about the Panorama test? A friend of mine had it done, that's how I learned about it. She made it sound like its for women over 35 since some Drs consider that "high risk". That's why I'm hoping I'll get it too. Or if you have a family history of certain illnesses, you could also get it. Sounds like Kyla's dr is just being very nice lol (lucky you).

Www.panoramatest.com

I'm a high risk pregnancy (I have moderate-severe Crohns) and I was never offered this panorama test. I had the normal 12 week nuchal scan and the genetic blood tests. Is this a newer test?

I'm a high risk pregnancy (I have moderate-severe Crohns) and I was never offered this panorama test. I had the normal 12 week nuchal scan and the genetic blood tests. Is this a newer test?

I think it's more for older mommies, as the risk for certain syndromes increases with age.

One thing I need to get off my chest because it's scary - even though I am sure everything will be fine. My OB called this morning to tell me that the test they ran to see if I am a cystic fibrosis carrier came back positive. My DH now needs to be tested. If he is negative there is nothing to worry about. If he is positive, the peanut has a 1 in 4 chance of having cystic fibrosis. He is getting his blood drawn after work today. I have three perfect kids but this newbie is our first together. I am not typically a worrier...I spend zero time on "what-if's" because they are truly a waste of time, strength and sanity. I am a "whatever will will be" kind of girl. That being said, it is hard to not worry when talking about the health of the peanut. Thanks for the vent.

I saw at least two of you have had this test, is it a standard test or something you've had because of family history or something? This is my third pregnancy and I can't remember anyone telling me previously about a negative test result (and I'd certainly remember a positive result). I have no family history, I'm just curious.

The cystic fibrosis carrier test? My OB tested me for it bc I have French Canadian ancestry and she said they are prone to carry it. I was negative, but very good to know.

Are you talking about the Panorama test? A friend of mine had it done, that's how I learned about it. She made it sound like its for women over 35 since some Drs consider that "high risk". That's why I'm hoping I'll get it too. Or if you have a family history of certain illnesses, you could also get it. Sounds like Kyla's dr is just being very nice lol (lucky you).

Www.panoramatest.com

Yup. She's pretty great! She offered me pretty much every genetic screening test. We did most except for one which my chances were pretty slim and it wasn't covered by insurance so I'll do it only if further down the line it's necessary. I think she also offered me so much because I had a MMC in March and was trying to see if maybe I have a genetic issue? Or she's just really nice. Either way I'm happy to drive the 45 minutes (without traffic) to see her. I also have PCOS so that puts me at a slightly higher risk for issues.

It is relatively newer. Last couple years or so, if that.

The cystic fibrosis carrier test? My OB tested me for it bc I have French Canadian ancestry and she said they are prone to carry it. I was negative, but very good to know.

In Illinois it is not standard to test the mom but it is in the standard newborn screenings after baby is born. I had never even heard of cf until the doctor was sure my daughter had it and had to have the test. Even though she came back as just a carrier we even had to go through genetic counseling, it was crazy!

I was screened for CF at 12 weeks - maybe because I'm high risk. I'm 34, going to be 35 at the birth. Wonder if that classifies me as an old mom!

I was screened for CF at 12 weeks - maybe because I'm high risk. I'm 34, going to be 35 at the birth. Wonder if that classifies me as an old mom!

Didn't mean to offend with the old mom comment. If you're old, so am I...I'm 34 too and will be 35 in May :flower: Just seems like 35 is the age that they use to make it sound like you are 100 years old and having a baby.

Haha no offense taken. Just odd to think that at my age, doctors consider me "old." Haha!!

Haha no offense taken. Just odd to think that at my age, doctors consider me "old." Haha!!

No kidding. What exactly happens when the clock strikes midnight on the day of your 35th birthday that makes you so much more high risk than the day before? I guess it's just a general number. Seems odd when so many women I know are purposely waiting to have their first child around this time.

Is the panorama test the same thing as the Harmony test? A mom-acquaintance of mine had that done because she's 'old enough for it now' so she figured why not? I'm not sure what was included on the test, but it did tell her the gender by like 12 weeks (a baby girl, after having two boys!). I doubt they'll offer me the panorama test, I'm not considered high-risk and I'm 29.

My first appt is tomorrow finally. It's with a cnm and not my OB. When I called last week he was booked up until the 28th and I was anxious to not have to wait anymore. I'm expecting just a basic weigh-in/blood pressure check, pee in a cup, maybe a blood draw and basic exam. I imagine being past 10 weeks already, they'll try for the HB on the dopplar, but I have a tilted uterus so they've never been able to hear it that way at this point before. The last two time I started off at different practices and when they didn't locate the HB, we went to the u/s room and did a quick scan. But the office I'm going to tomorrow is a satellite office and they don't have an u/s there. When they plan scans, they either book you at their regular office or they make you an appt with the clinic next door. I dunno if they'd just walk me over next door like that or if I'll have to go back another day. I hope I don't have to wait any longer, I'm so impatient!

Naturally, now tonight we're having our first snowfall of the month, only supposed to be like 2 inches but I live in a pretty poor, rural community and they don't really do anything to the roads. No salt, just sand on the hills and eventually they get around to plowing most of the roads. The dr's office is in town, so that'll all be done quickly, I just hope I don't have trouble getting off of my hill!

(sorry for being so wordy!)

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm another "old mom" who will be 35 when baby arrives! (And no I'm not offended, LOL). Pretty sure I'm getting the panorama test too but because of the stupid laws in Canada they won't be allowed to tell me the gender until 20 weeks or something. :-/

I've been feeling kind of crappy these past few weeks (no morning sickness though) but today I went back to bootcamp and now I feel a million times better, both mentally and physically! I haven't been riding my bike either because it has been unusually cold here and I'm not allowed to go to Bikram yoga any more....I had forgotten how quickly I circle the crazy drain if I don't workout..

Luckily bootcamp is back on for 3 days a week, it has *finally* warmed up so I can ride my bike again, and pre-natal yoga starts on Sunday! :happydance:

Hope everyone else is doing well, or at least hanging in there.

No kidding. What exactly happens when the clock strikes midnight on the day of your 35th birthday that makes you so much more high risk than the day before? I guess it's just a general number. Seems odd when so many women I know are purposely waiting to have their first child around this time.

This strikes me as funny too! Plus where I live people tend to wait until they are older to begin with...I've known plenty of new moms in their early forties.

Didn't mean to offend with the old mom comment. If you're old, so am I...I'm 34 too and will be 35 in May :flower: Just seems like 35 is the age that they use to make it sound like you are 100 years old and having a baby.

:rofl: I guess I'm in the "old" Mom club too, I'll be 34 when this baby is born...

Wow did I miss a bit load today!
I was MIA for my proper appointment, the standard run down, but got to get really in depth with my OB about all this new genetic testing and starting talking vbac a bit too. So she said the first test was maternity 21, which you do need to be 35 for, but that you do not need to be 35 to get the harmony test. I asked her about panorama and she wasn't familiar. I've compared the two this evening and I think panorama tests for more abnormalities so I'm calling my insurance tomorrow to see what the costs will be for me and to make sure they go towards my deductible.
A few things of note were:
1- doing this test replaces the 12 week scan (so more accurate results but lose a scan)
2- she said this is the biggest improvement in OB care since the invention of the Pap smear

Yup yup old club here too. I'll be 37! So what could I say to the dr about this test. Is it most definitely called the panorama test. Or possible other names. So it tests for gender and multiple genetic defects ? Just so I can explain what it is in case the panorama is not a universal name.

Also, I found the panorama site super helpful. There are also a few other tests that of similar things and you can find them on the site too under the compare section.
I think I first starting hearing about these tests in spring of 2013.
They also said some of the abnormalities have nothing to do with the mothers age so that felt reassuring. I'm turning 33 next month.

Here's done reasons you can give you doctor according to panorama-

I will be 35 years or older when my baby arrives.
I have a family history of Down syndrome or other chromosomal issues.
I have had a previous child born with health issues.
I have had a previous miscarriage(s) and am concerned about the health of my baby.
I am excited to know the sex of my baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->