• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

40+ and Trying for 1st? Join in!!

Hi can anyone help im 37 and trying for my second baby my first child is 16 my husband has a very low sperm count and we were told it would be almost impossible to concieve we have used a trusted sperm donor 3 times but with no success but i think im confused with ovulation time i have a 26 day cycle i have checked around day 14 as i thought it was that but now i have read it could be earlier i had a home fertility test and my fsh level was okay can anyone help please

Get some cheap internet opk's and test through the month. I am trying for a second and it's amazing the difference when we actually ovulate. Wishing you lots of luck.

Jean--I hope you are able to work it all out. Yes, I like Dr. Kiltz's philosophy too. Very holistic. And, I'm curious along with Terri if that text after the video is yours. I hope not, that diet & the suffering sound terrible.

Tracieben--It seems weird that you have done 3 cycles using donor sperm without knowing exactly when you ovulation. I assume you are doing this at home? I think you should do some tracking for several cycles before you try again. Use opks to predict and basal body temping to confirm so that you know for sure when you ov. Otherwise you are potentially wasting that sperm. Ideally, you would do an IUI and trigger ovulation so everything is maximized, but that can add up if you have to pay out of pocket.

AFM--just waiting... Still don't know if that bleeding was a new cycle or just spotting, I'm confused about where I'm at. My sister is having some cramping and can't figure out if its pg or AF. She's 12 DPIUI, on her 3rd IUI. I really, really hope this is it for her!!!!! She'll test on Wed if AF doesn't come, but on the last two IUIs AF has come on 13 DPIUI, so she'll know soon enough. Still driving her crazy, though.

Yes, I typed that, but it wasn't supposed to be underlined. I tried twice to post that night & kept getting errors & thought it didn't even go through. Not sure what was going on. I have to call for a consultation, I thought I scheduled one when I did the online thing, but I got a message from them saying to call to schedule. This afternoon might be the only time I got this week, I have patients every single appointment (and then some before I am scheduled to go to work) this week. Wed are usually my catch up day. I picked a bad week to go off caffeine! I am having symptoms of adrenal fatigue again, so getting off the caffeine is the first step in trying to heal that. I am also seriously stressed at work & my supervisor knows this & knows what I went through before, so I've told him flat out that I cannot do all this work and to stop adding more work. I was supposed to have a day off last week. Nope, I was there 3 hours waiting for a doctor to do a procedure where he finally did not need me, then I left and the rest of the week I had to work extra to finish up the work, so no hours off at all. I'm not happy. I am seriously going to start looking for another job elsewhere.

Jean--things sound stressful for you. Make sure you are doing something, meditation, yoga, baths, massage, etc., to counteract that stress when you can. It'll only make things worse. (This is apparently easy for me to say, but hard to for me do. Stress relief is always last on the list...)

Some of what you wrote reminds me of this story I just saw: https://scdlifestyle.com/2016/03/ho...-until-she-did-this-mc&utm_term=existing-list

Hi to everyone else!

AFM--I just got a "peak" on my advanced opks. Skipped the "high" and went straight to "peak." I'm still not sure if I've got my cycle correct. Either I'm about to ovulate really, really late after stopping estrogen, or my cycle actually restarted when I thought it was withdrawal bleeding, in which case, I'll still be ovulating pretty late. One last chance before the DE IVF!

Just heard back that the donor we want just had retrieval & they will contact her on March 14 to see if she wants to do her last cycle. Potentially only a week before we know if she'll go again. Then we need to figure out if we are first in line or second. Hopefully, we'll get her either way. The nurse seemed to think she'd want to cycle one more time, but she didn't know for sure. Feels like progress!!!

FYI, my sister got AF, not a bfp. Boo. She's doing at least one more IUI with femara. They haven't talked next steps beyond that. She has a s-i-l who's younger than her & had to do 4 IUIs to get her 1st baby (for #2 the first IUI worked). They had sperm issues, but I think my sis wants to do 4 since her s-i-l needed that many. Neither she nor her DH have anything wrong (at least that they've figured out yet), and she's 34/he's 35 or 36.

Oh yes, I know the SCD diet. I've tried every one of them out there, it all boils down to me having to avoid everything I'm reacting to and eating as clean as possible until maybe, one day, I can start adding foods back (except gluten). It might take many more years until that is possible or I might not ever get some foods back. It is what it is.

I work at a hospital and by the end of last year, we were approved a part time position for someone who does my same job. Then we got a new VP, who decided that nope, it wasn't necessary. I highly disagree! I am the ONLY one in our entire health system who does what I do and I am completely slammed with work, including the one doctor who decided to volunteer me to do work for patients from another country (they don't have health care, I get that, but I would've yelled NO!!!!). I've already done a couple sets of tests from there, then my own doctor (as in personal physician who this is her pet project) emailed me and told me I had to have this next set (54 patients) done by this Friday, all while I am slammed with a full load of patients and other stuff, which gets me behind my other work, which then has doctors calling me wanting results. Then the doctor who volunteered me (who I work for) started in last week telling me it HAD to be done ASAP. My supervisor told me to do it LAST, after all our other work was done. So, I spent 4 days in the last few weeks doing JUST this charity stuff. Then they had the nerve to tell me another set was coming soon. Ugh!

Let's back up a bit. The week this last batch of charity stuff arrived, I had taken 5 hours off that Monday (I had to go in for a potential surgery that I was never needed for). When the charity stuff arrived, I had to spend over 4 of those hours sorting through the box, getting things in order, writing down all patient info (that was written on Ziploc bags in Sharpie), then start processing 48 of the 54 tests. I finished the last of them the next morning. I decided to take off one day a week for the rest of the month of March. I DID get almost 7 hours off last week and I am off today and have to be off to go to the cardiologist in another town next Wednesday. I had been trying to get hold of my personal physician (the one with this charity project) or her nurse to get my records sent over to the MFM so I can get my pre-conception counseling so I can move forward with another FET (both places I've consulted are requiring it plus the cardiology ok, which I can get next week). I left that message 3 WEEKS ago and NO ONE called me back! I finally had time yesterday morning to fax a written notice to do the exact same thing, which has to be done before Friday, when my doctor is going out of the country for this charity mission. I had used the CNY form to contact them for a phone consult and a nurse called back on my home line while I was at work & left a message, probably 2 weeks ago. I finally had time less than an hour ago to call them to get this done, so now I have to wait 2 more weeks+ for the phone consultation. I feel like an entire month was wasted on me waiting on my RE to finally give me the brush off (tons of not returned calls, finally returned my email saying what happened with all the donor embryos not surviving) and yet another month of being swamped at work. I'm extremely mad! I was trying to get all this done before my supervisor goes out for surgery for 8-12 weeks, but now I will have to do it & he agreed that I need to do what needs to be done & not worry about it. I do have the vacation time, it's hoping that all this works slows down enough so I can actually do it. I think a couple weeks were just us catching up from a couple of nasty snow storms, but not sure why it's been so bad. So much for that new VP saying we weren't doing enough. Jerk. He needs to come do my job. He wouldn't last an hour. Oh, and my supervisor is so mad at the whole place that he wants to quit and have me become the new supervisor. Um, no, I don't want to be here anymore, let alone do that job along with whatever they will still make me do!

When I had my FET last year, a friend of mine invited herself to stay at my house 2 weekends in a row. My house is a disaster & I had to move heavy boxes of books & other stuff, plus move a couch around & clean a ton to make it halfway decent for anyone to even see. Then she had the nerve to say stuff about it after I specifically told her not to plus she was sick as a dog. That stress combined with the work stress is one of the reasons I think my pregnancy wound up so strange. This is supposed to be someone who is like a sister to me, but she has only contacted me when she needs something in the last couple of years. First was this place to stay at Thanksgiving (never once asked or I would've said no). Guess what holiday is coming up? She is trying to contact me again to stay while taking her son back & forth to his dad's house for Easter break. I sent her a facebook message (because I left my phone off for a reason) telling her to not bring her drama to me, I don't have time for it. I will NOT do it again.

Ok, so that's my update. Vonn, I hope you get the donor you want! The waiting is the worst.

I finally let all my coworkers know how mad I am at them pushing THEIR work onto me when I have my own work to do. I looked at our calendar for this month (last month was the same way) on just one machine we are supposed to share duties for. I am scheduled for 8 days this month. Another lady for 6. The two who are the "super users" only 3 and 2 days, then the last one only has 1. Fair? I think not! The other lady who does 6 days & I BOTH noticed this trend last month & counted out how many days we are each doing the job. I did 9 days last month, she did 8. Yes, we ALL have more of our regular work to do, but this additional stuff is just too much. I have asked to stop doing the patients all together or to give it back to the techs who are really supposed to do it, but the people in charge refuse. That's when I said that there are 3 appointments per day (unless there's an emergency) and there are 3 of us who are trained to do it. It's only fair for us to EACH do 1 when we are fully booked like this. The one girl (who only does the 1 day this month on that other machine) was really ticked off about it. She did barely 1/2 the work for the first patient each of the last 2 days (after calling my office to see if I got to work early), then called me to come finish it, when I have my own work piling up. The other girl actually shut up & did the second patient without a word. However, I was still left with ALL the paperwork that needed done from 3 days worth of patients! I am so over this place. The one said it would be the same anywhere else I go. Um, NO! I would ONLY have to do my main job & not the other 2 side jobs that were pushed onto us that is my biggest time killer. Next week is SUPPOSED to not be so bad because we blocked patients off most of the week. We'll see what happens. I run that machine 2 days out of 3.

So, after coming home yesterday, I started looking up meditation videos on YouTube. I found this one that is my favorite. Warning: it is adult in nature, bad language. And hilarious!

https://youtu.be/dvC4Yu3ILUc

Only good thing this week: I FINALLY got my refund check from the Bravelle! That will go towards whatever I do next. Now I have over $4000 (check plus my health savings account from this year) saved up. Still need quite a bit more. Still haven't finished the taxes, so might get a little from that (not sure how people get thousands back, they must have 4 kids or something, even all the medical bills I paid out of pocket for don't add much to it).

Jean- I'm so glad you spoke up about your workload. It's tough but I would definitely start looking. It will make you feel better even to look whether you apply or not. Can your bf help you with costs? He's kind of part off this process too, right? Maybe his insurance can help. :shrug:

Vonn- I'm happy that your donor may do another cycle and that you are first on the list. At this point you know I'm living vicariously through you guys. I just hang around. Sad but true. I'm making the most of my childless life. Oh, and I think my sister and I are going to run our marathon in Minneapolis this fall (October). We can meet up if you want. I would be so happy if we can make that happen. After the race would be cool. I'll definitely keep you updated.

Jean--Well, you are dealing with some serious work stress. THank goodness you a doing some meditation. That one you linked to is super funny! Take good care of yourself.

Terri--I'd LOVE to meet!!! Fun! I know lots of people who've done the Twin Cities Marathon, it's supposed to be a really nice one. I'm assuming that's what you'll be doing? What is "your site," btw? Ooooh, fun!

AFM--Still no word on whether the donor will go one more round. But the nurse has couples lined up for her, so I wish she would get back to them and just put us out of our misery. GRRRRRRRRRR. I am annoyed and DH has practically given up. And I just got AF -- I just want to have a next step. I emailed the nurse today but didn't hear anything.

Vonn-I updated my post. It was supposed to say my sister and I. Oops. Maybe I was on my phone or doing too many things at once when I posted. I'm not sure if the marathon is Twin Cities or not, but I know it's in Minneapolis. I have to confirm with my sister that she is actually signing up. I've been screwed over by her in the past because of her selfish husband, so I don't want to fall for something like this again when I prefer to stay close to home and not spend an arm and a leg on running. :nope:

It's funny you mentioned the donor hasn't gotten back to the nurse, but I'm sure she's in her 20s, so would you really be that concerned with contacting the nurse about your eggs? I guess she doesn't realize how many people are desperate for her goods, but she's probably a fun loving girl just doing this to make some extra money. hee hee. I am PRAYING she responds soon though and that's great that you are first on the list. I can also understand how your hubs is just OVER all this drama. It does take a lot out of people, men and women. Sorry AF is here. :hugs: Your next step will be here before you know it. :flower:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and new to the whole TTC.. I just turned 44 and yes, trying to conceive for the first time... odds are stacked against me but I'm really hoping to be successful...

your messages here I've read so far is encouraging.. *hugs to all*

I finally got a phone consultation on Thursday morning. I have done everything they require except the MFM, which is April 13 (I had a difficult time getting my GYN referral & records sent to MFM, things were faxed but then missing). I went to cardiology appointment a week and a half ago & got that approval sent. Now waiting for finance and the nurse to call me so I can see what I need to do next. I assume bloodwork. The doctor did mention since I had the loss and have an autoimmune issue, that we do the infusions (he would rather I do weekly intralipids even though I have the issues with eggs and soy, especially soy, but I want the every 2 to 3 weeks IVIG, which would need insurance approval, costs $3000-$5000 per infusion, ridiculous), take baby aspirin (I already bruise really easily from my beta blockers), and take another new medication that's for those of us with a gut inflammatory problem (I have to google it, never heard of it). So, it's a start.

Oh no, OH bailed on me last year, so no $$ help. The closer I got to FET, the more he pulled away. I told him I wasn't going to put up with his crap and that's that. He has tried to contact me a couple times, but really? So immature. I don't have time to put up with that. I already knew he was being super flaky going into this, so I'm not surprised. One day, maybe he'll grow up.

Hi everyone!

I'm 43 and trying for my first child. I was married before but never had a child with my ex. As I was really overweight in my 20's and 30's, I decided to lose weight. I lost 320 pounds, divorced, met and married my current husband. Before starting our journey to try to conceive, I had a complete check up including my hormones and turns out my body is producing hormones of a 30 yr old! :) (My cycle was stalled for over 15 years). The doctor stated I was clear. We tried this month as I had a chemical pregnancy last year. All signs are pointing that I am pregnant but not I haven't tested yet.

Hi everyone. Just popping in to spy on the last 5 pages or so and see what everyone's up to.

pussycat I am crying, literally crying, so overjoyed for you. You have got to be the greatest success story on the entire board.

no news from me, still trying.

I think I've really lost my ambition to check in regularly nor to post anything. it has become too draining for me and puts me in a negative mood. I will pop in every now and again. Take care everyone, I wish you all the best.

Hi, kaysbc! Good to see you pop up here. It's gone pretty quiet, not too many of us at it right now. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. If the boards don't bring you comfort and encouragement, then you shouldn't spend too much time here, you are right to recognize that. I wish you all the best and hope you are totally recovered from your accident and feeling well on that front. Take care, my ltttc friend, and love yourself. :kiss:

Jean--anything new happening?

Canucksfan & wpg--not sure if either of you come by anymore, but hello and welcome! We need some more action on this thread to keep people coming back to it (I am guilty of not checking it myself), so feel free to continue posting. Any new developments?

Hey there, Terri!

AFM--I am currently in a donor egg ivf cycle, though I just realized I have been taking the wrong dosage of Lupron for all 8 days I have been on it. I've been injecting 5 units, not 10. I am trying not to totally freak out about it. The instructions in my portal were for 10, but the actual medication says 5, so I didn't double check and just now saw the error. This is not good for my emotional state! I called the clinic and she seemed to think I haven't totally ruined my chances, but I will need to connect with my regular donor recipient nurse on Monday to make sure. I go in for baseline labs and ultrasound Monday, so I'm sure things won't look like they are supposed to. D@mnit!!:growlmad:

If the cycle can be saved, we have a tentative egg retrieval day for our donor on May 16, so we will need to fly across the country by that date and stay for 7-8 days. I hope I haven't ruined things!! I'll know more on Monday afternoon, feels like a longggg ways away.

wpg, way to go on losing that much weight! That is so amazing! Any tips for someone wanting to lose 50 pounds? I've been up and down since I was 8 years old.

In 24 hours from now, I should be done with my hysteroscopy to look at my troublesome fibroid and my GYN wants to do a D&C while we're there. I just found my EKG sheet from last month & I HAVE to call the cardiac nurse because it is telling me I have something that can cause sudden cardiac death, but that is crossed out & normal written above it. Huh? My Chart never added my EKG or Echo from last month, so I'm not sure what is going on. If I have something that requires me to get a pacemaker, I NEED to know that! I know I have very short episodes of fibrillation from time to time (had one last week, lasted a minute, it's where your heart races), that's why I'm on a beta blocker and why they doubled the dose at that appointment last month. I need to know if my heart is ok to go under anesthesia tomorrow morning!

So, the RE coordinator/nurse called me back finally & said I needed only one blood test (got it done) and a hysteroscopy to look at the little fibroid. I had to call a favor in to my GYN a couple weeks ago and here we are. I got squeezed in first appointment of the day & before she does 2 longer surgeries. It's going to be MUCH cheeper for me to get it done here, In Hospital System Network where I already met my deductible, so 10% of the cost, add in employee discount & prompt pay discount for paying day of surgery, about $330 for the actual surgery, add in GYN fee and pathology fee for the biopsy, not sure if anesthesiologist is included or not. It was going to cost me about $2000 to go to NY to have it done, not to mention gas to get there & back, hotel, plus paying for someone to go with me. I don't like that everyone I work with is going to know about it because we do the pathology part, but it is what it is. I have my list of 5 frozen egg donors ready, so as soon as I get the go ahead, I can make my downpayment.

Oh no Vonn! I would think 5 of the Lupron would suppress you sufficiently. I don't have my paper from when I did it last year by me, so I can't remember how much I used. Is Ally your nurse? I heard her voice mail last week saying she was off until today. I need to ask her if my GYN contacted them about the hysteroscopy & if it's ok to do the D&C and if I need to take any other meds after.

Good luck , Jean. Yes, Ally is my nurse. She is back today & responded to my frantic message ab messing up the Lupron. She thinks it will be okay and it looks like everything is quiet. I just finished my ultrasound.

Hi everyone. I just found this website tonight and this is my first time posting in any forum but it seems like this is a good place to start. Fortunately my doc says that my reproductive system is typical of a 41-yr old, unfortunately my doc says that my reproductive system is typical of a 41-yr old ;) I am TTC #1 and am still trying to use my own eggs at this point. I am on the calendar for IVF #1 egg retrieval in August (2016). Recently I did a cycle with Menopur injectables with a HCG trigger shot then had to skip a month since the doc found a very large fluid cyst (which fortunately went away on its own!). This month I did a cycle with Clomid with an HCG trigger shot. My TWW ended today but I started spotting three days ago (mostly dark brown), still have yet to get flow but also still BFN with home test. If I don't get flow by end of week I will get blood test for pregnancy. Doc says the cysts throw off all hormones and I have read that Clomid can cause a late cycle so I'm not rushing in to get tested. This will be my last month TTC with chemical intervention (hoping for no cysts so I can try high dose injectables but won't know until my ultrasound after I finally get full flow). June, my system is getting a break and we are trying au-natural once again (you never know, I have a few good friends who were TTC for years and got BFP the month prior to IVF so fingers crossed & sticky baby dust right). Then in July the doc starts me on a regimen to prep for the August egg retrieval. I would love to hear some of your experiences since all of my friends with infertility have all had babies at this point so I'm feeling a little on my own. The daddy-to-be is SUPER supportive and obviously in the same boat but he is always so positive about everything (which of course I appreciate!) that sometimes I just need "real-talk". Thanks for reading!

I made it through the hysteroscopy & no polyps or fibroids sticking out, so I'm good to go once I fax this last blood test result over. I have to wait for AF so I can get ultrasound & bloodwork, but the big things are out of the way. We are going to start getting my meds together. I have Lupron, estradiol, Crinone, and progesterone suppositories plus one pack of BCP left. My autoimmune drugs are going to be pricey.

Sarafina--welcome and good luck! This place is the place for real talk (see my update below), so you'll have no problem getting that here. Glad you have a supportive husband.

Jean--glad the hysteroscopy went well. On to the next step!

AFM--I've got terrible news: my cycle has been cancelled. :cry: Turns out, a couple decided to use my donor's frozen eggs and chose to have them genetically tested. It came back that the donor is a carrier of a genetic disease. They wouldn't tell me which one. She apparently did not know this. Now that the clinic has this information, they can't allow her to cycle this last time, nor can anyone use her frozen eggs. I am devastated and in shock. I feel like I have been punched in the gut. Even though I get older every damn day, this experience of pregnancy and motherhood just doesn't seem to get any closer. I am grateful that I found out now. I can't imagine the anxiety of receiving this news once pregnant. Probably about a dozen pregnancies have happened with her eggs, so I'm sure those people are even more heartbroken. She was our number 1 pick by a long shot. I hate the idea of having to go back to look at 2nd and 3rd best, etc. I need to just grieve this and be sad and pissed off, not try to plan the next step immediately. :cry:

Oh no Vonn! I AM glad they found that genetic disease, such a shame they didn't know about it before this young lady donated so many eggs. I sent Ally my list of 5 donors and will see what she tells me about them. I was trying to carefully look at family history, but sometimes things get missed by the person, either they don't know full family history or they forgot something. Amazing what the genetic testing can find out. So, do you have to stop the Lupron and everything right now? If you haven't used much of the Lupron in the kit, you might have enough for a second cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->