40+ and Trying for 1st? Join in!!

Jen, I'm so sorry AF arrived! It's the worst feeling :( But I do promise that in a few days you WILL feel better and be ready to catch that egg again. It's good that you guys talked about a plan b and agreed on one. I wish adoption were an option for us, but it's just too expensive here, and I've been told that birth mothers are more likely to not pick us because I'm over 40. It's not fair!

Kat...mine was at "high fertility" today it was a flashing smiley. I have the digi clearblue and if I have to use them again, I'm only buying these. So it's good, should get 2 more days of smiley's and then it's wait and see. Let me know when you get your :).

Kat, the doc on the podcast said that 2 1/2- 3 months is when they saw dramatic changes in egg quality & embryo quality. Which is why his clinic now asks people to change their diet & then do IVF 2-3 cycles later. It makes sense bcos 3 months is the life cycle of an egg. U should def find the pod cast & listen, I found it very motivational & positive.

Jen, it sucks when AF arrives, but Kat is right- in a few days you start looking towards ur next Ovulation & focusing on next month, hang in there!

Hi guys, this morning I was on the B&B forum and one of the ladies posted a link to her TTC vlog on YouTube. I watched her videos and loved them! She was just chatting about OPKs and such, and it was so nice to see a face and hear a voice to go with the great support we find here on the forum.

I was inspired. She is very young (only 20) and I got to thinking I could do something similar for the over 40 crowd. I'm camera-shy and tend to get bogged down in planning/paranoia, so before I could psych myself out I just did it. I made a little outline, figured out how to record with my webcam, and posted my first vlog.

If you want to check it out, here's the link https://youtu.be/uGYhKkTRS7E

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Here's the second video:flower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjzV6ruKSrM

I've just watched both your videos and they're great! So nice to put a face to these posts. So many things you have said ring true for me. At the same time you are so right, each of us is on our own journey and that's different for every person and for every cycle.
I was convinced if ovulated before my IUIs but they assured me I hadn't, I think it's natural to fear that as its drummed into us that timing is critical. Having the insemination at 24 hrs has got to be better than too late, remember those little swimmers can survive in there for 7 days so they're just waiting! Good luck with the 2WW, keep us posted with your progress!
I'm off for a day 12 scan, really hoping there's going to be more than 2 good follicles there. Not expecting EC this week as with each cycle I've always gone a week later than the norm (but of a pain as it means more meds = more money).
Kat and Bash, good luck, critical times for you ladies, keeping everything crossed (though I hope you're not if you get what I mean!!).

I've just watched both your videos and they're great! So nice to put a face to these posts. So many things you have said ring true for me. At the same time you are so right, each of us is on our own journey and that's different for every person and for every cycle.
I was convinced if ovulated before my IUIs but they assured me I hadn't, I think it's natural to fear that as its drummed into us that timing is critical. Having the insemination at 24 hrs has got to be better than too late, remember those little swimmers can survive in there for 7 days so they're just waiting! Good luck with the 2WW, keep us posted with your progress!
I'm off for a day 12 scan, really hoping there's going to be more than 2 good follicles there. Not expecting EC this week as with each cycle I've always gone a week later than the norm (but of a pain as it means more meds = more money).
Kat and Bash, good luck, critical times for you ladies, keeping everything crossed (though I hope you're not if you get what I mean!!).

Good luck with the scan! Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for watching the videos and glad you got something out of it. I'm really camera shy but I find doing the videos therapeutic, so I hope I'll get more confident over time.

Stephanie, great vlog post!

Interesting about your follicle size (and YAY for two follicles!!!). The nurse always triggers me when I'm at about 16mm and I always ask if that's too small and if we should wait another day or so. They always assure me it'll grow 2 more mm before I actually ovulate and it's perfect. But I always wonder if they're just trying to fit me in when it's convenient for them as opposed to what is the best for my IUI success. Then I remember this place wins "best doc" awards every year and I should trust them, but my gut is telling me otherwise and I don't know what to do about it.

Our office doesn't do back to back IUIs at all. I'm not sure if it's an insurance thing of if they feel it's not "worth it". Glad to hear your doc says it's not proven to be "the thing" that works best. Love second opinions!

Sorry to hear you are far from your FS. That makes these appts rough. I'm lucky to be 20 min from mine. And it's frustrating when you feel the nurse working with you is inexperienced and doesn't have back up to help her. This is expensive and time consuming and we want to be offered the best care the office has to give. I'm sorry you went through that, but glad you could wait for the doc to come in.

Last night was our first try using sterile cups and a 10ml needleless syringe for at-home insemination. I was super nervous I would screw it up, but it went perfectly! I used Preseed about 30 min before, he brought me The Goods in a sterile cup, I sucked 'em into the sterile syringe (BUT I couldn't get all the bubbles out. I tapped and tried like the website said, but a bunch remained. Oh well. I don't think it's a big deal.), then I injected and lay in bed for about 30 min with my hips elevated on a pillow. Then we went to sleep. I didn't use the Softcup afterwards because I was afraid some swimmers would get caught outside the cup and get blocked from going on their journey to the egg! Nothing seemed to leak out anyway, so it's fine.

I was afraid I would have a short ovulation period because of my age. I expected one day of High-fertility "blinking" smiley and one day of "peak" smiley, but this morning I got a second day of blinking smiley like the graph shows! I think that's good news :) I was reading the thread called "At-home Artificial Insemination - HOW TO and success stories" here on Baby+Bump, and most women said they had success when the inseminated 2 days before O, so if I get a "peak" smiley tomorrow, that's perfect.

Man, that thread has my hopes up. I know this can work, but I have to remember I don't have a lot of viable eggs, and I might not drop one this time. I wish I didn't get my hopes up so much and could just relax. However, I'm just so excited to try without the fertility doc and pray it works this month at home. It would be so great to call them and say "I'm pregnant without your help!"

Good luck Kat FX'd!!!!!

I still have the blinky smiley. Not sure what's going on.

Gosh Kat - it's all happening for you!!! Good luck to you!! One day at a time - positive thoughts being sent to you. xx

Sooooo - AF came 5 days late - burserelin does that apparently - makes it come late or early!!! I was climbing the walls and eating chocolate as I was going loopy!!!! But finally - it came - so I have my down reg and trial embryo transfer next Tuesday!

Just happy that I am going onto the next stage - getting very impatient by it all!!!

Hope everyone is okay - lots of baby dust and positive thoughts to you all! xxx

Emmi, best of luck! keep us posted of your progress. I am still waiting to start my IVF next cycle so will be reading your updates with interest.

Thank you!!! There's so much waiting involved as I am sure you have gathered!!! Lordy - you need the patience of a saint!!! But we're all here if you have any questions:flower:

Emmi, good luck! Are you long protocol or Flare (guessing long by what you've said). It's really not so bad, like you say the waiting is the worst bit.
Briss good luck when you get going!
Kat, that threads got some really inspirational stories on it, I used to post on there before we sought medical help and found it really encouraging. It does seem that every two days around Ov gives best results, guess you just have to create a great pool of swimmers!!
AFM, my last scan showed 2 really good follicles and lots of little ones, one or two of which may grow, but it's not looking great. Back tomorrow for final scan and then most likely have EC on Friday. Last time I had 4 eggs and all fertilised, so even if I have only two eggs I'm hoping for the same and that they'll be better quality eggs. My bloods are better (which apparently means that the eggs are healthy) so really hoping the DHEA worked its magic. We will go ahead even if it's only 2 as its not likely to get any better. I don't even want to think about failure, I know this is my last chance to have a baby that is biologically 'me'. I really need all the good vibes you guys can give me. xx

Good luck Kat FX'd!!!!!

I still have the blinky smiley. Not sure what's going on.

I heard some people get the blinking smiley for up to 8 days!! What's up with that?? Someone said it starts blinking when your estrogen level goes up but doesn't do the solid smiley until the LH goes up. However, I'd be so surprised if mine was still blinking past Thursday. My cycles have never been long and though they give me the trigger shot, I do ovulate on my own. Kind of hoping for a solid smiley tomorrow for the both of us.

Pussycat1, two follicles is really good! I still hope that one or two more pop out and sprint ahead, too. You're only a few days away from EC!!! :happydance:

Emmi, good luck next Tuesday and keep us updated!

Thank you all!!! xxx

Pussycat - I know we hear it all the time - but it really is about the quality and not the quantity. I know it's so easy to say it but keep positive - I am sure that there is something in us as humans that react to being positive - kind of mind over matter! Hope that doesn't sound too bonkers - I am sure staying positive releases lots of great chemicals through the body that helps us achieve things physically.

Sending you all the positive vibes to you and the universe to make things as good as possible so the magic can work.

Am on long protocol and boy does it seem long!!!!! But I can't do anything about it! Keeping my diary full to make the time pass - hair cuts, weddings, M.O.T/service for the car - you name it - I am doing it:wacko: x

Still no solid smiley for me...was still blinking away this morning...aggghhhhhhhh....sooooo frustrating. I see Doc Sr. today for my f/u from all of the blood work I had done (14 tubes worth) over a month ago. Hoping for "no news". And honestly I'm not so sure I truly believe these stinking pee kits anymore. How is it that I'm getting 3 different answers. I think I'm done w/them after this cycle whether I get BFP or not. I think I did it more to see if my body was getting back to normal after the surgery and that it is. I'll update after doc's appt this afternoon. Until then let baby dust fall upon us all!

One more thing to add on about clearblue...so again, it's great to see the smiley but we're DTD e/o day as soon as AF leaves so it's good to make sure my body is working but other than that it's not like I'm waiting for the smiley to start DTD. I started reading about the home monitor which is even more pricey than the smiley sticks. Who knows what next cycle will bring but if no BFP, no more sticks for me! (I say this now at this moment, just watch I'm sure I'll change my mind.)

Bash, oh no...more flashing smileys for us both! I confirmed mine with an IC. As I poked around the internet, I found this to be a very common occurrence with the CB advanced digi. I guess our estrogen starts to climb much sooner than the kit says it does. Some women don't have a big estrogen spike and they go from empty circle directly to solid smiley. Everyone is different. I still trust the stick, though. I'm just happy it's registering I have a spike in estrogen at all. If I don't have a solid smiley by Friday, I'll start to worry, though...you can bet on that! Cause if I ovulate late but still get my period on day 28, that might mean my luteal phase is too short to hold a pregnancy. In the long run, I'm glad to know what's going on when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->