40+ and Trying for 1st? Join in!!

Kat, yes I know, it really seems like if you are willing to use donor eggs instead of your own, its a much better "risk". I was looking at that too. I think my doctor gave me fake statistics because the numbers you found are pretty common all over the web, but my doc said IVF success rate is like 30% and then using donor eggs is like 80%. sounded too good to be true.

It does also seem that most women regardless of age need more than 1 IVF cycle. So you might want to consider the package with more cycles even if its super expensive.

The donor egg idea is hard to get used to. Means giving up my dream of my own biological baby. I think I just need time to get used to it. And we have a good 6 months before we can consider doing anything, so I have time.

Hi Ladies
My clinic have told me that now I'm 43 and low AMH my chances of success with IVF are less than 5%. When we first started trying (I think I was 40) we were told 20-25%. It's true that the odds are not stacked in our favour. With regards to DE, I've been told 50-60% success rate. Given limited finances and that we have tried with my eggs and failed several times, we're currently waiting on a donor. I do know what you mean about getting your head round it, but the way I see it is this is the only way I will ever have a chance of being pregnant. There's an amazing thread on here for ladies using DE and so many positive outcomes, early on in the thread there's a lot of talk about the whole genetic thing. The conclusion is, a few cells are donated, but it's your body and live that grows those cells into a baby. It's worth a read. Its taken me 4 failed IUIs and 2 failed ICSI to get my head round this but I am here now and looking to the future. xx

Pussycat1, please don't be offended that I need to get my head around using donor eggs. That's my situation and has nothing to do with anyone else or their choices. Me? I was hoping for my own biological child, so yes, it's hard to let go of that dream. That's all.

*EDIT* LOL!! You said "I DO know..." For some reason I thought it said "I don't know what you mean..." and I thought I'd totally offended you! Oh thank god I misread it!

CD6:Follies are brewing...one on each side over 10 Right is at 10 and Left at 12 and others still growing but under 10. Hoping by next appt Monday I have lots more (still 3 more doses of meds to go before then).

Bash, those other follies could totally come out from behind! And you already have two that look to mature, which is twice as many as normal women get :) YAY drugs!

Today I am 7 dpo if my opk was accurate. Nothing to report symptom-wise.

I asked my mom how she felt about a grandchild from a donor egg, and she said she didn't care at all, that we would all love the baby no matter what. It was so encouraging to hear her say that!

Great news Kat!!! Every child is a child of God who should be loved no matter how they are brought into this world.

Great news Kat!!! Every child is a child of God who should be loved no matter how they are brought into this world.

LOL, yes agreed. I just wanted to make sure my family was behind the choice and didn't feel weird about it. Best to find out now if they didn't like it! Luckily, that wasn't the case.

Yes, Yes everyone. the choice to use donor eggs vs our own is a big one, and a personal one indeed. For me, I think I would be OK with donor eggs. Since I would also be open to adopting, the idea that the child actually needs to be "mine" biologically doesn't truly matter. It's just preferable that I get pregnant on my own with my own eggs. But I also think if the success rate is much higher with donor, then seems like a better deal in some ways.

My sister got pregnant thru IUI using donor sperm, so I already know my family is open to anything and would love any child no matter where it came from. It is so encouraging to know how your family supports you, but in the end, its your child and your pregnancy so do what feels right to you.

12 hours until follies are checked and hoping to find out a day for IUI...could it be Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday...things that make you go hmmmmm.
And then to squeeze in Christmas, our new mattress is coming Thursday, we both have to work. Never a dull moment here!!!
I baked from 7a until 6pm, my feet HURT!!! Not sure how anyone can work 12 hours at a clip on their feet all day. OUCH!

U/S and blood work done!
I have one gigantic follie (21cm) on the LEFT woohoo it's the side w/the tube. Sent me home to trigger (done) and IUI tomorrow!!!
Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas, Bash!! Best of luck for your Christmas miracle!

I got my period yesterday on 9 DPO. 9. 9??? Yeah, 9. At least it didn't show up ON Christmas. But I'm worried about having such a short cycle/lutal phase. Good thing we're looking into doing IVF with donor eggs this summer.

BEST experience w/IUI #3 today. DH had a special room which he won't stop talking about. Had movies to choose from and a medical type bed recliner LOL. His counts were great. Different doc today who was awesome. He was saying I had 2 good sized follies on the right and I was like hey how bout that gigantic one on the left, you know the good side. He was like oh yeah that's there too. But very reassuring that my left tube could sweep those follies from the right. He was sooooo positive!!! Loved him!!! He even did a sperm cheer on the way out..."Go sperm go"! LOL. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
PS, it's snowing in NY.

Bash that is great news!! Happy Christmas!!

Oh Bash what great news! sounds like a great experience and excellent chances with your follies! Best of luck to you! :)

Kat, I've had a lot of cycles with short luteal phase, getting AF 9-11 days after O. It sucks really, its something I don't understand why it happens. our bodies are always up to something, it seems.

AFM, I'm CD13 and still no sign of a positive OPK, not even a blinking smiley, which Im surprised about, since I usually get the blinking for 2-3 days before solid happy face, so if I'm going to O at all it seems like it will be really late in my cycle. Weird. Indeed, our bodies are always up to something...

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas!

kaysbc and kat...i remember over the summer, late summer my cycles were all screwy and i attributed it to the surgeries...however, now i'm back to my normal all my life 28 day cycles O'ing when i'm supposed to with another however, i'm on meds, so is it the meds? probably and not my body as i'm pretty sure menopause isn't far away for me. Chins up, we have a new year around the corner.
AFM I'm 4 dpiui...i'll test out trigger probably sunday if not tomorrow just to see where the lines are at...DH got me 3 different hpts LOL. That's what I asked for, for Christmas. Oh yeah and I'm back on the icky Crinone YUCK!!! I'm hoping after my hormone level test on Monday, the office tells me i don't need it. HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->