A little something to remember. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

housewifey

Reaction score
I love Christmas! But it makes me kind of sad how much Christmas has turned into being all about the presents. I know it's a big part of it (especially for kids) But this thread is just a little reminder that Christmas should be about family and friends, love, faith (for some, not all). When buying my daughters presents I use this little rhyme to remind myself not to go OTT

Something she wants
Something she needs
Something to wear
Something to read

Wants- is normally her 'Santa' part of Christmas, the present she looks for in the shops and asks Santa for when we visit him (might be 2 or 3 separate gifts)

Needs- what OH and I think she might need, sometimes even little stocking fillers like tights, this year it includes new pens as her Crayolas are done :(

Wear- She always gets Christmas Eve PJ's and a new outfit for Christmas morning :cloud9:

Read- we buy 25 books (2nd hand) and these are used as her advent calendar type thing, she opens one each day up until Christmas.

A bit random but last year on my Facebook more people posted photos of all the presents covering the floor and the couch etc than it did of actually happy families excited about Christmas Eve.

Don't get into debt for Christmas and be kind to others :flower:

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment! We're making concerted efforts to make the holidays about doing things together with family - so more about experiences and way less about presents.
The book advent calendar is a fantastic idea!

Very well written, lovely sentiment x

We do have our floor covered, but we have a teeny tiny house with 4 boys in so it doesn't take much to cover our floor LMAO

No, I totally get your point and its a great one to make. I really don't think present number counts. I think if you teach your children the true meaning of Christmas, the value of being around family and loved ones and how lucky we are to have any presents, then the number of gifts they have doesn't really matter.
I do go OTT by some peoples measure, on birthdays they gets 3/4 presents each usually, the rest of the year they save up their £1 a week from Grandad if they want to buy something (if its expensive we may help them out, giving them money for helping us or a target to reach and say we will make up the rest or whatever) So I save all year and go mad at Christmas.
But talk to my boys about Christmas, what its about and their favourite things and they will say being together, the music, playing games together, the special foods we have. My 7 year old has actually asked for 2 skylanders and a toblerone. Thats it. I convinced him to add "surprises" to his list.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment! We're making concerted efforts to make the holidays about doing things together with family - so more about experiences and way less about presents.
The book advent calendar is a fantastic idea!

It probably costs me about £10 and I wrap them each individually we tell her santa's elves deliver them on Xmas Eve as a countdown to Christmas and she absolutely loves it!

We do have our floor covered, but we have a teeny tiny house with 4 boys in so it doesn't take much to cover our floor LMAO

No, I totally get your point and its a great one to make. I really don't think present number counts. I think if you teach your children the true meaning of Christmas, the value of being around family and loved ones and how lucky we are to have any presents, then the number of gifts they have doesn't really matter.
I do go OTT by some peoples measure, on birthdays they gets 3/4 presents each usually, the rest of the year they save up their £1 a week from Grandad if they want to buy something (if its expensive we may help them out, giving them money for helping us or a target to reach and say we will make up the rest or whatever) So I save all year and go mad at Christmas.
But talk to my boys about Christmas, what its about and their favourite things and they will say being together, the music, playing games together, the special foods we have. My 7 year old has actually asked for 2 skylanders and a toblerone. Thats it. I convinced him to add "surprises" to his list.

yeah sounds like you have a good balance, I'm hinting towards the people who place all focus of Christmas on presents and nothing else. I love that your 7 year old wants a toblerone :cloud9:

I think a lot focus on presents here just due to the nature of the forum but its a good point to make. My fb seemed to be more focused on the Santa's been, rush to get the kids in bed rather than the family fun and staying up watching movies like we did. That said, I parent quite different from most of my friends.

We stick by this on birthdays, but we tend to do a little more on christmas. I love this rhyme.

We stick by this on birthdays, but we tend to do a little more on christmas. I love this rhyme.

You taught me this. I now use it for all birthdays and a little at Christmas too lol. You've changed my life lol x

I actually struggle to get earl to write a list. He usually sits there saying what everyone else should get and how many mince pies i should make lol. Bless him...his favourite bit us watching the polar express with daddy and hot chocolate (i just asked him lol).....oh andthe tree apapparently lol.

Lovely sentiment. Its easy to forget thrtrue messages behind Christmas with all the commercialization but a good balance makes for happy memories and real excitement. I cannot wait until December 12th...that's when our Christmas will truly begin!!

Totally agree, we have so many festive days planned for us all as a family. Some are costing a fortune, some are absolutely free but the family time we will spend together will be priceless x

Totally agree, we have so many festive days planned for us all as a family. Some are costing a fortune, some are absolutely free but the family time we will spend together will be priceless x

Yeah so many of my Christmas memories are of having Granny come to stay for Christmas (special treat since she lived so far away) jumping into my big brothers bed in the morning and talking about the day ahead and the yummy Christmas dinner we were going to have. Nowadays kids get video games and run off to their room for the rest of the day!

Completely agree.

I actually worry about the amount I buy I know for a fact a lot of mine is guilt for working so much and we do try and plan as much as we can activity wise.

This year I have got every weekend of December planned from baking and making decorations to the Polar Express and Panto (plus she is going to the Theatre in January to see a production of Frozen)!

this is the first year of complete understanding of everything and I really want it to be one of memories and not just presents (which I have cut down on dramatically this year) I want to do Elf on a shelf well, lets us say everything Christmassy this year, whether it costs or not, that is not the point.

I really want this one to be the most special :cloud9:

Lovely ideas :)

I think its so easy as parents to get carried away buying loads of presents and the little ones feel so overwhelmed on the day a lot of the time.

I know I someone that spends a grand on each child! And keeps buying till it reaches a £1000!! Madness! Each to their own I guess

I really love the book advent calendar amazing idea! Think I may have to do something like this as I really didnt want to buy a chocolate one as she gets brought one by my mum and dad and then by my grandparents so this is even better she loves being read to Aswell

Xx

Completely agree.

I actually worry about the amount I buy I know for a fact a lot of mine is guilt for working so much and we do try and plan as much as we can activity wise.

This year I have got every weekend of December planned from baking and making decorations to the Polar Express and Panto (plus she is going to the Theatre in January to see a production of Frozen)!

this is the first year of complete understanding of everything and I really want it to be one of memories and not just presents (which I have cut down on dramatically this year) I want to do Elf on a shelf well, lets us say everything Christmassy this year, whether it costs or not, that is not the point.

I really want this one to be the most special :cloud9:

That sounds lovely, I work part time and OH works full time but he works mon-sat and I work sat-sun meaning we get no days off together ever unless holidays! This means we really try to appreciate time off together and make memories then :)

Lovely ideas :)

I think its so easy as parents to get carried away buying loads of presents and the little ones feel so overwhelmed on the day a lot of the time.

I know I someone that spends a grand on each child! And keeps buying till it reaches a £1000!! Madness! Each to their own I guess

I really love the book advent calendar amazing idea! Think I may have to do something like this as I really didnt want to buy a chocolate one as she gets brought one by my mum and dad and then by my grandparents so this is even better she loves being read to Aswell

Xx

My daughter absolutely loves this part of Christmas! I'm not sure she remembers it from last year but I'm so excited to do it again this year and see her little face! :cloud9:

Yeah I know what you mean, I have those people too. I purposely do not post Santas been pictures anywhere but here because for most of the people here its part of the excitement and making us feel Christmassy, for a lot of people on social media sites like facebook, its about showing off.
And I don't know where you guys all are, but anyone in the UK who's watched the Royal Family, that Christmas episode where Denise say the kids have gone to Anthonys and says "its not a day for kids really is it?" Just makes me laugh so much, and the whole spending time with family thing made me think of that line.
I love that my kids, especially DS2, share our Christmas spirit and love all things Christmas. For me the present side is because I love giving people stuff and will use any excuse to buy a gift. And I think DS2 is going to be the same. He doesn't want much but he can think of loads for DS4.

Absolutely agree.

When did amount of presents or money spent dictate love or fun!? Never.

Definitely agree:) We bought more than that (I just can't get myself to minimize gifts THAT much, lol), but I think in the past we have overdone it a few years out of excitement, and I'm making a concerted effort this year to scale it back and focus more on family activities surrounding the holiday. We're going to make a lot of gifts this year for family, hoping to put more meaning into them. I think the kids will really enjoy helping with that. We're going to donate some older toys to those in need (we do this every year, actually, and the kids are great about going through their toys and telling me what is okay to give away to someone who may not have many toys). We're going to plan fun activities to do together throughout the month to get in the holiday spirit (I'm thinking Christmas light tours of neighborhoods, sledding trips, build snowman provided we get snow in December, bake cookies, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back