Advice needed re: Scan

Boomerslady

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I posted this on another thread about my scan tomorrow, but thought i'd get more advice by starting a new thread.

Basically I had a rude sonographer at my last scan, who told me I was too fat to have it at 20 weeks (before she;d even looked), told me I obviously hadnt bothered to fill my bladder, and even showed me it on screen to make a point! And then basically spent 2 mins showing me my LO on the screen.

I've got another scan tomorrow, to get the measurements properly, which I'm praying will be with someone else, (I know the scan is for them to check thigns are OK) but once they had done all your measurements etc, did they show you what was on the screen properly??

My lady just went...there's the arms, there's the legs, oh and the spine......before I knew it she'd moved the screen....I felt stupid as I didnt have time to try and work out what was what and it really upset me, plus my OH saw soo much more than me (he could see the screen while she checked things) and he came out all happy, where as I just wanted to cry :cry:

If you don't get someone else make a point of asking questions and dont move off the bed until she answers them - be firm about wanting to see things and know what she is doing and do your best not to get angry or upset.

Make sure you get her name, and if she is rude then find out who her superior is and make a complaint.

Well all was healthy right? :)

Did they not give you a few print outs of piccies?

If you don't get someone else make a point of asking questions and dont move off the bed until she answers them - be firm about wanting to see things and know what she is doing and do your best not to get angry or upset.

Make sure you get her name, and if she is rude then find out who her superior is and make a complaint.

I agree :hugs::hugs:

my 20 week scan the lady went through everything with me

Aww how mean, at my 20 week scan the sonographer made a point of pointing out every little thing, maybe it just depends who you get someone nice or some one who isn't!

Think it really depends who you get... some sonographers are very "jobsworth" and, as far as they are concerned, they are just there to check that the baby is alive and healthy... OTHER sonograohers (even though small talk and niceness may be outside of their core tasks) take real pride in their job and enjoy pointing out things about the baby to the proud new parents... A bit pot luck :nope:

Sounds like the one you had last time was in a foul mood - really wrong to be be rude to a patient :growlmad:.

Hope that you have a MUCH nicer one this time :hugs:

Good luck
QT

Everything she could see was healthy....the LO was in an awkward angle and she couldnt see his head or brain, and didnt even attempt to get me to move etc to make him move!

She said she wasnt going to bother with piccies, as there was no point!! (maybe not to her!) she told me to keep my tokens for this appointment!

My 20wk scan, the women pointed out what everything was after she'd finished.

if its the same sonographer i would ask for another and explain why, my first lady was so much nicer than the 2nd lady....the 2nd lady handed me my one cherished proper pic of my bubs and said "i suppose id better give you this". the first lady spent 45 minutes just tryna get he or she to move!!!, and gave me three lovely (altho upside down) pics of baba.

dont be shy and just say, and if its not possible to get another sonographer...simply do not move off the bed until she answers EVERY question you have, and showed you so you fully understand. and if her attitude isnt any better, id report her.

xxx

Aww hun, I'm sorry your last scan wasn't what you wanted. I think the quality of your scan really depends on the person doing it, so just hope you get someone great! Also if they are pointing out stuff to you and you don't quite see it just say "where" or "is that it?" unfortunately, some people doing the scan don't enjoy their job or are just having a bad day and want to get through it quickly, and some just don't realize how special of an experience it is to us mommies to be. I also find it helps if you have a really good attitude, even if the person is being sour a good attitude can often change their attitude too. Just don't be afraid to speak up, if you want to see more then ask! Even if they say no at least you tried.
I hope you have a great scan tomorrow!

Everything she could see was healthy....the LO was in an awkward angle and she couldnt see his head or brain, and didnt even attempt to get me to move etc to make him move!

She said she wasnt going to bother with piccies, as there was no point!! (maybe not to her!) she told me to keep my tokens for this appointment!

WTF Ok then I'd be pissed. She didn't even try to make your LO move? And no Piccies? No Point? Oh hell no. Honey I wouldn't have left and demanded to see someone else!

=(

Can you maybe afford a private scan? So at least you can go look at your baby?

My OBYN office has a telly screen above my head so when they do the scans, I see what the sonographer is seeing real time. I'm so sorry they don't have that there.

Thanks Ladies.

I always go in with a good attitude, and hope if they are moody then me being nice might make them be nicer to me (I had to do this at my 16w MW appointment, as she was in a foul mood)

She did show me stuff, but where I was craning my neck, and could barely see the screen I just couldnt work out what was what.

I think because she was so young, she couldnt care less about what i felt (I have a feeling if a sonographer is a mum/dad already, then they might be a bit nicer)

I'm going to see how it goes, and if it is the same lady agsain I'll be asking lots of questions...then if she's still rude I'll ask to see someone else.

I guess I'm worried too as my OH was born with a PUJ (basically a blocked tube in his kidney) and he had to have an op at 3 days old (he has a scar from belly button to his back) and it's really affected him I think....I would just love to see that the kidneys etc are all OK, but I could barely work out if I was looking at his bum or arm or leg!!!

WTF Ok then I'd be pissed. She didn't even try to make your LO move? And no Piccies? No Point? Oh hell no. Honey I wouldn't have left and demanded to see someone else!

=(

Can you maybe afford a private scan? So at least you can go look at your baby?

My OBYN office has a telly screen above my head so when they do the scans, I see what the sonographer is seeing real time. I'm so sorry they don't have that there.

Wow thats amazing :) I wish I could afford a private scan, but in a few months I think I'll be living off beans on toast, so I cant afford to spend the money :(

What got me, is I literally walked through the door and she said "you have to come back in 3 weeks" I was a bit dumbfounded....she sat me on the bed, and looked at me again, and went "yep definately come back in 3 weeks" I actually had to say....why? Is it because I'm a bit bigger, n she just smirked and nodded!

Fingers crossed for me ladies, as the same person will be doing a scan to check for gallstones (which i've been in agony with!), so I'll be with them for twice as long!!

Hello hon - you have to be a bit tough - I was laying down quite flatish but could still see the screen and my sonographer was lovely but skirted through a few bits quite quickly so I asked questions and asked what he was looking at and what he was checking that bit for, and what would that mean etc etc. I think once you get them involved (although obvously the twelve year old stick insect who did your last one was obviously just a bit of a thick!) you can try to get them engaged with you. Mine had me rolling on to one side to get the baby moving and try from a different angle and all sorts, to get all the angles he needed.

You hold your ground honey and make sure you get all the answers you want before you leave. Tell them you're extra worried about the kidney area and say you'd like them to check it.

Make sure you get what you want from it - its all about you and your baby - you have to push on your baby's behalf!

:hugs: xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->