AF after miscarriage- Your experiences

Caroline

Proud Mum of 4
Reaction score
So i thought I'd start this thread, as for many its unknown territory. When does AF arrive after mc, what your AF is like etc.

I'll start with my experience & will add to it every month AF arrives until it becomes regular/normal or I get a bfp.

It is a very difficult time for us all & when our bodies act in a very unpredictable way to what we are used to it makes things more stressful.

If anyone thinks it worthwhile I will see if I can get it made into a sticky.

I had a "natural " mc 9th April. Started as spooting, developing to heavy bleeding overnight & cramps early the follwoing next morning. Had scan on the 10th April to confirm.

Bled for a week then nothing for 5 weeks.
After 5 weeks had spotting on & off for 10 days. Reassured by GP that this is normal.

Period No 1.
Arrived : 6 weeks after mc
1st day normal flow.
Next 3 days got heavier to the extent that was going through a max absorbency tampon in 1.5 hrs.
GP prescribed tranexamic acid to reduce bleeding.
Period Length : 10 days

Period No 2.
Arrived: 21 days later.
1st day normal flow.
2nd day heavy, going thru max abs tampon in 1 hr.
Curently on CD4 & hoping that af will go soon & stay away for 28 days or few more but not to many (don't ask for much do I :rofl:).
Will update length when the evil hag departs.
*update CD 6 light to spotting *
CD7 - af gone :happydance:
So this cycle lasted 6 days (4 less than last month :happydance:)
Period Length : 6 days.

Lets hope she doesn't come back quite so quick this time!

*EDIT* curently on CD24 & no sign of :witch: yet :happydance: So longer cycle for me this month.

Period #3

Arrived 30 days later :happydance:

CD1 Light bleeding (praying no really heavy flow tomorrow)
CD2 Heavy flow (heavier than "normal" af, but much lighter than last 2 cycles. Super plus ev 3 hrs. Cramps.
CD 3 Medium flow in am , heavy in afternoon, medium in evening.
CD4 Light flow
CD5 Light spotting am only. :happydance:

Back to my normal 5 day cycle. Flow slightly heavier but not too bad this month. Here's hoping my body is back to normal & that bfp will not be too far away.

I miscarried naturally on February 11th at 17 weeks. I then had a D&C the following day to remove placental tissue that my body had retained.

Light bleeding for 15 days following D&C, then two days with nothing, then 5 days of spotting.

Period #1
Arrived: 30 days after D&C (March 13th)
1st day was normal flow, followed by 5 days of spotting, followed by 5 days of medium flow.
Period Length: 11 days

Period #2
Arrived: 26 days later (April 7th)
8 days of bleeding, with the first three being extremely heavy and painful
Period Length: 8 days

....Spotting for 13 days between periods....

Period #3
Arrived: 37 days later (May 14th)
7 days of bleeding, with days 2 - 4 being extremely heavy again and painful
2 days of spotting
Period Length: 9 days

....Spotting for six days between periods....

Period #4
Arrived: 33 days later (June 16th)
Currently on day 4 of bleeding, with first two being extremely heavy (bleed through a maximum absorbency tampon in 1 hour) and really painful

Great thread sweety!

Complete miscarriage - January 2009 (9 weeks)
Period returned 28 days exactly
Heavy, clotty, painful, last 7 days

Period every 27 days or so, less heavier, painful, clotty

MMC - November 2009 (12 weeks)
ERPC
Heavy bleeding erractic bleeding, painful, clotty - 10 days

Period returned 27 days after
Very very heavy, painful, clotty

Cycle gone down to average 23 days - clotty, sometimes heavy

xxxx

Sorry for your loss girls & thank you for posting your experineces.

M/c'd at 5 mths. Post partum bleeding from week 1-2. No bleeding but cramping from week 3-4. First af started with 2 days spotting then 5 days heavy bleeding from week 5-6.cramping near each ovary from week 7-9. Cramping stopped 2 days before af due. At did not show up. Waiting, waiting....

Thanks for sharing trying4#1. Sorry for your loss. Hope the :witch: turns up soon or you get a bfp.

UPDATE:

Mine is going to be a work in progress, so I'll edit my post as the days go on!

D&C at 14 weeks 6 days on May 20th
Spotted lightly for 16 days
No spotting for 7 days
Spotted very lightly for 3 days

Period #1
Arrived: 31 days after D&C
1st day was medium - heavy flow
2nd day was heavy flow
3rd day - medium flow
day 4 through 7 - light spotting.

Period #2
Started cd27.
Lasted 2 days then 4 days of spotting (6 days total)

Period #3
Started cd24
Lasted 3 days and then 3 days of spotting (6 days total)

Thanks for sharing alwayspraying. Sorry for your loss. Hope the :witch: isn't to heavy. If it is see if you can get tabs from GP.

Hi there.

Thanks for creating this thread :)

I had a mmc and D&C in april.

#1 Arrived 31 days later, relatively normal - not too heavy, lasted only about 5 days

Then CD17-21 I had some light spotting (brownish colour) - on CD35 today and still waiting so I will update when #2 finally arrives...

Kristen xxxx

Thanks for sharing Kirsten, so sorry for your loss

I miscarried on the 3rd May at 5 1/2 weeks pregnant, it started off as light bleeding which turned heavier, the 13th May onwards being very heavy with clots! Finally stopped bleeding around the 18th May when I just spotted until the start of June.

Had my first AF on June 21st which is now CD2 & bleeding fairly heavy with no real pains. Don't usually have heavy periods, so probably my body adjusting from the miscarriage!

Thanks for sharing MRs B & sorry for your loss.
1st af after mc can be heavier than normal.:hug:

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. No one can tell you exactly how long you will have to wait for first AF after mc or what it may be like but this is so helpful hearing other peoples experiences. I suffered a miscarriage on 27th May 2009 at 9+6. I haven't had first AF yet, but OH and I have decided not to wait for it before TTC as it doesn't increase chances of mc so am half hoping it doesn't come at all! I will update on here if it does though and found this thread useful!! If :witch: is going to come hope it comes soon so we can get down to ttc though I know I am going to be terrified at the first sign of another :bfp: x

Pinknpurple

I'm really reassured to hear that you have started TTC straight away I think that is what I intend to do as the first Dr I saw on Wednesday when I had MC at 7 weeks said it was the best time as you are most fertile. What advice have you been given?

xx

So sorry for your loss pinknpurple & LC.

We weren't given any advice just given a "booklet" about mc.

We didn't wait ttc, we only wiated until bleeding had stopped. We didn't get pg but in many ways I'm glad, just from a psychological point of view.

My body does seem to be gearing up for ov this month but wetjer it actually does is anothe matter. I'm hoping that it gets itself sorted this month & that next month brings the bfp fairy.

I hope you both get a sticky bfp soon.

I'm currently on CD 11 so expecting :witch: anytime from week on Tuesday. Just hoping she's a bit better than last 2 times.
Will keep posted on how it goes.

I started this thread as so many girls here seem to be in the same boat, where no one actually tell you when to expect af or even what it will be like.

Glad it has been of use to you.

:hug:

Pinknpurple

I'm really reassured to hear that you have started TTC straight away I think that is what I intend to do as the first Dr I saw on Wednesday when I had MC at 7 weeks said it was the best time as you are most fertile. What advice have you been given?

xx

I was given a leaflet about mc also and was told by the doctor that they recommend that you wait for one period before TTC simply for dating purposes as it's hard to know for sure when you ovulated after a mc. I've been assured that it doesn't increase your chances of miscarriage at all and I also wanted to take advantage of increased fertility because even though we conceived the first time we tried with the last one, I have a real fear that it's going to take me months to conceive now after the mc :( seriously hope it doesn't and I wish you the best of luck with TTC if that is what you decide to do hun. Follow your heart :hug: x x

Looks like :witch: has arrived. Seems about average for start of AF really only thing that's out of the ordinary is no cramps as yet...but that is a plus if anything! I'm not as disappointed at AF coming as I thought I would be, I know many women don't ovulate until after first AF after a mc so maybe I am one of them, will just hope that this AF is the start of my body being ready :) I will update properly at the end of AF with how it went. Hugs to you all :hugs: :hug: :hugs: xxx

:hug:hun, I didn't have any cramps with my first af, they didn't arrive til 2nd af:cry:

Hi, had mc at 13 wks in march. bled for 10weeks. finally had erpc end of may, bled heavily for ten days, spotted for next 5 days. Nothing for around 2 weeks then had a tiny bit of spotting for 1 day last week. (Am hoping this is implantation as we are already trying but not holding out much hope). So not had a period yet, but will update when i do. Strictly shouldnt be posting but just thought id say hi!!!!

**update alert**

I finally got my af on 27th July, so around 8 weeks after erpc.
Started as spotting for a few days, since then its been a constant very light flow. So that makes it 16 days. Doc reckons this is normal though. Had no pain, no af warning (i normally get growing pain like cramp in one leg lol) though I am seriously spotty this month. Today seems to have been lighter so Im hoping its coming to an end. FX'd!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->