any legal eagles?! - question...

holywoodmum

2 girls and one cooking
Reaction score
Just a pondering out loud one her, don't know if anyone will have an answer or advice...

Had booking appt on friday, but turned out GP had written wrong date on my referral letter, and the hospital thought I was 4 weeks further on than I am, hence calling me now.
So anyway, since I was only 7 weeks, they wouldn't do anything, didn't even take a history while we were there...
the question is this, we are about 80 quid out of pocket now, from DH booking time off and from sending DD to childminder (advised not to bring her to hospital due to swine flu risk)...
Have I got a leg to stand on if I wanted to claim compensation for the GPs mistake?

I think the cost of raising any legal action would be prohibitively expensive and wipe your £80 out pretty quickly. Sorry hun. XX

im not sure of the laws over in NI tbh, but i would agree its probably a no brainer due to the relatively small amount of money involved

I wouldnt think so. The amount of money it would cost to try and make a claim would be over £80 anyway, so probably a waste of time.

I agree with crypto - you would be spending thousands to get 80 quid back. Also, I doubt any lawyer would take this on. I reckon accept it is a mistake and write off the 80 quid.

it might still be worth writing a letter to the gp surgery and see if they can offer you anything for their mistake...... and perhaps say that if they do not then you may consider taking further action (not necessarily court action) i dunno its gotta be worth a go, cant loose your fight in you when they are in the wrong......x

Yes I agree with the others but I would write them a letter of complaint so that they know they've upset and inconvenienced you.

I agree that you should write a letter as they made a mistake. However, I wouldn't expect any compensation due to the bureacracy, underfunding, and understaffing of the NHS.

Agree with the others I'm afraid - you've got no hope of getting any compensation but you should definitely write a polite but very firmly worded letter to your doctor, and copy it to your local NHS Trust. Not to get them into trouble but to remind them that even simple mistakes can have serious consequences for others, even if they're not health consequences. Hopefully they'll take more care in future.

Yes, everyone can make mistakes, but if you don't tell them about they won't know!

I agree with the others im afraid and whats more.....aggravating yr GP is not really a good idea, you may need him in the future, and its best to keep them on side.

Hi there - had a quick look into this for you and event hrough the small claims court, it would cost you £150 to submit the claim.

I agree with writing a letter of complaint though - even if it simply serves to make you feel better :hugs:

aw thanks ladies, knew I could rely on you all for comomon sense and words of support!
I feel it is the sort of thing that in one sense should be pointed out, but in another is completely not worth making a fuss over as I don't want to get anyone's backs up... the GP practice is very local and was originally set up by a close family friend (although he is now retired). I think I may just mention it in passing the next time I have an appointment with the same doctor as I don't want anyone getting in trouble really, just to acknowledge mistake if that makes sense!

Hi, theres a service called PALS, Patient advisory liaison service, which has been set up to handle patient complaints. They are pretty good and will liaise with you re your options. I know someone who works for them and its the best way to go without forking out more money. Give it a go hon :flower:

https://www.pals.nhs.uk/

I agree about NOT pursuing a claim but I do think you should complain. I have had cause for complaint before. Basically, I left work early to go to the doctors, arrived on time and sat there for an hour and half, eventually it appeared there was only the cleaner and me in the building. I asked if she would check whether the doctor/receptionist was still in the building. She came back and said no they signed out over half an hour ago. I was livid. They never even checked the waiting room! The doctor was very sorry but on my next visit the receptionist was rude. Obviously, it was her mistake. Anyway, it didn't damage my relationship with the doctors but made them aware that they too make mistakes and they have now put a new system into practice to ensure it doesn't happen again. I am sure in your instance it was a miscalculation but sending the letter will make you feel better and then you can move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->