Any plus size ladies looking to minimise weight gain?

@Uni tsi: I don't know that I have much to show anyone, I just do what works for me and STICK WITH IT. Especially when I'm tired and especially when it's hard. I did throw myself off the wagon and into a carb party over the weekend (dried myself out Sunday) and am exactly what I weighed the day I ovulated (after a 5 pound fluid yo-yo that taught me a valuable lesson about the evils of carbs).
Your gym sounds great! I am also guilty of valuing other peoples time more than my own - a habit I hope we can all break before having our kids. I keep reminding myself of the wisdom in preflight messages "you must first put on your own mask before assisting others" - we have to take care of ourselves, first, IMHO.

@caz_hills: congrats on getting to the second trimester! I had similar concerns to you due to a MC in 2014 (no live births for me yet), but believe it was never anything I did or didn't do and it's out of my control whether this one makes it or not. That's basically how I 'coach' myself through the hard parts.

@Gagrlinpitt: I am not a clinical doctor, but have had thyroid problems for many years. I would stronly advise that you wait until you get that checked/ sorted before TTC. It can take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to adjust to medication and they almost never get it right the first time.

@jtr2803: I weigh myself almost daily, even while in the midst of my own carb craze, because (for me) I am less bad when I hold myself accountable. I would forgive yourself and hop back on your plan!

AFM... as mentioned, cleaning up after carb party. I did stick to all my workouts, though I missed one yesterday. It seems like ever week I have one symptom that's stronger than the rest and this week is FATIGUE. I'm grateful for a super flexible work schedule, so I can force myself through it and get there when I get there. Today is going to be a force myself through it day I feel like I weigh two tons.

Clandestine, what you say about valuing our own time is so true. But it's good to have a reminder from time to time <3

I like that you call them carb parties \\:D/ Aw man, I would love to have a carb party right now!

I had my thyroid tested this week, too - and everything is holding steady, no medication changes needed so far! It seems like every week I have one symptom that holds out more than the others, last week was hunger, but this week is FATIGUE. I have skipped half my workouts (which I think actually makes me more tired). Though only one of those skippings was my choice - the other two were my extended family making last-minute, midweek plans that I couldn't get out of! Hoping to get back to my usual workouts today. How's everyone else doing?

I can already tell I'm starting to feel like myself again though since the mirena was taken out. My doctor still wants to do a few more thyroid tests but I told her I'm going to the endo in April and I'll let them do that. My TSH with reflux to T4 was 3.75.

I hate to have to tell you this (and you aren't even the first one I've had to tell), but that's too high for TTC/ first trimester.

Please see these links:

Guidelines of the American Thyroid Association for the Diagnosis and Management of Thyroid Disease During Pregnancy and Postpartum (see recommendation 2)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3472679/

First Trimester TSH levels between 2.5 and 5.0 are associated with increased pregnancy loss
https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thy...r-patients/vol-3-issue-8/vol-3-issue-8-p-5-6/

I hate to have to tell you this (and you aren't even the first one I've had to tell), but that's too high for TTC/ first trimester.

Please see these links:

Guidelines of the American Thyroid Association for the Diagnosis and Management of Thyroid Disease During Pregnancy and Postpartum (see recommendation 2)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3472679/

First Trimester TSH levels between 2.5 and 5.0 are associated with increased pregnancy loss
https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thy...r-patients/vol-3-issue-8/vol-3-issue-8-p-5-6/

My gynecologist said the same thing which is why I have the endo appointment. They want to put me on synthroid, but my step dad who's a gyno said to just wait to see what the endo says before rushing on meds.

Hi everyone! Sounds like we are all doing well for the most part. I am very proud of us all.

I'm just checking in to keep accountability. I was 87kg when I got my BFP, 84.1kg at 6 weeks when I met my midwife (changed since then to a nicer one), 86.7kg at 13+4, today 83.9kg at 19+1 (think my ticker is ahead by 1 day).

I am eating so much better than with my other kids and way more active so feeling good about things.

The baby is SO active and it's so much easier to feel with less belly fat!

Congrats, minties! That's awesome! I don't want to admit my weight, even in kg! As of this morning, 9w3d, no change so far.

Been pushing through fatigue and windedness, but overall still good! How's everyone else?

Clandestine, I'm with you - I don't want to say where I'm starting out just the little bits I go up or down. Although kilograms does make it seem not so bad :) I am the product of American public schools, so of course I had to google conversions to figure out how much it "really" was lol

Just got back from the gym and feeling really good about things. The scale was down another 1.7 lbs this morning since last time I weighed myself. I wonder how far it can dip before my OB gets nervous? But, I think I'm getting all the nutrition I need. I think the metformin is making the difference, I'm pretty sure that just having my blood sugar under control is what's doing it. But, next week I'm officially in the second semester so I expect I'll see things move the other direction finally.

So, if I was only supposed to gain 10 lbs overall, and I lost 7 lbs the first trimester, that means I can gain a whopping 17 lbs over the next six months and still meet my goal. That seems a lot more achievable to me than the original ten pounds so I'm feeling pretty optimistic. Of course, if if it ends up being less than that (and the baby is healthy) I won't complain!

Today my regular workout pants started to feel a little binding around the belly. I guess I need to start investing in some maternity workout gear. Any suggestions on brands? I have a couple things leftover from last time but nothing I'm really happy with.

I wouldn't worry unless your OB or midwife tells you to! I wish I could lose *something* like anything. At this point, I will settle for no change - that's still better than gaining to me. I have an IRL friend who has the same LMP/ EDD as me and she's up 5 pounds already (we will be 10 weeks on Friday). That terrifies me. She's also diabetic. I am trying to encourage her to exercise. I am also very tired, but literally the only thing that makes me feel less tired, groggy, irritable is exercising.

I told my husband while we were walking our dog at the park that I am just going to keep on keeping on, even though I feel like every fat cell in my body is completely full of water. I was a 38DD, I had to order 38DDD bras. They fit perfectly - until yesterday - both the strap and cups are now too tight, WTF. But the scale is the same. I feel like my fat is swollen, if that makes sense, just so full of water and I honestly exercise two to three times a day! And I have no idea what to do about my bra situation! How have the rest of you managed?

PS totally grateful that my regular jeans still fit with room to grow.

And I have no clue regarding maternity workout gear - do you have something like an Academy, Dick's Sporting Goods or other large athletic place? I would suggest just going and trying things on and going with what feels right. I also think I remember ladies I knew on here ages ago getting belly bands for extra support later on.

Oh and it's sooo much better in Kgs! I'm also a fan of "stones" :)

Here is my all time favorite bra https://bravadodesigns.com/products/body-silk-seamless-nursing-bra?variant=14530262471

This bra is amazing because it stretches with you as you grow. Last pregnancy, I went up about two cup sizes and it just kept going with me. Get it sized to what fits now, and I predict you won't be disappointed. If you plan to breastfeed, this bra will take you all the way through. If you don't, it's also very supportive during that period of time waiting for the milk to stop coming in, without being binding at all. I am a huge fan of their tank tops too, but those don't stretch as much and I did outgrow them during my last pregnancy.

I looked online, found a few stores I might go to in person and try things on. I generally hate shopping for clothes, but I actually like shopping for maternity things. I wasn't going to buy very many things this time, but I feel like having cute workout clothes is a real motivator for me. I want to put them on to look cute, and then I think "we'll I'm wearing workout clothes might as well go to the gym" :haha:

Minties, well done!

Well, girls, after stuffing myself up with carbs for 9 weeks, I have got on the scales and have NOT put on a single kilo!

Feeling thankful for that.

As from today, my weight is 78kgs, and BMI of 28. Would love to be at this weight at delivery time (keeping in mind, that minus baby weight and all extra fluid, I should actually loose 5-8 kgs).

Also, thankfully my MS is easing up, and I hope I'll be able to keep a healthier diet from now on.

Have been reading online about Dukan during pregnancy, and it states, that you can eat protein, veg plus 2 servings of fruit and two slices of wholegrain bread at breakfast. And no pure protein days. Am thinking it sounds quite sensible and is worth giving it a go.

I REALLY want to avoid going over 80 kgs this time around!

Good luck to everybody else.
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

wombat, well done making it through all this time with no weight gain! :highfive:

I'm on carb restrictions because of GD, and the docs keep emphasizing to me that I have to eat enough carbs to avoid ketosis because that is bad for the baby. At the same time, I read your post and I thought "wow TWO whole slices of bread" and was jealous LOL I can only do one slice in the morning or it shoots my sugar up too high. By evening I can eat entire bagels without any problem, although it's still naughty.

Nothing quite like the combo of craving carbs because of MS while being on carb restrictions. I end up eating a lot of cheese and nuts. I figure, no one ever got fat from eating too many nuts. Except maybe for squirrels ...

Uni, it's hard, isn' t it?

I feel so so motived to sticking with healthy eating. And then BAM! - hunger comes!
And I feel I can eat ANYTHING carby in sight.

Cheese makes me sick though.... I am lactose intolerant, and during pregnancy it is MUCH MUCH worse! I'd love to be able to have a greek yoghurt now, but it just makes me sick. Gives me the most horrible MS ever.

Today I have a busy day at work, but tomorrow is going to be a bit easier, so I am planning on making myself a big veggie soup, with just a few potatoes, but mostly cabbage, carrots, celery... Maybe some lean chicken. Hopefully it will fill me up and won't give me extra kgs..

@Uni tsi: THANK YOU for the bra link! I will order a few this weekend.

I have a treadmill and a weight set at my house, thankfully, so I don't have to get dressed to work out! We also walk my dog at a park by my house - but in the 5AM hour - so not even birds and squirrels to see me!

I also eat a carb restricted diet due to metabolic issues, as I have hypothyroidism and have had several other hormone issues, which caused weight gain as well as mild insulin resistance.

@Wombat: I've always been told not to diet/ restrict calories or contents during pregnancy, but to simply make healthy choices of nutritious and healthy foods. Like Uni Tsi, I eat a lot of cheese, nuts, eggs, lean meat, vegetables, some fruit - and I even give in once an awhile to other things, but largely control the choices that are being made or the portion sizes when I do a treat.

And ten weeks today with no weight gain so far! And I'm only short one jogging workout this week, hoping to make that up today since it's a weight lifting day and tomorrow is my "off" day. Still on 6 day a week alternating jogging intervals or weights, too!

Clandestine - woot! way to go! What a great job! Ten weeks with no weight gain is an amazing accomplishment! I've only been managing to work out two or three days a week, but on my "off" days I generally at least get in my 10k steps.

I started out at home with a set of dumbbells. But at some point I decided to step it up a notch. I had so much anxiety about going to the gym, but my local gym offered an intro program that came with free sessions with the personal trainer. The first time I went in, I was so nervous I sat out in the car for a while and almost changed my mind and went home. Then, I saw this little old lady with a walker come out of the gym, and I thought, If she can do it I can do it!

My gym is great because it has a lot of old people and overweight people there. It really makes me feel very comfortable. It also really helped having the personal trainer sessions so I could get comfortable with the routine. I do like going better late morning/early afternoon, because I noticed after 5pm it's a slightly different crowd and they intimidate me more. But during the day it's mostly retirees and stay-at-home moms trying to lose the baby weight, so it's a very nonjudgemental atmosphere.

Then again, if I had a full weight set at home and some cardio equipment, I probably would just use it lol

wombat, sorry to hear you can't eat cheese! I have a mild allergy to milk, but not so bad as to avoid it. Oddly enough this pregnancy, I can't stand chicken so far. Last pregnancy in the first trimester it was all I could eat, now I even have an aversion to thinking about it. I've almost gone vegetarian this time around, just because I can't stand meat. I haven't had any real cravings yet this pregnancy, mostly I'm just glad to think of something I can eat that doesn't make me feel sick. I did put pineapple and broccoli on a pizza the other day which my husband insisted is a gross combination but I thought it was great, so I guess that might have been a pregnancy thing lol

Have you tried vegan yogurt? I'm not vegan (obviously) but I used to really enjoy some vegan yogurt. Might solve your craving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->