Anybody NOT having the flu jab???

I also wanted to get it because I work with little children, and I constantly have to deal with an endless supply of runny noses, coughs and sneezes lol. I have colds so often I'm surprised I've only had the flu once to be honest lol.

XxX

Not for me either for loads of personal reasons. My mom is a nurse and keeps encouraging it but my doc has not pushed the issue at all.

i'm not getting it. I don't go out much. And when i asked my midwives (i asked 2) they all pretty much said that unless i work in the general public(as in around a lot on a day to day bases) or if i work with a lot of young children, then don't bother.

I'm not getting it either. 1) it's only recommended by the manufacturers for pregnant women when "clearly needed", 2) my doctor said "I'm supposed to recommend it" not "I recommend it", 3) you still have a 30-50% chance of getting the flu anyway, 4) I've read about suspected ties between the vaccine and miscarriage, 5) it's not recommended to babies under 6 months...which I feel should include a fetus!!, and 6) it's the fever part of the flu that can cause fetal harm (and dehydration as well), so if you get the flu just keep the fever under control and drink lots of fluids. Go to the doctor if it gets worse. I feel like women are unnecessarily pressured into getting this vaccine.

I'm not getting it either. 1) it's only recommended by the manufacturers for pregnant women when "clearly needed", 2) my doctor said "I'm supposed to recommend it" not "I recommend it", 3) you still have a 30-50% chance of getting the flu anyway, 4) I've read about suspected ties between the vaccine and miscarriage, 5) it's not recommended to babies under 6 months...which I feel should include a fetus!!, and 6) it's the fever part of the flu that can cause fetal harm (and dehydration as well), so if you get the flu just keep the fever under control and drink lots of fluids. Go to the doctor if it gets worse. I feel like women are unnecessarily pressured into getting this vaccine.

I agree. I'm surprised my MW hasn't even mentioned it. They do tend to take a more natural approach than the OBs though. :)

I am not getting the flu shot as I am allergic to it. (Last time it gave me the super flu type thing and I was sick for literally months on end with no relief.) Needless to say I will not be getting the shot again.

Husband got the shot last month and it gave him the flu. Two days later I was sick and wound up in the ER, because of severe dehydration from throwing up and not being able to keep anything down.

So nope not getting the shot. Pregnant or not. It is more hazardous for me to get the shot than to not get it. (and baby too while she is inside of me.)

Not getting it either! Never have, never will. Never had the flu either.

Nope! Doctor Started basically yelling at me for telling her no. My parents both got it, hubby is getting it so why should I? I don't like injecting my body with live viruses (or anything else for at matter) my sicknesses are usually caused by my Tonsils or ear infections, both of which can't be stopped by a flu shot. I figure as long as those around me have the shot, I should be okay. God knows I clean like a mad women with Lysol and clorox bleach wipes!

I was keen to get it so I've asked my brilliant Professor of fertility and obstetrics about it. He said it's best to avoid it. He's got years of experience, a ton of qualifications, is very reputable among his colleagues internationally, and very very cautious with his clients. He would never take any risks with my baby. That's why I had the cerclage put in, when most other doctors would tell you 'you have to have a second trimester loss before you have a cerclage'.

After three University degrees and a house with two huge bookcases, I trust my research skills enough to know that the best research non-medically-related professionals can do is to find the right doctor. I had to change three before he was recommended to me. And so I trust him, and trust he knows what he's talking about.

And I'd rather risk my own life before I risk my baby's.

PS. I'd like to add I'm a PhD student and work from home. If I worked with children or had to see tens and tens of people every day, I may have received different advice.

PS2. I'm not against vaccinations in general. When the time comes, I will vaccine my children, should the doctor advises me accordingly.

Nope! Doctor Started basically yelling at me for telling her no. My parents both got it, hubby is getting it so why should I? I don't like injecting my body with live viruses (or anything else for at matter) my sicknesses are usually caused by my Tonsils or ear infections, both of which can't be stopped by a flu shot. I figure as long as those around me have the shot, I should be okay. God knows I clean like a mad women with Lysol and clorox bleach wipes!

Just so you know... the flu vaccine doesn't contain a live virus. It's dead and it's only the tiniest amount so that your anitbodies recognise it and learn to kill it.

Not having a go, just letting you know it's not live :)

XxX

Just so you know... the flu vaccine doesn't contain a live virus. It's dead and it's only the tiniest amount so that your anitbodies recognise it and learn to kill it.

XxX

Some of the versions are live.

Ahhh, ok I thought they were all dead viruses. Sorry! The one I got wasn't a live one anyway lol.

XxX

Im not having it, not this pregnancy not any others i didnt have with my others either x

I'm personally not getting it. My reasons are:

1. I've never had flu in my life (touching wood as I say this :haha:) and, other than pregnancy, have no medical conditions that make me high risk to get it. Obviously I know this doesn't mean I won't get it this year though!

2. My OH got the jab last year and felt rough for weeks after it! He had a bad cough he just couldn't shake for ages which came on literally about a day after having the jab. Could be a coincidence but he's not having it this year because of that and is very against me having it, particularly when pregnant.

3. I fail to understand how the jab can protect against every strain of flu - the flu virus mutates every year so how can the jab that has been available for a while now protect against a new strain of virus that probably hasn't appeared yet? I believe that any upcoming flu outbreak this year will be a brand new strain not in the jab.

4. I just don't like the idea of getting myself injected with anything whilst pregnant, whether the virus is deactivated or not. Like a previous poster said too, what other things does the jab contain??

Good point raised by another previous poster too about the jab not being given to babies under 6 months! x

No plans to have it. You take your chances with the flu every year, most people will be fine (although will feel like death for a few days/weeks) and a very small number will get seriously ill. I've luckily never caught it despite years of working in a school and with kids, all of whom seemed to drop like flies. I worked in a school, whilst pregnant, all through the 2009 swine flu outbreak and still didn't have the jab or get swine flu. I'm a SAHM now, so am not particularly worried about flu this year.
I do understand why people choose to have the jab and think it really is a matter of personal choice. Like all vaccines, you either worry more about the disease or the vaccine. In terms of this one, I worry more about the effects of having a jab whilst pregnant than I do about the flu.

They always tell you to get it if you work with small children, and i've worked 10 hours a day in a daycare for 7 years- never getting the flu! When the flu did go around, a boy who got the live flu-mist nasal vaccine spread it to the other kids. The second time, the very next year, only the children (six of them out out 15) who GOT the swine flu vaccine actually got the swine flu. It was VERY bizarre and shocking to see that. It was like our own little study.

XxX

Some of the versions are live.

Only the NASAL spray and that is not recommended for Pregnant women. None of the shots contain live virus.

I'm personally not getting it. My reasons are:

1. I've never had flu in my life (touching wood as I say this :haha:) and, other than pregnancy, have no medical conditions that make me high risk to get it. Obviously I know this doesn't mean I won't get it this year though!

2. My OH got the jab last year and felt rough for weeks after it! He had a bad cough he just couldn't shake for ages which came on literally about a day after having the jab. Could be a coincidence but he's not having it this year because of that and is very against me having it, particularly when pregnant.

3. I fail to understand how the jab can protect against every strain of flu - the flu virus mutates every year so how can the jab that has been available for a while now protect against a new strain of virus that probably hasn't appeared yet? I believe that any upcoming flu outbreak this year will be a brand new strain not in the jab.

4. I just don't like the idea of getting myself injected with anything whilst pregnant, whether the virus is deactivated or not. Like a previous poster said too, what other things does the jab contain??

Good point raised by another previous poster too about the jab not being given to babies under 6 months! x

Obviously it is up to everyone to come to their own decision... BUT

1) That is like saying I've never caught AIDS so I should just do away with condoms. Since you realise that, why even make it a point?

2) Complete coincidence unless he got the nasal spray rather than the shot.

3) It doesn't, this years shot only protects against 3 strains... even still being protected against 3 strains is a lot better than not being protected at all.

4) That's personal.. but you can definitely do research to find out what is in the shot.

As far as it not being given to children under 6 months that is a moot point. The shot does not cross the placenta. They aren't injecting the shot into your baby in any way, shape or form. The only thing that crosses the placenta is your antibodies which your body creates in reaction to the shot. These antibodies protect your child for up to 6 months after birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->