anyone had an infection?

wanabe mum

Reaction score
I had my weekly check up with the midwife, and had lucocytes in my urine and last week i had protein in my urine so she sent off a sample. But im now woried as to what this means, would an infection hav any effect on my baby??

An infection can cause preterm labor if not treated. But you are being treated so I wouldnt worry. It sounds like if you had protein in your urine they want to get an amount and see if you are at risk for pre eclampsia or toxemia. Is your blood pressure ok? Any swelling to face or hands?

Leukocytes can be a sign of infection but often times it can be from a contaminated sample. She likely wants a urine culture done so they can see what kind of bateria. From there they can tell if the bacteria came from your urine or from just normal vaginal secretions. If its something that needs to be treated they can see what type of antibiotics to start you on. They should call you in a few days to let you know if you need to do anything!

Thanks!! Thts reassuring, the midwife was very quiet and didnt give much away! Yea funny enuf she checked my ankles for the first time but i havnt had any swelling yet, im 30weeks. BP she said was fine, so guess il find out out at my next visit on tues what the outcome is but ive just been starting to panic the more i thought about it!

I had protein and leukocytes in my urine at last appt so they sent off a sample. Haven't heard anything back from them though so assume all was fine with it. I'm sure your midwife will let you know if there's anything but i'm sure all is fine.

I've had leukocytes in my urine samples too. They get sent off to the lab but they've always come back as being fine. Don't worry, if they find you have an infection, they can give you antibiotics to clear it up - ones that are safe for pregnancy. Nothing will have harmed your baby, it's just they need to check you don't have a 'silent' urinary tract infection as they can spread to the kidneys and on rare occasions lead to premature labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->