Anyone having christmas on their own?

I have no idea this year my mam has said she doesn't want to do it this year (feeling the love) so we will stay home just me and the kids if she doesn't.

No absolutely not 😊 I know the best thing would be for me to just call her myself, I guess I'm struggling to do that as I'm still angry with her x

When i was little and lived in the UK we always had a big family Christmas, with both sides of my dads and mum's families (her's would fly over from Germany), i can't remember much though as we moved to Australia when i was 5, in Aus it was just my mum, dad and two brothers until my mum and dad split up, then us kids would have Christmas with my mum in the morning and dad at night.
Growing up i always said to my mum i wished we were still in England for Christmas for the big family gathering. My mum never thought it felt like Christmas in Aus without family and the heat!
She would always try and make Christmas special for us kids though.

When i had my two older kids and still living in Aus, my mum would come spend the night with my hubby, kids and i, so she could be with the kids when they woke up and watch them open presents and have breakfast with us, then we would take her home in the afternoon and go to my dad's for dinner and share pressies etc i didn't feel this was too much hassle and we quite enjoyed it.

Just before we moved to the USA 6 years ago my mum passed away suddenly :( i am glad we were able to spend those wonderful Christmas mornings with her, and she got to spend at least a couple of Christmas's with her two oldest grand kids!!

Since moving to the USA (hubby's home) we spent one Christmas with his family, we quickly opened presents at our house and rushed around to get ready to go to their house and do presents and breakfast and stay all day, we hated it to be honest, his mother is never happy, and favours my SIL and her daughter over everyone else, our kids and my BIL's kids get left out a fair bit,grandparents don't spend anytime with them, every time they come up for a cuddle she would push them away, but would spend quite a bit of time with the 'favourite' grandchild, she new she was the favourite too and would rub it in to the other kids, i told DH we were not doing that again, as i hated seeing the heartbreak on my kids faces when all they wanted to do was spend some time with grandparents, telling them what santa brought them etc, and sitting their bored all day in front of the TV!
We have spent the last 4 Christmas's on our own with the kids, we get up and do what we want without having to rush around, go for a nice walk, play with kids, listen to music, and eat lots!! We love it!! we are in another state to his family now and it sounds harsh but i like being far away from them lol

sorry that was quite the novel lol

We're starting to just stay at home for Christmas. We did it for the first time last year. Usually we would go to my parents in the day and then oh in the evening. Past 2-3 years oh mum hasn't really done anything and put in a lot of effort so we haven't really done it, last year my parents spent Christmas up north with my step mums parents so we stayed at home. It was nice not having to rush and drag everyone out away from toys they wasn't to play with. (Ds1 would probably understand he's going to more toys but never used to and ds2 wouldn't understand)
I do put a lot of pressure on myself for X mas though which obviously doesn't help. I think we are going to stay at home though and tell my parents they're welcome to stop by if they wish.

Having spent a few years going elsewhere or having people here we are for the first time staying at home all of us no family Xmas eve day or boxing

Excited about not having to go far but hoping I won't miss my mum too much !

We are having everyone over a few days later for a big games and buffet day

we spend xmas day on our own (me, hubby & our 4 kids) mainly because we never get invited anywhere :rofl: if you miss your mum phone her, chances are she misses you just as much. I didn't speak to my mum for most of last year & it was horrible. I was angry at the time but now I feel like a weight has been lifted & touch wood we get on so much better than we ever have before

I always spending xmas day alone. Its our lazy chill-eat -and-play-with-all-the-toys day :rofl: I LOVE IT!

Never visited anybody on christmas day and never plan to either. Christmas to me will just be me, hubby and the kids. Christmas eve and boxing day for everybody else.

OP maybe give your mum a call and see how it goes. I can only imagine how much it hurts that she hasn't called you after something so heartbreaking.

We are spending it alone just us four, we are fed up of the travelling and feel as we have two young children people should come to us (they won't). We are starting our own family traditions and no way do I want to take my girls away from all their gifts.

I love going to my parents as its like Christmas Day all over again ( we go day after Boxing Day) MILs is very boring and centres around drinking and not really appropriate for our little ones so we pop I'm on our way home for a hour or two.

OP maybe give your mum a call and see how it goes. I can only imagine how much it hurts that she hasn't called you after something so heartbreaking.

We are spending it alone just us four, we are fed up of the travelling and feel as we have two young children people should come to us (they won't). We are starting our own family traditions and no way do I want to take my girls away from all their gifts.

I love going to my parents as its like Christmas Day all over again ( we go day after Boxing Day) MILs is very boring and centres around drinking and not really appropriate for our little ones so we pop I'm on our way home for a hour or two.

This! When I was a kid my nan would come to us for a couple of hours in the morning. And when dh was little his nans and grandads would come to their house. His paternal grandparents would actually stop in for an hour or 2 with each of their children before reaching the last house (they all lived in walking distance) where they would spend the rest of the day. They would spend the day with a different one of their children's family's each year.
Yet no one wants to come to us. His mum doesn't like to leave the house Christmas day and thinks we should go to her if we have to be together as a family at all.

Hi ladies. just thought I'd update- I took the kids trick or treating to my mums tonight. It was awkward, but it's a start x

Glad you've kind of made a start, hopefully something to build on x

Stupid phone. Posted on the wrong thread.

We've had them on our own, just OH, J and I but since we've moved close to home again, my parents, aunt and uncle, grandmother and brother and SIL pop in here and there. We spend the night on our own once guests leave and then they arrive again in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->