anyone over 35 going for fertility treatments this year? IUI, IVF etc

I'm heading into IUI #5 waiting for AF any day now(OMFG did I just type #5!)](*,)
I will be 40 at the end of this year and my husband will be 45 in October.
Can I just say that I was Totally against any sort of medical assistance, medication etc.

On the plus side, you get so many people looking at/putting things in your hooha that you just stop worrying about it, although when I am leaning back looking at the ceiling I often wonder how the H$ll did I get to this point?

In my experience I have found that you really, really need to know your cycle/body as well as you can regardless of what the Dr. says is going on.

My clinic keeps trying to push meds on me that I don't need, they want to get me on a schedule. I've given in a couple of times and all it did was mess up my cycle so now I just Keep telling them no and my body has worked fine for now.

I did unmedicated monitoring for a year. It didn't work for us, but I don't regret doing it and I recommend it as a starting point. You just go in for Bloodwork and ultrasounds to monitor your hormones/follicles etc.
Yes it is annoying, when I get close to ovulation I can be getting BW/US every day for a week. It really helps you see how your body works and I also still took at home ovulation tests to see how they compared to my BW/US results.

If you have had a pap test then IUI is only slightly worse, more cramping but nothing unbearable.
Right now our Insurance pays for an unlimited amount of IUI's but not IVF so for now it's IUI's.

I'm heading into IUI #5 waiting for AF any day now(OMFG did I just type #5!)](*,)
Can I just say that I was Totally against any sort of medical assistance, medication etc.

On the plus side, you get so many people looking at/putting things in your hooha that you just stop worrying about it, although when I am leaning back looking at the ceiling I often wonder how the H$ll did I get to this point?

In my experience I have found that you really, really need to know your cycle/body as well as you can regardless of what the Dr. says is going on.

My clinic keeps trying to push meds on me that I don't need, they want to get me on a schedule. I've given in a couple of times and all it did was mess up my cycle so now I just Keep telling them no and my body has worked fine for now.

I did unmedicated monitoring for a year. It didn't work for us, but I don't regret doing it and I recommend it as a starting point. You just go in for Bloodwork and ultrasounds to monitor your hormones/follicles etc.
Yes it is annoying, when I get close to ovulation I can be getting BW/US every day for a week. It really helps you see how your body works and I also still took at home ovulation tests to see how they compared to my BW/US results.

If you have had a pap test then IUI is only slightly worse, more cramping but nothing unbearable.
Right now our Insurance pays for an unlimited amount of IUI's but not IVF so for now it's IUI's.

Thanks for your post, it was interesting and helpful to those of us wondering which way to go. Good luck this time, I hope af stays away!!

Thanks for starting this thread Sarahincanada, and sharing your experiences, I'm pleased to report that my OH is now fully educated about the biology behind the conception process and totally on board with the timing of BD!

Natsby I'm also interested in this Duo Fertility Monitor, it seems like a ramped up version of the CBFM but if you get the money back then it's not a huge risk, and £500 is cheap compared to IVF.

I'm going to start a thread and see if anyone in 35+ is already using it, I love gadgets it has to be said.

Hi Ladies, this seems a good a place as any to ask this question.

Has anyone had a HyCoSy test done?

It's the last test I need before we review where we are at and can start IUI, all being well with me.

The thing is the Dr told me they don't give you any pain relief and to expect it to hurt... now if the Dr is saying that it must be bad, I have heard 15% have to be abandoned as it hurts to much....yikes!!

Someone please tell me it's not too bad...

Also, just wanted to mention I use the Persona monitor, it is actually a natural contraception but I know a few people use it to predict ovulataion, as that is what it does. The monitor itself cost around £80 and I have to buy 1 box of sticks a month that costs £13 and that's all I need, I get a red light when the hormones are building and a little egg when I ovulate, I used it for 2 years as a birth control as well. I believe it's cheaper than the CBFM so thought I would mention it.

Hi Ladies, this seems a good a place as any to ask this question.

Has anyone had a HyCoSy test done?

It's the last test I need before we review where we are at and can start IUI, all being well with me.

The thing is the Dr told me they don't give you any pain relief and to expect it to hurt... now if the Dr is saying that it must be bad, I have heard 15% have to be abandoned as it hurts to much....yikes!!

Someone please tell me it's not too bad...

I think that's a hysterosalpingogram or something similar right?
I had a hysterosalpingogram and I don't want to scare anyone but it was excruciatingly painful.
I'm normally good with pain but this was so bad I had to make them stop, and the test made me cry which is unheard of for me.

Most women do fine with the test (so don't take my experience as what will happen).
I may have to get a second one done since the first one wasn't finished. :dohh:

I think that's a hysterosalpingogram or something similar right?
I had a hysterosalpingogram and I don't want to scare anyone but it was excruciatingly painful.
I'm normally good with pain but this was so bad I had to make them stop, and the test made me cry which is unheard of for me.

Most women do fine with the test (so don't take my experience as what will happen).
I may have to get a second one done since the first one wasn't finished. :dohh:

Ahhh that's the one, oh my .... not looking forward to that then. I have been ringing all day to book it but they won't answer the phone...that's the NHS for you.

Without it I can't get to the next stage and if I can't book it soon it will be a whole month before I can as it have to be done cd6 to cd12. :growlmad:

Cui, can I ask... it says to take pain killers 1 hour before, did you do that?

Cui...curious about which meds messed u up?

The first thing they had me take which didn't mess up my cycle but didn't work as planned was an HCG trigger shot. I didn't ovulate until 4 days later and not the usual 2-3. So the IUI they had planned(but I didn't end up doing) would have failed.
My husband says I am normally stubborn so why should my follicles be any different.:haha:

This was way in the beginning, and I didn't realize at the time that my lead follicle always gets to between 20-24mm before ovulating.
When they wanted me to take the trigger shot it was 16-18 mm(I forget exactly how big it was) so the clinic was like OMG mature follicle! My follicle ended up getting to its usual size and then I o'd naturally.

One cycle I was borderline short on my follicular phase I think it was so they had me take Estrace to lengthen it. Well the Estrace then messed with my follicles so they told me to start taking Bravelle shots. I took one while I was at the clinic because they were freaking me out telling me OMG you are going to miss this cycle.

I went home, thought about it and decided not to take any more shots/medications and see if my body could sort itself out. I was prepared to miss that cycle if it didn't work but I wanted to give my body a chance.
It sorted itself out and I went on to O my usual sized follicle on my own.

I'm not anti fertility meds or anything like that. I'm trying to keep things as natural as I can for as long as I can. I do take progesterone and prometrium after ovulation and I may need to start fertility meds at some point if I can't get these stupid IUI's to work. My Dr. said it's usually six unmedicated IUI's and then probably move on to medicated IUI's.

Plus my insurance doesn't cover fertility medications and some of them are crazy expensive.

Ahhh that's the one, oh my .... not looking forward to that then. I have been ringing all day to book it but they won't answer the phone...that's the NHS for you.

Without it I can't get to the next stage and if I can't book it soon it will be a whole month before I can as it have to be done cd6 to cd12. :growlmad:

Cui, can I ask... it says to take pain killers 1 hour before, did you do that?
After I had the test I posted about it on here.
https://www.babyandbump.com/trying-conceive-over-35/379902-positively-horrible-hsg-today.html

I also think the Dr. who did it was a jerk. I don't know if someone else doing it would have made the test less painful but I think his manner was horrible and definitely made me feel worse. He acted like I was overreacting to how painful it was so it was embarrassing on top of being painful.

https://www.babyandbump.com/trying-conceive-over-35/379902-positively-horrible-hsg-today.html

I also think the Dr. who did it was a jerk. I don't know if someone else doing it would have made the test less painful but I think his manner was horrible and definitely made me feel worse. He acted like I was overreacting to how painful it was so it was embarrassing on top of being painful.

Thank you so much for posting that, I have just read the whole post, at least I have open eyes now going into this and I know what to expect....have you switched Dr's?

hi everyone, I havent read any of the posts yet but wanted to post about my first fertility appointments today for clomid with monitoring, they call it 'ovarian reserve' appointment. I will try and give as much detail as possible incase any of you are going to be doing this soon....

first of all Im really tired and going for a nap! I got up at 6am which early for me and had to travel in the car 2 hours to get downtown toronto for 8am. Its right at rush hour when people are travelling into work so a nightmare. I got there 8:30 right on the dot.

so first I had blood taken and man that hurt and I have a massive bruise as she did it not right in the crease of my elbow but over and down a bit. I dont have much luck at this hospital with them putting needles in me...when i had my polyp operation it took him about 4 tries to get the iv in :growlmad:

then I was taken in for my ultrasound, I didnt realize it was a vaginal one...I was thinking as its day 3 and Im bleeding it would be on the tummy like when you are pregnant but it wasnt. kinda weird getting nude when you have your period but I guess they are used to that with day 3 ultrasounds! my left was 4.98 and right 4.25 whatever that means.

then I was taken to see the nurse, I did ask her some questions and she was ok but not THAT helpful. I was asking if it helps the eggs maturity and she didnt really answer that but said it helps stimulate more follicles. I guess the idea is that at my age I have X amount of eggs left and some are good and some are bad. So each month I pop out one egg which could be good or bad. With clomid more are stimulated and released each month, making it more likely a good egg will be released within the average of 3 months of using it. Theres a 10% chance of multiples, which is 9% more than average. So that shows that even with multiple eggs being released many dont get fertilized.

So I am starting 100mg today for 5 nights, just have to wait for them to call me and say its ok after looking at my blood results. I asked how come 100mg and she said thats what my Dr finds is the most successful and her being the head of fertility at the hospital she has a lot of experience with this drug and dosage. She went through the side effects and suggested taking at night as its better for more people.

I also asked her if one month we wanted to try IUI and she said yes at anytime we can choose that, and she showed me the device they use to put up in the uterus, it was very small. Its $350 per session so not too bad.

I go back next Friday which is CD11 for more blood work and another ultrasound so they can see how I responded to the clomid. Fingers crossed it doesnt over stimulate me otherwise the cycle will be cancelled. So Im hoping Im ok on it, I guess I will know over the next few days. After that appointment we use the ov tests and BD as normal and I dont go back till next cycle if I need to start allover again.

so thats it for now! I will let you know how I feel the next 5 days. side effects can include mood swings, bloating/weight gain (drink water she said), dizziness. I am self employed and so can take it easy this next week anyway.

Hello Sarahincanada, I agree, assisted conception forum is overwhelming! I go there, but I really just want to see over 35 assisted conception, so glad to see a few others in here seeking treatment and I am not alone. I am in the tww after my second iui with chlomid, fallistim, ovidril estrogen, and progesterone, first iui was the same minus fallistim. It was amazing to see the ultrasounds every step of the way! Round one, only one follicle. Round two, at least 4! Fx'd! After insemination, needless to say, very crampy! Wishing you the best as you start chloride!

Ps - spelling of all the drugs, questionable......but you get the idea...

yay great to have you in this thread!! good luck with this cycle :hugs: so you had 4 follicles ready to be released this month? do you know how many it is that they cancel the cycle? how was clomid for you, any side effects? please keep in touch so we can see how you do :hugs:

Hi Sarah

Thanks for posting that, it was very very interesting. I have the same experience lying on the bed on cd1 so I feel your embarrassment.

I never got told any numbers on my utlra sound on Tuesday, she said she couldn't see my right one as my bowl was in the way, should I worry?

I will be stalking this thread to see how you are getting on and I will update you all on my HyCoSy and following, results and IUI if it happens.

It's really great to have an area to talk about assisted conception here as the other forum was way too scary!

Good luck for the clomid and take it easy for the rest of the day.

:dust:

thanks for the info! so are you doing IUI without clomid then? was it clomid that messed up your cycles? I decided to try it and see how it goes, Im not very patient :dohh: also my clinic is 2 hours away so theres no way I can go see them that much. I dont love the idea of clomid but if it gets me my bfp asap then I will soon forget about it!! I just hope I dont have too many side effects :cry:

Thank you so much for posting that, I have just read the whole post, at least I have open eyes now going into this and I know what to expect....have you switched Dr's?

omg Cui thats awful :growlmad:

GreenFingers I had a sono, which I think is similar to an HSG. I read a lot on the internet too, some people say it was fine others saying it was painful. I found that it was the people with the blocked tubes saying it was painful and as you dont know ahead of time if they are blocked you dont know how painful it will be. the first part is really just like a pap smear, but when they put the catheter thingy up through the cervix thats an 'ouch', and for me that was the only pain I had...my tubes were clear though. I didnt even have cramping after.

anyway dont be thinking its definitely going to be painful, lets hope your tubes are clear then it wont be bad at all :hugs:

then I was taken in for my ultrasound, I didnt realize it was a vaginal one...

I asked how come 100mg and she said thats what my Dr finds is the most successful and her being the head of fertility at the hospital she has a lot of experience with this drug...

I go back next Friday which is CD11 for more blood work and another ultrasound so they can see how I responded to the clomid. Fingers crossed it doesnt over stimulate me otherwise the cycle will be cancelled.

I will let you know how I feel the next 5 days. side effects can include mood swings, bloating/weight gain (drink water she said), dizziness.

Ugh...vaginal u/s during menses...good to know....

Dosage...good to know...

Overstimulation?

Curious about the side affects...

Thanks for doing this...learned a lot already....

Hi Sarah

Thanks for posting that, it was very very interesting. I have the same experience lying on the bed on cd1 so I feel your embarrassment.

I never got told any numbers on my utlra sound on Tuesday, she said she couldn't see my right one as my bowl was in the way, should I worry?

I will be stalking this thread to see how you are getting on and I will update you all on my HyCoSy and following, results and IUI if it happens.

It's really great to have an area to talk about assisted conception here as the other forum was way too scary!

Good luck for the clomid and take it easy for the rest of the day.

:dust:

I dont think that would be a worry, they would have said something if it was it was probably just not showing on the machine. it amazes me that they can even see all that from just inside the vagina!
remind me are you taking clomid as well if you do an IUI?

I go back next Friday which is CD11 for more blood work and another ultrasound so they can see how I responded to the clomid. Fingers crossed it doesnt over stimulate me otherwise the cycle will be cancelled. So Im hoping Im ok on it, I guess I will know over the next few days. After that appointment we use the ov tests and BD as normal and I dont go back till next cycle if I need to start allover again.
What does it mean to cancel the cycle when you are not doing IUI? Will they tell you not to :sex:?

remind me are you taking clomid as well if you do an IUI?

Well until I get my results I am not sure, I have been recommended IUI because of my husbands SA (morphology 3%). If I am all clear I guess that might be it but I would like to try clomid as well as i think it would raise the chances of success.

I have to have this last nasty test and then we will know.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"