Anyone TTC #1 and 30 or older?

It's funny, everyone in my December babies Facebook group thinks their babies are teething. All of our babies started drooling a tonne and gnawing on fists and anything else since around 8/9 weeks. Some say it's normal, and some say their other kids cut their first teeth by three months. One can already see the teeth poking through now. I don't see anything on Tilly, so I'm guessing this is normal stuff but very occasionally is actual teething. I also wonder whether Melody is going through a leap. Judging by Tilly being three weeks ahead, it would kind of fit I think, coz she had a leap about a month ago.

Too true Jezika! I think people are too quick to "blame" their baby's behavior on teething when there are other valid, more likely reasons. No way can so many babies be teething that early! I've actually read that many babies drool at around 8 weeks without it meaning they're teething, it's apparently normal for them to start producing more saliva at around 2 months old (https://www.babycenter.com/0_your-2-month-olds-development-week-2_1477194.bc):

Your baby's salivary glands have been working since she was in utero, but you may notice that she's started to drool. She's also putting everything in her mouth and producing more saliva than she can swallow.

This doesn't mean that your baby's teething just yet, though — that probably won't happen for another two weeks, at least. The vast majority of babies sprout their first tooth between 4 and 7 months of age. If your baby's an early developer, you may see her first white cap, usually one of the bottom two middle teeth, as early as 3 months. (And in rare cases, a baby's first tooth is visible at birth!)

I didn't know about leaps until you told me about them and when I read about them thought "Wow yeah, that explains his fussy period x weeks ago and why he's fussy now."

I've read that the increase in drooling is a sign the baby's body is readying itself for carbohydrates, not a sign of teething. I wondered the same thing about Nora around 3-4 months old, but she still doesn't have any signs of teeth.

Eelse, when is your birthday? I turn 33 on July 18.

My birthday is July 9 :flower: We have birthdays close together and both are '84 babies :happydance:

Angel5000, we should start a new thread with all these July mommies :haha: Hopefully I'll be able to join as a mommy soon and not just a TTC'er

AFM: Quick question here...
How long does ovulation pain last for you? I've had a pinching pain in my left side since last night (about 15 hours now) but doubt very much that ovulation pain lasts that long. Not sure what else it could be though... :shrug:

Else I'll be 33 in August, due with this baby girl in July and she is my first... So I'm another 84 baby lol.

Jezika- from what I've seen with all of my friends babies, it can be either one of the two or a mixture.

As far as the leaps, I was actually recommend a book called " twelve hours of sleep by twelve weeks old".. I started reading it yesterday and a lot of my friends have gotten great results from it. But of course each baby is different.

Baby girl woke me up at 3am moving like crazy and it took a bit too go back to sleep so I'm pretty tired this morning. Hope you all have a great Monday!!

EElse I've never had O pain so can't help you there:shrug:

Garglinpitt a leap in the mental development of your baby means that suddenly there are many changes in his/her head. His/Her brain suddenly perceives things it wasn’t capable of perceiving before. This change is so great that his/her entire world suddenly looks different. So it's not something you can train out of them with books, it's a series of natural developments! Sleep gets discussed so much when talking about leaps because during a leap, many babies will start sleeping less/worse. I believe many babies do this even if they were e.g. previously sleeping through the night. So reading a book on sleep training isn't helpful when it comes to leaps.

Thanks Kat!

Gagrlinpitt, :happydance: another '84 baby! Hope little one settles down and gives her momma a chance to rest :) Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Kay- is not just about sleep training but I'm excited about hopefully implementing this with peanut once she is here.

Else- praying for you for this month!!

Kay- is not just about sleep training but I'm excited about hopefully implementing this with peanut once she is here.

I did look up info on the book (read some reviews as well) and it sounds pretty strict to me, at least if you're planning on bf'ing. Does it start with baby only eating every 4 hours? Because if baby is going to be bf'ed, that's not gonna be feasible as newborns need to feed every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-4 hours at night. I'd think it'd only work if baby is bottle fed as they can go for longer on formula than they can on breast milk. Either way, it sounds sick to not feed your baby if they're hungry after e.g. 3 hours because they have to go for 4 hours so you just try to distract them from hunger. Also that you reset the crying time every time there's a break sounds too strict as well because you'd be resetting every time baby stops to catch his/her breathe. It definitely doesn't sound like anything for me if that's how the method is done. Babies are also individuals so what may work for one, won't necessarily work for another. I personally think this book's methods sound borderline abusive if you follow it completely. I just wouldn't put my son through all that for the sake of more sleep. I'm sure we'll get there in time at his pace and using methods that fit him and us as a family.

Btw the experts in children/child care/ child psychology in this country are advising people against using this book.

I forgot to mention.... Melody's rolling over! :happydance: She started rolling over tummy to back a week ago and has been doing it every time I put her on her tummy. She gets the funniest look on her face every time she ends up on her back. :haha:

As for teething - it's not as rare as people think to start teething early. My mom managed and owned daycare centers for most of her (and my) life, and I worked for her for several years. In the infant room they often saw kids get a tooth early (2.5 - 3.5 months). It wasn't all the time but it wasn't all that uncommon either. I also did some research and found a lot of examples of people who reported their kids first tooth coming in between 8-12 weeks.

My sister's doctor had told her that often babies start doing what she called "deep teething" (not sure if that's a real medical term or just one she used) at around this age where the teeth are moving under the gums but may not cut for quite awhile. In my nieces case though she cut her first tooth right around this age. If it continues I may ask our GP but there's no point in asking when there's nothing she can do.

Her lower gums are a little red. They look a little swollen but I can't get a good look, she gets really annoyed when I try to look/touch.

I checked her leaps, she's in the last couple days of this leap. This kind of fussiness the last couple days isn't just fussiness, it's an "I'm in pain" kind of crying. :(

Eelse- I never had ovulation pain, sorry, so I can't help there.

Kat - I haven't read that book, but I have read Babywise, which people report as being one of the stricter sleep/schedule training books, but even Babywise states that 1) don't start schedules ors leep training before 8 weeks old because baby needs to eat more often before then, and 2) if baby is hungry adjust schedule and feed. It says it over and over that baby needs always trump what the clock says no matter what you are trying to do schedule-wise.

Plus, I doubt that it really means if the baby stops for a breath that you reset the timer. In other books/methods I've read the reset if crying stops kind of thing only occurs if the baby actually stops crying, not just stops to take a breath. I think you're over thinking it. Most books and methods, even the strict ones, also tell you to adjust as needed and do what is right for your baby and your family. One of the biggest things that babywise said when I read it was not to take it literally minute by minute and to recognize that adjustments are necessary for individual children.

Hi all. Welcome newbies. Angel and jezika it goes fast. I too noticed that dd started having a lot if drool and eating her fist around 2 months but she didn't get her first tooth until closer to 6-9 months. I know some teeth earlier or later so anything is possible.
Kat I think you jumped the gun a bit. It's always good to have a plan or goal for sleeping otherwise you end up bed sharing and nursing with a 15 month old like me. Not saying I don't love every minute it's just not for everyone. She will figure it out just like you did and just like every other mom does.

Afm It's been crazy over here for me. Lo is transitioning from two naps to one nap and still continues to wake 3-6 times per night for feeding. She is running and climbing and working on talking. She says dejee for doggie meow this that hot daddy and mom mom. She flaps her arms when happy/excited or frustrated/angry. She makes me laught. We are still on track for ttc number two later this year but it's been nice to experience her by herself for now.

Angel- this book is supposed to be a simpler version of baby wise. I've heard nothing but great things about it..

So exciting your little one is rolling over!!!

Ha I'm definitely the bedsharing/nursing momma that has no interest in sleep books, but that's because I don't mind waking up to nurse a couple times a night whenever she wants (don't even have to get up; just stick the ol' boob her in mouth) and we can sleep in for however long. Having said that, when I'm properly off mat leave come January, she will definitely be needing to go to bed early and she'll have to learn to sleep without me for that first part of her sleep, which worries me. I have zero problems putting her to sleep at night, but that's because she's right beside me. Being laid back seems to be working with my current lifestyle, and I'm not looking forward to that changing. Still... I think I'll bury my head in the sand till closer to the time...

Perhaps it's a cultural thing? Guess I'm more Danish in that respect. I did see plenty of positive reviews but the negative ones were worrying. One bf'ing woman dramatically decreased her supply following the book and her baby was starving. Another said she saw her friends distracting their baby from his hunger because he had another hour to go before eating. Others mentioned that people in health care recommend not following books like that. People also mentioned the author mentions not to cheat so doesn't sound like much room for considering baby's individual needs. Also I'm wary of any book/method that claims it works for "any baby" as all babies are different so what works for one may not work for another. It's also setting some parents up for failure because what if it doesn't work for your baby, I'm sure many parents will be blaming themselves because it claims "any baby" so that must mean it's the parents' fault when it doesn't work. I read what I could on Amazon.com (as I'm not going to buy it and I seriously doubt anyone I know would buy it!) and her tone sounds a bit too militant for my tastes. I've heard this book is stricter than Babywise and that Babywise isn't recommended by the AAP, also because they say sleep training shouldn't start until baby is 6 months old.

Oh I'm planning on doing sleep training, when Alexander is ready and I'll be following my health care provider's/visitor's instructions. I'm sure it's one of the topics we'll be discussing when I see her again in April. I don't see how me saying I don't like the methods these books use means I'm not interested in sleep training! There are gentler methods (without the hassle of all that scheduling) that I'm sure work fine and I'll be exploring those methods soon with my provider/visitor.

So yeah, guess it's a difference in opinion and cultures concerning books like that. I'm glad though that Babywise does allow for changes according to baby's needs.

Jezika that's how it is with me and dd. I don't have school or a traditional job so it doesn't matter when or how much I sleep but those habits are really hard to break. If could provide advice it would be to start sleep training well before you go back to school so you aren't trying to focus while having Tilly screaming for you in the background.
Kat I think you might be reading into things a bit. Jezika and I are not sleep training at this point because it's what is easiest or best for our situation. I agree if you have a feeding schedule things can go wrong but no one ever said you have to follow it to a t or that you can't make alterations. I think if garlingpit wants to have a stricter sleep schedule that's her right and choice and I am sure she will discuss her choices with her pediatrician before implementing anything and will follow her providers advice over the book.
Garling sleep training is hard and like I've said if you don't have a plan or goals around it you can get stuck in the same place I am where it's now better to let dd self wean and wait to ttc #2 until later this year. You just need to trust your instincts and to let your dds personality help make your choices.
Good luck

When it comes to sleeping, I don't mind bed sharing and it's certainly easier to nurse, but I struggle with bed sharing partially because of the type of bed we have. Our mattress is foam and fairly soft so my weight causes a dip that makes Melody roll into me. She sleeps really well that way (right up against me) but I worry about her being RIGHT against me all night. I wouldn't mind continuing to bed share if I had a firmer/better mattress for it. M certainly slept for longer periods while bedsharing, BUT every night she's been getting a little bit better!

My biggest problem right now is that her swaddle blanket doesn't fit right (and she can break out of any swaddle I try to do myself). The 0-3 month swaddle blanket we have fit perfectly EXCEPT she became way too long for it. So I moved her into the 3-6 one and length-wise its great but width wise I can't get it quite tight enough so she breaks free and then smacks herself in the face in her sleep. :dohh: It's actually kind of hilarious, until she's waking up crying. I've improvised to make it work for now and have another swaddle sack from a different brand coming from Amazon to see if it'll work a little better.

Since i Have to go back to work after only a 3-4 month leave, I need to get more than 5 hours of sleep (that is also interrupted in chunks), or I will be no good dealing with teenagers. However, I have to argue that the term "sleep training" can be misleading and also mean different things for different people.

I know that AAP recommends against sleep training but they also strongly recommend against any kind of bedsharing too. It all comes down to doing things safely and most of the time they make those recommendations because some people are just plain stupid and don't use their head (my doctor's words). The suggestion to avoid sleep training until older (6 months etc) from AAP I believe stems from the understanding of "sleep training" as similar to ferberizing or self-soothing / CIO types of methods. What I'm doing with Melody is often referred to as "sleep training", because the result is that it's changing how she sleeps but it really IS sleep training in the way that AAP references sleep training. It's simply adding a routine. Before I started this she would take anywhere from 10 - 60 minutes to fall asleep, and she wouldn't stay asleep for more than a few minutes and then it would take another 10-60 minutes of walking/rocking/shushing. Now she's asleep in under 10 minutes EVERY SINGLE TIME (except sometimes the very last sleep time in the evening, that takes a little more work) if I use the sleep routine we've set up. Once she's asleep she'll sometimes wake after only 5-10 minutes but it only takes less than 2 minutes of cuddling for her to pass out again. And usually then she'll stay out for 30-45 minutes. At night she'll stay out for 3-3.5 hours at a time, wake to feed and goes right back to sleep immediately as long as I follow the same routine.

So...technically this is "sleep training" but I seriously doubt it's the kind of sleep training that the AAP was warning against.

Cutestuff - Sounds like you've got your hands full but she sounds so sweet! Glad she makes you so happy!

Gagrl - I Did some reading on reviews and it sounds like it's not a bad book, just make sure to use common sense and your instincts along with it. That's what I had to do with babywise. I couldn't follow it exactly, but all kids are different and need adjustments. :) Just do what works for your family!

Jezika - I'm right there, as long as I can sleep in for however long I want I don't mind the bedsharing and waking up to nurse. Unfortunately I know I have to go back to work in a month and a half and I want to get a little bit of her schedule down so that 1) she'll sleep for her caregivers (before I Started this routine she wouldn't sleep for anyone else, and that would be bad once I'm at work) and 2) I'll get a little more sleep since I'll have to be up by 5am each day. I would recommend if you plan to start some kind of sleep schedule/training (even just getting her to fall asleep on her own) that you start it a few months before you have to return so if you hit hiccups you've got time to adjust AND if you have a rough night you won't be trying to deal with that on top of work. That's the other reason I started now, I know that if I was having a bad night and I had to work in the morning I'd just give up, and then still not get good sleep before work. Here I can say "well I know I'm not sleeping well but I can sleep in or nap as long as I want tomorrow so I'll keep pushing through" and it's paid off for me.

Kat - I suspect that a lot of those negative reviews were taking the book to the extreme and/or didn't read it fully. I found when I read reviews for Babwise, many of the negatives were similar to what you mention: people saying baby was starving trying to force them to wait to eat etc. However, when I read the book it says loads of times that if baby is hungry to feed the baby and the to adjust the cycle to match the new feeding time. I did see that the book tended to be more geared toward bottle fed babies (formula or breastmilk doesn't matter) because it tends to reference ounces consumed, which is hard for a BF mom who doesn't pump.

The whole premise behind babywise is this: Baby will sleep better when he/she has a full tummy, and baby eats better when awake enough to get a "full feeding" (rather than dozing off at the breast and only eating a few minutes at a time), so the recommendation is for baby to eat, wake-time, then nap, rather than to eat right before napping. This is because if you are feeding when baby is tired, then they fall asleep while eating, don't get enough food, and wake more often, and it's a vicious cycle.

My doctor is the one who recommended Babywise to me, and the ONLY reason the AAP doesn't recommend it is because people were being stupid taking it to the extreme and saying "oh it's not time for baby to eat" and refusing to feed the baby, even though the book says TONS of times to feed when baby is hungry and adjust as necessary. It also says that during growth spurts then to completely ignore the schedule because baby WILL eat more. Also, babywise AND this other book both specify that nothing schedule-wise should be done before 8 weeks old because until then baby needs to eat whenever baby is hungry.

I can honestly say it made a huge difference for me to make this change. I feed Melody when she wakes up from a nap, and because she's awake and eats more she also is sleeping better. I found if I feed her when she's recently woken up and can get her to feed a "full" feeding (about 20-30 mins of BF), then she'll go about 3.5 hours before eating again and then consume another 20-30 mins of food. If however, she's eating less (like she does when she falls asleep eating) and only eats 5-15 minutes then she eats again every 2-2.5 hours. The whole book is based on trying to keep baby on this kind of a routine. And, if baby is hungry sooner then feed baby sooner, and reset the time but if you work hard for several days to keep baby awake and eating a full meal at every feeding, they start to go much longer between asking for food.

I started doing this routine (nap, eat, play, nap, etc) with M at about 6 weeks and she's still gaining loads of weight and doctor says she's in perfect health, so she's clearly not starving. It isn't always perfect, sometimes she wants to eat again sooner and then that falls too close to nap time because M can only handle wakefulness of 1-1.5 hours right now, but that's where understanding my kid and what she needs is more important than blindly following a books advice. And even the book says to adjust as necessary.

Firstly cutestuff I don't think I have said anything about you and Jezika not sleep training, I think there's been a misunderstanding. As said, I haven't done much in that respect either yet. So not sure where you're getting that from? I agree it's Garglin's choice but she was recommending the book in connections with leaps and I was firstly trying to tell her that sleep training doesn't help when baby is in a leap (I don't even think it's needed as most babies will go back to their former sleeping once the leap is over). I was also just saying what I've read about it and that it's not for me and why. Nothing problematic with that?

As said, I think it's a cultural difference here as I'm Danish in my thinking in some ways and apparently when it comes to sleep training, I go for the gentler approaches (like most do here). I haven't done any sleep training per say with Alexander yet, just the "rock him as little as possible" for naps and bedtime my health care provider/visitor told me to do about 1½ months ago. I'm barely rocking him at this point btw! She's coming back in April so I'm sure we'll be talking about what methods would work best for Alexander and I.

As for feeding, I'm currently still feeding on-demand so often Alexander will get fed when he wakes and most of the time he wants to feed shortly before napping so he'll often get a shorter feed there (because he often sleeps longer when getting fed before his nap like you mentioned Angel). This is per my provider's advice although i'm sure at one point one of these feedings will be dropped when Alexander is ready and probably will happen when he's eating solids.

I'm glad that many don't follow the book blindly because that's of course a good thing. But I just think books like this can be dangerous because some will always take it to the extreme and babies in turn will suffer for it. In terms of the "12 Hours" book, I don't see why it's necessary for baby to sleep for 12 hours straight, I'd think 8-9 hours would be fine for most families. Also I don't completely get why baby needs to be put on a schedule to be fed every 4 hours. I understand the theory is they eat more and sleep longer but babies stomache's can only hold so much. As said I'm also wary that it says it works for "any baby" because I seriously doubt that since all babies are different.

I think we may just have to agree to disagree a bit on this.

Anyway Alexander may have started Leap 5, his napping was horrible yesterday so it threw off the semi-routine we've been having:nope: His nighttime sleeping was pretty good though, luckily! We'll see how it goes today.

Everything is good on my ultrasound! Baby was measuring right on, little heart beating at 188. No sign of the subchorionic hemorrhage so I'm hoping all the bleeding was it resolving. Yay!

Great news drjo:thumbup::happydance:

AFM Alexander is in Leap 5 now, his napping is really bad! Most of the time he sleeps 30-45 minutes which isn't enough for him:nope: He also wants to be held a lot. Today he wanted me to walk around with him and every time I tried to sit for a few minutes (because my back can't take walking around for hours with an almost 7.3 kg baby), he started wailing:wacko: Ugh, here we go again! They say it lasts 1-5 weeks and knowing my luck, he'll be like this for another 3-4 weeks (since the first week is soon over):dohh: I just pray his nighttime sleeping doesn't get affected because then I'll truely start to loose it:wacko:

Melody's been having a rough time eating the last several days, basically refusing to eat at all. She'll start to suck and then stop after 1-2 minutes and start screaming. The only way she's eating the last several days is after I give her tylonel, then she'll eat for 20-30 minutes. Since i don't like drugging my kid I only did that yesterday and on Sunday, so she has barely eaten in between. :( I was worried it might be reflux because of the way she was screaming, except she never spits up, so then I was thinking it could be "silent reflux". My sister was here today so she started looking in her mouth and we can SEE the tip of her bottom tooth coming in. It's not quite broken all the way through yet but we can see it.

I KNEW I wasn't crazy.

In other news - I weighed and measured her. She's 24.5 inches long now and 12.5 lbs! :wacko: She grew 1 inch and 1.5 lbs since her March 1 check up! She's growing so fast!

Great news drjo!

Kat - sorry about the screaming. Does he like a swing at all? That helps me with Melody when she's requiring constant motion. We also use a yoga ball a lot. Then I can sit and bounce and it's a lot easier on my back, and she is happy because she's still moving.

Angel hope her tooth soon erupts so she feels a bit better. I've heard it's worst for the during those days? Yeah they grow really fast so enjoy these days! It feels like yesterday Alexander was this little newborn and now he's 68 cm and over 7 kg:wacko:

I haven't tried his swinging chair yet, I'll have to try and see if he'll be happy with that. Only thing is it needs new batteries but it's still better for my back if I can get him to use it.

Ugh was going to say DH has improved but now it's been a 2 steps forward, one step back thing. Last night Alexander started waking every hour from 2 AM and at one of these wakings I told DH that Alexander is crying. He looked at me and kept saying he didn't understand so I went in myself. I told DH that it seemed like a silly excuse to not get up and go to his son but he maintains he didn't get what I wanted :dohh: Again he wants me to tell him exactly what to do but if I do that I risk him complaining that I'm a nag:wacko::dohh:

Oh and he's still talking about going to the 3 day metal music festival in June :dohh: He keeps mentioning that one of his friends' wife let him get away for a few days once in a while. I told DH that I don't care what his friend's wife let him do when they had a baby, I don't think he should leave me for so long. Gosh it's like discussing something with a small child that wants something: "But Mommy, my friend's mom bought him one!" Ugh :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->